Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity and Tracer Missiles.

Auilt
12.20.2011 , 10:42 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Rulea View Post
So spending points in the bodyguard tree up to Critical Reaction (tier 2) is kinda useless?

Tier 1 'Improved Vents' and 'Hired Muscle' seem the only really usefull talents you can reach in the Bodyguard tree when the Arsenal tree is filled up.

And with the rest of the points you can go Pyrotech tree for 'Advanced Targetting' or some?

That raises the question though, does alacrity not also reduce GCD? If I'm bodyguard specced to heal, what's the point, I will be able to cast a faster heal due to lower cast time, but same problem, I won't be able to spam the heals any faster than the GCD..?
There is no evidence currently to suggest that alacrity reduces the GCD. All tests show that it does not. The point in bodyguard is that Rapid Scan is a 2-second cast. Alacrity actually does increase throughput in this case, but how much is not really known given the heat mechanic we are forced to work within. It's not like you can sit there and spam heals all day regardless of what your alacrity is which leads me to question how good it really is as a stat for any Mercenary tree.

There are no true DPS talents for you to take outside of Hired Muscle and Improved Vents in the Bodyguard tree and Advanced Targeting in the Pyro tree. The rest of your points (should have 2 left over) are really just for whatever utility talents you want to grab. I personally chose Med Tech because I hate having a 2.5-second Rapid Scan.

The build becomes: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rcZMIkbRMdRkfzZc.1

DrekorSilverfang
12.20.2011 , 12:52 PM | #12
Quote:
That raises the question though, does alacrity not also reduce GCD? If I'm bodyguard specced to heal, what's the point, I will be able to cast a faster heal due to lower cast time, but same problem, I won't be able to spam the heals any faster than the GCD..?
Tests thus far have shown convincing evidence that alacrity does NOT affect GCD which makes it much less powerful a stat than crit or surge. There is some oddities that indicate some abilities do not actual trigger a GCD and instead just use their own activation time as a limiter. I haven't seen any testing done on this though.

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread...ty-and-the-GCD

Rulea
12.20.2011 , 01:52 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Auilt View Post
Yeah that's what my build sorta looks like aswell.

Airees
12.20.2011 , 10:24 PM | #14
I was interested in testing out alacrity for Arsenal before launch, but after getting a good deal more experience now I can assure you that you want 0% haste as Arsenal. DO NOT pick any of the alacrity talents.

The problem has nothing to do with GCD or more heat usage due to more casts or anything like that. The "problem" is Terminal Velocity and Barrage. By reducing your cast-time by just a tiny bit you effectively make these 2 talents way less potent due to their cooldowns and they are some of the most important skills in the build.

Terminal Velocity would be proccing somewhere between 25-30% less and it's a vital skill for managing your heat. Barrage would be proccing 10-15% less and is both good for reducing heat output and increasing damage.