Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: The Teachings of Odan-Urr- Jedi Code

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: The Teachings of Odan-Urr- Jedi Code

Phoenixbowman
02.02.2013 , 09:57 PM | #11
Orgus Din did not get that memo. Because what he said about a Jedi not having ANY emotion or ANY passion directly contradicts what Odan-Urr taught.

Aurbere
02.02.2013 , 10:47 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixbowman View Post
Orgus Din did not get that memo. Because what he said about a Jedi not having ANY emotion or ANY passion directly contradicts what Odan-Urr taught.
If you're going to listen to anyone, listen to Odan-Urr. He is one of the wisest Jedi Masters of all time.

Now, what we have here is a severe case of misunderstanding the teachings of Odan-Urr. He relied on the wisdom of the Jedi to actually see the true meaning of the Jedi Code. After his death, the Code became a set of rules. Which is exactly the opposite of what he wanted it to be. The Jedi Code is a path to mastery of The Force.

Orgus Din (along with many Jedi) only took the Code at face value. They saw the words and took them too literally. They didn't use the wisdom of the Jedi to see the true meaning. Very few Jedi could actually do this.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

Phoenixbowman
02.02.2013 , 11:07 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
If you're going to listen to anyone, listen to Odan-Urr. He is one of the wisest Jedi Masters of all time.

Now, what we have here is a severe case of misunderstanding the teachings of Odan-Urr. He relied on the wisdom of the Jedi to actually see the true meaning of the Jedi Code. After his death, the Code became a set of rules. Which is exactly the opposite of what he wanted it to be. The Jedi Code is a path to mastery of The Force.

Orgus Din (along with many Jedi) only took the Code at face value. They saw the words and took them too literally. They didn't use the wisdom of the Jedi to see the true meaning. Very few Jedi could actually do this.
Ah okay. Thank you for clearing that up.

Aurbere
02.02.2013 , 11:15 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixbowman View Post
Ah okay. Thank you for clearing that up.
No problem. Aside from being historical and informative, clearing up misconceptions is what these threads started out as.
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

Beniboybling
02.03.2013 , 05:35 AM | #15
No problem. Aside from being historical and informative, clearing up misconceptions is what these threads started out as.
Lol, yeah. Like that thread on Revan...

Aurbere
02.03.2013 , 12:03 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Lol, yeah. Like that thread on Revan...
/sigh

Yeah.

Leonick
02.03.2013 , 12:27 PM | #17
The Jedi Code was created as a guide for a Jedi to fully master The Force. While many Jedi study the Jedi Code, few actually understand it. Which led to the Jedi Code turning into something that Odan-Urr did not intend (I blame Atris, personally). This 'transformation' caused confusion in the Jedi ranks, and the Code became a major tool for the Sith to turn Jedi to the Dark Side.
I'd like to blame Odan-Urr... The Jedi code the precedes his revisions says exactly what it means while his is less clear, funny considering how he supposedly did the revision to simplify it any make it less confusing. Of course, that's lore chronology I think, in our world his version of the Jedi Code existed first didn't it?

Very good job on the thread though. Far too many take the code at face value. I see you've got quite a collection of other threads, I'll have to check them out.
My Characters on the Progenitor
Raiah - Jedi Consular (Sage), Nesalia - Smuggler (Scoundrel)
Guild: The Kestrel Minority

Aurbere
02.03.2013 , 01:07 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Leonick View Post
I'd like to blame Odan-Urr... The Jedi code the precedes his revisions says exactly what it means while his is less clear, funny considering how he supposedly did the revision to simplify it any make it less confusing. Of course, that's lore chronology I think, in our world his version of the Jedi Code existed first didn't it?

Very good job on the thread though. Far too many take the code at face value. I see you've got quite a collection of other threads, I'll have to check them out.
The Jedi Code was turned into rules by the Jedi Order. Odan-Urr's revision was meant to be a path to mastery of The Force. That meaning, as well as the true meaning of the words of the Code, were lost as time went on.

I would appreciate it if you didn't post on the Revan thread. Not my best work

And thanks for reading. You can find all of the threads in the Index in my sig.

Aries_cz
02.04.2013 , 08:56 AM | #19
Well, this is a very interesting interpretation, much similar (but much better written) to what I concluded while studying the original version of the Code:
Emotion, yet Peace
Ignorance, yet Knowledge
Passion, yet Serenity
Chaos, yet Harmony
Death, yet the Force

While reading this over and over, I came to a conclusion that unlike in revised version by Odan-Urr, this Code does not directly state anything about "forbidding" (as many usually interpret it) something (the absence of "There is no" parts).

So, while the updated Code is easier to understand, it is also much more prone to misinterpretation.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

LanceCorporalDan
02.04.2013 , 02:27 PM | #20
Hey Aurbere,

I would just like to thank you for all of you very insightful and interesting threads! I myself am a lore fanatic of lord of the rings and am just recently getting into the star wars lore. It's always a pleasure reading and learning from your threads. I find myself like a young jedi listening to the lessons and lectures of a wise jedi master hahaha.

anyways thanks for the threads man!!! Keep it up

Knowledge is power, and I want moooaaarree!! lol

Lieutenant Neves
1st Assault Platoon Commander
ALPHA COMPANY
203rd Republic Expeditionary Legion