Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag Spikes and Random Shutdowns Solution

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Lag Spikes and Random Shutdowns Solution

Bradtuki
01.01.2013 , 01:00 PM | #1
I have an Answer for many people out there who are still struggling with these issue's, after how frustrated i became with these issues myself, i felt that i needed to explain a fix and how it works here.

If you are using Windows 7, then your problem could likely be the same as mine, I would get Random game crashes with no warning, latency issues going up to 200'000+ and major Spikes; This is caused by windows 7, i will explain in Basics how this works.

My understanding is; Although your internet and Latency speed may seem okay, Windows 7 Constantly Delays the Packets it receives on purpose to avoid packet flooding, but this can cause a "Blockage" effect, because Swtor servers are kicking out Packets Faster then your PC is allowed to confirm and accept them, your computer cannot catch up with the game, creating a large spike, sometimes it will eventually push through while its frozen so your game catches up and continues to run, however when it becomes to much, It cannot physically catch up with the mass of information being received so it shuts the game down.

Even if your Latency is low, your internet is fast, your Graphics are fine, I really really recommend you try this fix, it worked wonders for me.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING, scroll down to step "1"
The steps for the fix are here http://windows7themes.net/how-to-imp...windows-7.html, although this was a fix for WoW it is the same principle.

I Hope this helped, please feel free to post if this worked for you also.
Brad

DAXYL
01.03.2013 , 06:02 AM | #2
I am using windows 8 pro and previously 7 was getting the freeze thing happening pretty much every session performed this easy tweak and just ran 2hms and did some grinding on another char and had no freeze will reply again after a few more sessions but this tweak seemed to fix the freezing prob

Should be stickied

No freezes again last night

jprife
01.03.2013 , 06:58 AM | #3
This sounds exactly what is happening with my system, and so I will try the tweak and get back to you. Hope this works and I don't screw anything up.

KShafe
01.05.2013 , 11:50 AM | #4
i tried this.. for a time it seemed to have helped.. but then the "BW Effect" kicked in and even though the packet transmission maybe helped at your own computer with this fix, it doesn't fix the true problem that exists at bw's servers. I love red x's....
StarStyder - Lvl 55 Sentinel
DirtRyderz - LvL 55 Gunslinger
SunStryder - LvL 55 Inquisitor
Strydetrain - LvL 55 Vanguard

ChaosCalling
01.05.2013 , 12:05 PM | #5
Attempted this. Although it did solve the red X problem the stuttering got worse, especially on fleet. At times it was like watching 8mm film at half speed. I gave up and deleted the entries. I'd rather get an occasional red X than walk through jello to get to the GTN.

Thanks for trying though!
SW:TOR has so many issues, we should get together and hire it a Psychiatrist.

DAXYL
01.05.2013 , 05:45 PM | #6
Well after doing this tweak I can now play for hours with no freezing my ping is 38ms even on fleet are u sure you put the entries in the right folder?

jprife
01.07.2013 , 07:12 AM | #7
OK, after trying this for a week, I can say that it did alleviate much of the lag but not all of it. The game has become playable again for me, but I'm still getting occasional latency and red x's, but not enough to kick me out as before. Also, when they do happen, the lag spikes only go up to about 50K now, instead of the 200k-500K previously.

So there is something to be said for this partial fix.

dvrocc
01.07.2013 , 01:17 PM | #8
I can confim that the those two options work if you add them in the correct spots xD I have used those for many years while playing the silly Pandacraft game long before there was a playable panda, but anyway. There is several choices out there and three I can think of is simple.

when I discovered how to go from 145ms latency in WoW to 65ms latency by changing two options in Windows XP/Windows 7 I never when back, it made a huge difference when raiding and a very noticable difference when just out and about grinding or farming, all the delays in casting or mounting were a lot less to there is more to this change then just being kicked to the desktop. I also use the changes once I reformatted my PC and everything is updated, it doesn't take long about 30 minutes once you changed/installed and tested.

1. the simplest for those not PC tech savy! its called "Leatrix Latency Fix" Google it if you wish, its made by some one who plays MMOs and it works in swtor.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

2. a bit more detail with a GUI config with discriptions and recommendations when you mouse over the options. This one is called "TCP Optimizer"
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

3. for the PC tech savy or can be used to research and understand why swtor and other MMO's decided its time to kick you to your own desktop no questions asked. Its called "Speedguide.com"
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574

Popadopolous
01.07.2013 , 08:14 PM | #9
Just created the 2 registry keys in 2 different folders and when I logged back on lag was still there. Unfortunately the first option in this thread didn't work.

I was lagging and crashed to desktop. Tried steps from the link in the first post and I went back to the game and see everyone screaming laaaaaag and it took a good 20 seconds for my class-quest satele shan story to automatically start and also took about 5 seconds between each reply I chose.

timboprod
01.15.2013 , 03:53 AM | #10
This solved my random lagspike problem THANKS!