Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are Mercs/Commandos considered under powered?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why are Mercs/Commandos considered under powered?

ChaseEnglish
01.05.2013 , 12:28 PM | #1
I simply do not understand this. I have a level 42 Commando, and I do great in PvP matches. I am either top of the leader boards, or very close. I average out at about 12 medals a match, and in some cases, the reason my team wins. I am in the gunnery tree, which is said to be the under powered tree of the under powered class. So, am I just that good, and everyone else needs to L2P, or am I just really lucky and get put with really good teams, and really bad enemies?

Kitru
01.05.2013 , 01:52 PM | #2
You're level 42. That's why. You're not dealing with experienced, optimized, and organized PvPers. You're dealing with a bunch of randoms in leveling gear.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

T-Assassin
01.05.2013 , 02:12 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
You're level 42. That's why. You're not dealing with experienced, optimized, and organized PvPers. You're dealing with a bunch of randoms in leveling gear.
couldn't have said it better.

wait til 50, get in a RWZ...

all of you questions will be answered.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Asavrede
01.05.2013 , 02:15 PM | #4
Underpowered? Mercs are some of the best DPSers, after marauders probably.

ChaseEnglish
01.05.2013 , 02:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
That makes sense, in a sense. But that still does not explain how I'm able to do so well against the "OP" classes, who are also leveling. Most other Comandos/Mercs I play with are usually down at the bottum. They are in the same situation as I am. So, why is it that I'm stilll able to do so well?

ChaseEnglish
01.05.2013 , 02:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Asavrede View Post
Underpowered? Mercs are some of the best DPSers, after marauders probably.
Exactly, the forums are fillled with people complaining about how under powered these classes are, and I seem to be doing pretty well for the under powere class.

Kitru
01.05.2013 , 02:33 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ChaseEnglish View Post
So, why is it that I'm stilll able to do so well?
Most likely because you're not a complete idiot, like most people tend to be while they're leveling.

It honestly sounds like you're just fishing to compliments now. You're doing well because you're dealing with a smaller population that is vastly less organized and competitive. The people in said "OP" classes are likely either low level (so they don't have the abilities and talents that actually make them both dangerous and effective) or they simply don't know how to use their abilities properly (like interrupting which is pretty much guaranteed to lock you down hard as a Commando/Merc, using CDs so that they can just laugh at your damage, using stuns and slows and immobs so that you can't even get away).

It's not because you're somehow so awesome that you break the mold. It's because you've yet to deal with people that actually know one any of the multitudinous methods by which your class can be rendered irrelevant. It's not that complicated. Wait until you hit level 50 and start doing some competitive content before you decide that you've somehow struck upon some magical combination of strategy and skill that allows you to overturn the collective knowledge of pretty much everyone that has come before you.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

-IceHawk-
01.05.2013 , 02:58 PM | #8
Ironically enough I topped most damage charts with my Hybrid Sorcerer when I was in the 40s as well.

It is almost as if any level 40-Geared AC will horrendously trump the pristine level 30s and 20s who lack all of their class skills and have yet to max out a single spec.

PVP-Balance is a subject for EndGame, which is level 50, play.

Follow up with us after you waltz into your first Warzone decked out in Recruit Gear and face off with War Hero equipped Marauders, Snipers, and Tanksins.

Sanctioned
01.05.2013 , 03:01 PM | #9
I simply do not understand this. I have a level 42 Commando, and I do great in PvP matches. I am either top of the leader boards, or very close. I average out at about 12 medals a match, and in some cases, the reason my team wins. I am in the gunnery tree, which is said to be the under powered tree of the under powered class. So, am I just that good, and everyone else needs to L2P, or am I just really lucky and get put with really good teams, and really bad enemies?

Oh the darling optimism of a first-timer pre-50. Wait until you reach 50...then you'll be back singing a different tune; regardless if your class is actually underpowered or not.

Even Operatives, lowest DPS in the entire game, are nothing to mess with sub-50 in the hands of a capable player.
(Black Vulkars) Bastion: Dregs - 50 Operative , Dresni - 50 Assassin Fapmonster - 50 Vanguard
Shadowfire: Dregs - Spy | Ryuten - MPowers/MLS
Flurry: Ryushi - Rifleman/Creature Handler

Newyankalt
01.05.2013 , 03:52 PM | #10
Exactly, the forums are fillled with people complaining about how under powered these classes are, and I seem to be doing pretty well for the under powere class.
Wait to get 50 and try to say that again.