Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: The Teachings of Odan-Urr- Jedi Code

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: The Teachings of Odan-Urr- Jedi Code

Aurbere
02.04.2013 , 03:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by LanceCorporalDan View Post
Hey Aurbere,

I would just like to thank you for all of you very insightful and interesting threads! I myself am a lore fanatic of lord of the rings and am just recently getting into the star wars lore. It's always a pleasure reading and learning from your threads. I find myself like a young jedi listening to the lessons and lectures of a wise jedi master hahaha.

anyways thanks for the threads man!!! Keep it up

Knowledge is power, and I want moooaaarree!! lol

"You've taken your first step into a larger world."

Thanks for reading, and more importantly, thanks for enjoying them. If you want to read all of them, check out the Index in my sig.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Zardac_the_Great
02.05.2013 , 09:52 AM | #22
It's often the most intelligent people who are the most stupid.

If this Odan-Urr had thought for about two seconds, he could have forseen that putting "There is no" into the code that all Jedi are supposed to live by would lead to the results we have. He may have been as wise as you say, but he knows diddly squat about people.

Aurbere
02.05.2013 , 11:47 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Zardac_the_Great View Post
It's often the most intelligent people who are the most stupid.

If this Odan-Urr had thought for about two seconds, he could have forseen that putting "There is no" into the code that all Jedi are supposed to live by would lead to the results we have. He may have been as wise as you say, but he knows diddly squat about people.
You only see what is right in front of you. You only see the words, and yet having their meaning explained to you does nothing. That is how Odan-Urr felt when teaching the true meaning of The Code.

The Jedi Code is not a set of rules. No matter how much you want it to be, it is not. The Code was meant to be a path to mastery of The Force, it was turned into rules by the Jedi that didn't understand it. Odan-Urr relied on the wisdom of his peers to see the true meaning of the Code and actually fulfill the second line.

Do you think Odan-Urr simply let people misinterpret the Code and do nothing? You would be wrong. He lectured the entire Order on the true meaning of the Code. He laid out the true meaning of the Code right in front of them, and many Jedi were still incapable of seeing past 'there is no.' Because of this, the Code was turned into rules when Odan-Urr waws no longer around to explain it. The true meaning of the Code was lost, known to only the wisest of Jedi.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Kalrenan
02.07.2013 , 12:56 PM | #24
((First of all, this thread is so full of win that you can feel the Force flowing through it. Thank you very much.

Now, to what is right now concerning me.

As I'm new player and willing to role play a Jedi Knight, I have a question about the acting of the members of the Order and the relation of them with the Code.

How do you recommend to role play a Jedi Guardian that wants to understand fully the Code, in the way master Odan-Urr wanted instead of as a set of rules, like is used in the current time of the game?

Thanks in advance.))
Kalrenan Starstrider, Jedi Knight.

"There is no death, there is the Force."
- The Jedi Code

Aurbere
02.07.2013 , 01:17 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalrenan View Post
((As I'm new player and willing to role play a Jedi Knight, I have a question about the acting of the members of the Order and the relation of them with the Code.

How do you recommend to role play a Jedi Guardian that wants to understand full the Code, in the way master Odan-Urr wanted instead of as a set of rules, like is used in the current time of the game?

Thanks in advance.))
If you plan on role-playing a follower of the true Code, I suggest the following:

1. You can have emotions and passions, but don't let them control your actions.
2. Think about the big picture. How are your actions going to affect you and those around*. (Generally, there aren't that many choices that have impacts on the overall story, but the ones that do are quite profound)
3. Help people. It doesn't matter which side they are on- death is not necessary unless forced. So don't pull out your lightsaber unless you plan on defending yourself or killing someone.
4. Put others before yourself. You are a defender of The Republic, and a servant to the highest power in the galaxy. Defend others from those who would do them harm. Do so with no fear of death.

Basically, you are going for Light V. Help people and keep your emotions in check (not supplant them, keep them in check).

*Final Jedi Knight quest spoilers:

Spoiler

Leonick
02.07.2013 , 01:48 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
You only see what is right in front of you. You only see the words, and yet having their meaning explained to you does nothing. That is how Odan-Urr felt when teaching the true meaning of The Code.

The Jedi Code is not a set of rules. No matter how much you want it to be, it is not. The Code was meant to be a path to mastery of The Force, it was turned into rules by the Jedi that didn't understand it. Odan-Urr relied on the wisdom of his peers to see the true meaning of the Code and actually fulfill the second line.

Do you think Odan-Urr simply let people misinterpret the Code and do nothing? You would be wrong. He lectured the entire Order on the true meaning of the Code. He laid out the true meaning of the Code right in front of them, and many Jedi were still incapable of seeing past 'there is no.' Because of this, the Code was turned into rules when Odan-Urr waws no longer around to explain it. The true meaning of the Code was lost, known to only the wisest of Jedi.
But really, look at it. Don't you think the "old" code is much closer to what is the actual meaning?
In the old version the true meaning is pretty much there, "Emotion, yet peace". While it might have been following generations of Jedi that forgot the true meaning and started to treat the code as strict rules the fact remains that old version is close to the "true meaning" and Odan-Urr's clarification of the code is in some part responsible for the misinterpretations.

Of course, as I said earlier, I believe (not completely sure) the code that is now said to be Odan-Urr's was the first one included in Star Wars lore, the older version of it was added later and the explanation for the change got a bit screwed up.
My Characters on the Progenitor
Raiah - Jedi Consular (Sage), Nesalia - Smuggler (Scoundrel)
Guild: The Kestrel Minority