Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why does it feel like that Jedi Shadow tanks are squishy in pvp?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why does it feel like that Jedi Shadow tanks are squishy in pvp?

RaithHarth
01.03.2013 , 10:17 AM | #31
So for augments what would any of you suggest I do?

Should I do the following?

Defense chance 30%
Shield chance 45%
Shield Absorption 60%
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

Viikuna
01.03.2013 , 10:42 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Graziell View Post
I would like to disagree, most of the damage inflicted on a tank should be via guard, meaning it bypasses your defenses anyway.
Is this actually the case? Now last time i played a tank in PvP was more near release, but back then i for sure noticed that when my guarded target would take 1000 dmg hit (say a sage) i would take way less than that. Either because of more mitigation from armor or the passive dmg reduction from tanking 'stance'. I still don't know which.

Now this might have changed somewhere between release and today and not be the case anymore.

Just wondering, in any case.

TonyDragonflame
01.03.2013 , 10:50 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by jmsutton View Post
lol, nice troll. 8/10?

You do realize that inquisitors and consulars are mirror classes and so have exactly the same stuns that last exactly the same durations, right?
10/10
Referral link!
Guardian vr 100 | Sentinel vr 94 | Scoundrel vr 91 | Vanguard vr 91 | Shadow v 85 | Guns v 75
Manhunter 140+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

KillaChronic
01.03.2013 , 10:57 AM | #34
on my PT tank i rape shadows all the time and im not even dps! 1on 1

Envyyyyyyy
01.03.2013 , 11:24 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by KillaChronic View Post
on my PT tank i rape shadows all the time and im not even dps! 1on 1
Shadows are squishy unless they're in hybrid spec. 1v1ing me is a different story... i'll mitigate your hits and do 4-6k burst.
Vital (Shadow) Mondavi (Guardian) Midnight (Sage) Lavado (sorcerer) Enviously (Vanguard) Avaya (Operative) Anderson (Sentinel)
Thats No Moon (Founder / GM)

RaithHarth
01.03.2013 , 03:58 PM | #36
So what augments do you suggest I use? and what percentage should I go with for each?

Envyyyyyyy
01.03.2013 , 04:08 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
So what augments do you suggest I use? and what percentage should I go with for each?
A mix of Defense and shield.

32-33% Defense.
50% shield
45-50% absorb since absorb isn't a strong one in PVP for this class.

Also if you get your PVE 2set you'll get an extra 5% shield while kinetic ward is active.
Vital (Shadow) Mondavi (Guardian) Midnight (Sage) Lavado (sorcerer) Enviously (Vanguard) Avaya (Operative) Anderson (Sentinel)
Thats No Moon (Founder / GM)

RaithHarth
01.04.2013 , 10:57 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Envyyyyyyy View Post
A mix of Defense and shield.

32-33% Defense.
50% shield
45-50% absorb since absorb isn't a strong one in PVP for this class.

Also if you get your PVE 2set you'll get an extra 5% shield while kinetic ward is active.
shouldn't I go higher in absorb then if it isn't that strong in pvp? what if I went 60%?? What about diminishing returns?

funkiestj
01.04.2013 , 01:07 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
I love my Shadow. I feel squishy in Infil spec but that's about it (don't really play balance). In a 23/1/17 build you're almost unstoppable. Managing the defensive CD's is one of the hardest parts to learn for that class but once you do you really avoid a lot of damage. Especially with Spinning Kick available out of stealth for being able to stop Ravage.

A shield is basically useless in PvP. A lot of the big attacks by pass it anyway (Smash, Scream, Project all yellow damage) plus I may be wrong on this but won't white damage attacks that are crits always hit? So a shield isn't really too helpful.
to clarify shield mechanics ... shield mitigate based on attack type (melee/ranged is mitigated, force/tech is not -- no color coding for attack type) not on damage type. Armor mitigates based on damage type (white vs yellow).

And yes, auto-crit bypasses shield. When a special ability is not giving a boosted crit, it is uncommon for crit to be high enough to push shield chance lower.

So, smash (force attack) bypasses shield, as do all sage/sorc attacks (force/tech).

Check this thread for an excellent review of the shield and armor mitigation mechanics.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

JP_Legatus
01.04.2013 , 01:59 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Viikuna View Post
Is this actually the case? Now last time i played a tank in PvP was more near release, but back then i for sure noticed that when my guarded target would take 1000 dmg hit (say a sage) i would take way less than that. Either because of more mitigation from armor or the passive dmg reduction from tanking 'stance'. I still don't know which.

Now this might have changed somewhere between release and today and not be the case anymore.

Just wondering, in any case.
Someone once told me that damage taken via guard shares the same mechanics it used on the original target. IE, white damage that hits your guarded sage will apply to you as a regular white damage attack, and maybe (stretching it here) be shielded as well. Whereas yellow damage or internal damage will also be yellow or internal when it deals damage to you through your guard.
A good way to test this would be to have a sniper attack your guarded sage and see if your dark ward charges decrease.
Plaje - 55 Assassin Sorcheals - 55 Sorcerer
TheHulkk - 55 Juggernaut Riksa - 55 Marauder
Ophealing - 55 Operative Lolsniper - 55 Sniper
Overpoweredtech - 29 Powertech The Bastion http://www.twitch.tv/plajje