Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can a Fully Honed Mandalorian beat a Jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Can a Fully Honed Mandalorian beat a Jedi?

Aurbere
01.18.2013 , 11:02 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Yes if they are smart, a sith moreso. Even fighting on the Mando terms, Mandlore the Indomintable couldn't beat Exar Kun when he had all the advantages. Key is fighting smarter, not stupider use your abilities.
Correction: MtI fought Ulic Qel-Droma.
Added Chapter 64 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Wolfninjajedi
01.18.2013 , 11:19 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Correction: MtI fought Ulic Qel-Droma.
Edit: Oh wait he never did fight any Mando....why did I say Kun? << Hmm...but ya ok gonna go change that then.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

TalonVII
01.18.2013 , 01:40 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
True, that was a trap. And Vader owned those guys. But then again, that's Vader, a powerful Sith Lord not an average Jedi. Even so, force sense gives the force user the advantage.
Incorrect. See this is the problem that needs to be settled before we can continue. See a force user wouldn't know exactly what kind of traps i would set. He/she would only feel DANGER, not i have:

A. Minefiled
B. Auto targeting turrets
C. Tripwires to claymores etc

The force user wouldn't know exactly what i did, he'd need time to figure it out. This is why I hate the line "they'd know exactly what is there because of the force." That's a fallacy.

If i was going to take down say Vader for example i would use all of those to DISTRACT him. See eventhough he has the force, he's still at the core of it all human and he has to rely on his senses as much as the force. And plus he can only pay attention to so much.

I'd use all those to keep his attention, sneak up and use an Ion cannon on his behind. Short out his suit, what does he have left, he has to use the force just to keep himself alive.

But that's just one example.

A force user can be defeated and it's not as hard as you all make it out to be, just have to overwhelm them and then take them down. Simple tactics.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Wolfninjajedi
01.18.2013 , 03:12 PM | #104
Edit: Just nvrm this post Talon, this isn't about Vader here.

Path-x
01.18.2013 , 05:04 PM | #105
Anyone can beat any Jedi. You just need to shoot him in the back.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Beniboybling
01.18.2013 , 05:23 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Incorrect. See this is the problem that needs to be settled before we can continue. See a force user wouldn't know exactly what kind of traps i would set. He/she would only feel DANGER, not i have:

A. Minefiled
B. Auto targeting turrets
C. Tripwires to claymores etc

The force user wouldn't know exactly what i did, he'd need time to figure it out. This is why I hate the line "they'd know exactly what is there because of the force." That's a fallacy.

If i was going to take down say Vader for example i would use all of those to DISTRACT him. See eventhough he has the force, he's still at the core of it all human and he has to rely on his senses as much as the force. And plus he can only pay attention to so much.

I'd use all those to keep his attention, sneak up and use an Ion cannon on his behind. Short out his suit, what does he have left, he has to use the force just to keep himself alive.

But that's just one example.

A force user can be defeated and it's not as hard as you all make it out to be, just have to overwhelm them and then take them down. Simple tactics.
Well I wasn't saying that exactly. All I'm saying is that a Jedi would have an edge in that respect because of Force sense and precognition. And Force sense would help alot, because it will tell them to move just as they approached a trap.

But yes, I agree. Jedi are not invincible but in this scenario your giving the element of suprise to the Mandalorian. Without that the Mando loses most of the time. Or alternatively we can match up which traps would be most effective. Jedi traps of Mando traps. IMO Jedi traps, all they'd have to do is jump out from wherever and deal a killing blow. Be it through the lightsaber, or using the Force.

yoomazir
01.18.2013 , 10:17 PM | #107
I think Jango Fett in the movie resumes pretty much what a mando is capable of, taking by surpise a random Jedi and was on par (at least for a while) with a bunch of the strongest jedis: Obiwan & Windu.
The problems is, he relied A LOT on his equipement & gadgets, one malfunction and it was over.

