Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions that you did not want to take.(possible spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Companions that you did not want to take.(possible spoilers)

SithKoriandr
02.01.2013 , 07:50 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
To be honest, plenty of characters are meant to be out of place for what you might imagine from a chracter. They are there to show you that there are other ways to play your character.
Adding anarchist Kaliyo to loyalist Agent squad? Blam, Agent might start seeing things in a bit different light.
Same thing with Corso/Bowdaar, they can both show Smuggler the meaning of honor and loyalty, something one would not associate with Smugglers (think what Han Solo has been before and what he became after Ep4).
I'd be fine with that if they went about different routes to introduce them onto the ship. Like I said with Skadge, his introduction onto my BH's ship would of been much better if it was done the route of Firefly's Mal and Jane.

BH to Skadge: How much you being payed for this?
Skadge: Five percent.
BH: I'll pay you an equal share and give you a place on my ship.
Skadge: O.O *betrays buddies*

See. Big difference than.

Skadge: I'm hitching a ride with you or I'm killing you here and now.
BH: Okay you can come.

Aries_cz
02.01.2013 , 09:15 AM | #92
Yeah, I have not yet gotten to Belsavis on my Huntress, so I have not seen this situation yet. However, I am starting to see why people hate Skadge. I agree your idea is great.

But, my comment was directed at people hating Kaliyo or Corso for not fitting into what they perceive their class should be.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd and Czech Alliance, Red Eclipse
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Estriga
02.01.2013 , 06:53 PM | #93
To be honest, plenty of characters are meant to be out of place for what you might imagine from a chracter. They are there to show you that there are other ways to play your character.
Adding anarchist Kaliyo to loyalist Agent squad? Blam, Agent might start seeing things in a bit different light.
Same thing with Corso/Bowdaar, they can both show Smuggler the meaning of honor and loyalty, something one would not associate with Smugglers (think what Han Solo has been before and what he became after Ep4).
At least in the case of Kaliyo, she could work but introduced later in the story rather than being your first companion. I think that's what rubs people the wrong way. If you had been given time to establish your IA and then meet Kaliyo and have her join you, it would have made a little more sense. The type of thing she does is something that usually happens to people who have been in the information business for a long time. You do the same thing over and over and then realize you could make something extra on the side. You don't usually just jump into that sort of thing after getting your feet wet. Not if you don't want to get caught, anyways.

Yeah, I have not yet gotten to Belsavis on my Huntress
I'm starting to think one of the universal constants of TOR is that everyone has a female bounty hunter.

FROIDBUSTER
02.02.2013 , 10:15 AM | #94
Especially since I had just leveled my Inquisitor prior to my Consular, I have to say Qyzen Fess really annoyed me since he's basically a poor mans' Khem Val and his story is fairly lame.

I mean Khems' arc was rather brilliantly done. He didn't particularly like you having power over him at first, but he also didn't particularly like force users, so in between his threats to kill you he sort of just came a long for the ride. (As well as having an interesting story that was rather integral to your Inquisitors' plot). He broke away from the generic simple alien companion trope in a big way.

This is in stark contrast to Qyzens' who not only doesn't even really belong, he provides nothing pertinent to my Consular. Even the way he got onto my team was annoying.

Qyzen: 'YO you huntin' stuff'
Me: 'No, I'm not'
Qyzen: 'You sure you ain't huntin' ****?'
Me: 'I'm a healer/diplomat'
Qyzen: 'So you're not hunting?'
Me: 'I'm literally about to go the Republics capitol, nothing could be further from the wilderness'
Qyzen: 'NAH! You huntin' ****, I'm coming with you'

I mean the Bounty Hunter storyline irked me a little whenever it would try to apply bounty hunting to things that weren't ('Shutting down that shield array is basically like capturing a wanted criminal so we need you!'), but Qyzen takes that to the utmost extreme by not only being a one track trope Trandoshan but his only contribution to conversations is to talk about how in broad terms everything we're doing is 'Hunting'.

Although to be fair all of the Consular companions are pretty bad.

Connorsan
02.02.2013 , 03:12 PM | #95
For my BH: Skadge, Hands down IF i could i throw him out of the air lock, Then pull him back in and Get HK-51 to kill him in the most painfully way possible
For the Empire

SilencerSeven
02.02.2013 , 03:37 PM | #96
Most of the 'final' companions are fairly poorly implemented, imo. Most of the early ones develop the class story arcs in some way, but by the time you get around to meeting your fifth on ~belsavis the characters and conflicts are relatively well established and the new companion feels out of place; this is why the circumstances under which they join your team seem so contrived.

Skadge is the best example, but it's also true the case with scorpio, yuun and especially xalek; you'd think your first apprentice would have a more prominent place in your class story arc but noooo.

Amadahy
02.02.2013 , 03:51 PM | #97
Malavai Quinn ~ There was something about him that my character did not trust. Plus, he is/was far too stiff and regulated for my girl.
Ashara ~ I'm sorry but she just does NOT fit with the Sith Inquisitor. Unless we can either turn her darkside, or have her be a little more cooperative for LS Inquisitors.
Skadge ~ If I could shove him out of the airlock in the middle of an asteroid field I would.
Rusk ~ Just feels like a filler companion to me. No real use.
Alcaeus Legacy
Captain Naeila & Agent Melena
Harbinger

SithKoriandr
02.02.2013 , 03:56 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Amadahy View Post
Malavai Quinn ~ There was something about him that my character did not trust. Plus, he is/was far too stiff and regulated for my girl.
Ashara ~ I'm sorry but she just does NOT fit with the Sith Inquisitor. Unless we can either turn her darkside, or have her be a little more cooperative for LS Inquisitors.
Skadge ~ If I could shove him out of the airlock in the middle of an asteroid field I would.
Rusk ~ Just feels like a filler companion to me. No real use.
Having the same problem with Quinn on my SW. He just isn't much more than eye candy for her. Terrible really Soo, I stick with Vette as her personality fits with my SWs.

Ashara, I wonder if her being more cooperative with a LS Inquistor would have made me like her more.

Amadahy
02.02.2013 , 04:52 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Having the same problem with Quinn on my SW. He just isn't much more than eye candy for her. Terrible really Soo, I stick with Vette as her personality fits with my SWs.

Ashara, I wonder if her being more cooperative with a LS Inquistor would have made me like her more.
Ahh, so good to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I really, really wanted to like Quinn but I'm just not feeling it. I stick with Vette also since she fits my SW. The same goes for Lt. Pierce as well, who is absolutely perfect for my girl. I just wish the romance with him went farther than it did.

My Sith Inquisitor is LS and I still cannot stand Ashara. lol. It does not matter what my girl does there is no way to make Ashara happy. I'm hoping, if companion stories are continued, that she will come around.
Alcaeus Legacy
Captain Naeila & Agent Melena
Harbinger

SithKoriandr
02.03.2013 , 10:33 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Amadahy View Post
Ahh, so good to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I really, really wanted to like Quinn but I'm just not feeling it. I stick with Vette also since she fits my SW. The same goes for Lt. Pierce as well, who is absolutely perfect for my girl. I just wish the romance with him went farther than it did.

My Sith Inquisitor is LS and I still cannot stand Ashara. lol. It does not matter what my girl does there is no way to make Ashara happy. I'm hoping, if companion stories are continued, that she will come around.
When I rolled up my SW, a friend who knows me well told me from the beginning, "You're going to hate Quinn. He won't fit with your choices at all. You're going to want Quinn's looks with Pierces attitude." And she looks to be right (haven't gotten to Pierce yet)