So basically this is what I think a top of the line mando/bh can do against a force user: as long as he has surprise attack & good equipement it could be a 50/50% chance, this is at least from what we can see from the "canon" movie, but tthat's something I don't like, it makes Jedis lose their appeal with the whole use of Force being pased as merely magic tricks...

Wolfninjajedi
01.18.2013 , 10:36 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
I think Jango Fett in the movie resumes pretty much what a mando is capable of, taking by surpise a random Jedi and was on par (at least for a while) with a bunch of the strongest jedis: Obiwan & Windu.
The problems is, he relied A LOT on his equipement & gadgets, one malfunction and it was over.

So basically this is what I think a top of the line mando/bh can do against a force user: as long as he has surprise attack & good equipement it could be a 50/50% chance, this is at least from what we can see from the "canon" movie, but tthat's something I don't like, it makes Jedis lose their appeal with the whole use of Force being pased as merely magic tricks...
How did Jango take Obi-Wan by surprise? He wasn't really on par with either Obi-Wan or Windu(especially Windu). Though I will agree, ya he did rely on most of his equipment(jetpack, rocket, whip cord, flamethrower, pistols) but none of his equipment(at least offensive) really accomplished anything.

1. Jetpack gave him a flight advantage, so it accomplished what it was for.

2. Rocket...just knocked Obi-Wan off his feet.

3. Whip Cord, just dragged Obi-Wan around before he rooted himself with The Force and pulled Jango out of the sky.

4. Flamethrower, just burned Windu's cloak.

5. Pistols....did nothing...like literally to those two guys.
===

I mean unless Jango was aiming his rocket to knock Obi-Wan down, so Boba could blast him with Slave 1's ship cannons, then that was the only thing that remotely did anything of value to Obi-Wan.

strykerxd
01.19.2013 , 01:07 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Bird_of_Thunder View Post
im voting for Satine to go down. if not her, Ashoka. anyways...

Mandalorians had a fierce reputation as "Jedi-killers" because of a select few of their kind. A fully-honed Mando vs. a Jedi? lets look.

Boba Fett fought Darth Vader and survived, even earning the Dark Lord's respect. Jango Fett stood up to Obi-Wan Kenobi, and fell in battle against the most prominent lightsaber duelist of his time (Mace Windu). Mandalore fought with Kun and had all the advantages, but lost anyway. Why? Because Kun had Sith magic on his side.

Pre Viszla managed a short duel with Kenobi as well. And Viszla isn't even fully-honed. Bo Katan fought Ashoka, but neither won. It comes down to the gear in the end.

The gear here could be:

Fully-honed Mando:
Crushgaunts
Blaster carbine
Flamethrower
Electrostaff/Force pike

Jedi:
Lightsaber
The Force

depending on the gear, the Mando's got it. Crushgaunts are devastating, Force pikes and Electrostaffs are great lightsaber counters, and Jedi can't block flamethrowers (its possible but I'd bet the Mando would throw in the flames as a surprise).

Gotta hand it to them Mandos. I do believe Traviss overrated them, but I do love Mandos as well.
Either Jedi or Mando has a chance here. The odds seem to be stacked one way (Jedi), but ya never know
Not exactly overrated because of the null arcs who were the best trained clones ever and discovered grevious.

CassusVerda
01.19.2013 , 05:23 PM | #110
Yes...Potentially. Will it happen every single time in every scenario....no.

Reasoning Jedi aren't invincible. They have been killed by Non Force Sensitives before. The Mandalorians are among the best high caliber warriors in the Star Wars Galaxy that doesn't rely on the force. It can be possible to counter a Lightsaber with certain tactics like with a Sai like weapon that can catch the hilt and allow a person ample time to draw their blaster and fire (Which is what a Sai is really designed for, to catch a blade). Mandalorians can wear Bes'kar Neck Collars that prevent Decaptiation. Just spit balling.
EBON HAWK
"THE MANDALORIANS"
http://themandalorians.enjin.com/home
Aliit Kohr: Mains: 55 Snip Ba'slan 55 Op AP-XT (Assassin Droid) 55 PT D'Cassus