Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can a Fully Honed Mandalorian beat a Jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Can a Fully Honed Mandalorian beat a Jedi?

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.17.2013 , 11:23 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Precursor View Post
Due to the Force and it's telekinetic abilities, wouldn't a Jedi win every time? I mean, at least as a Jedi Knight or Master, because they could simply disarm the mando, pull him over, and proceed to mutilate him.
Yes if they are smart, a sith moreso. Even fighting on the Mando terms, Mandlore the Indomintable couldn't beat Ulic Qel-Droma when he had all the advantages. Key is fighting smarter, not stupider use your abilities.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Bird_of_Thunder's Avatar


Bird_of_Thunder
01.17.2013 , 11:46 PM | #92
im voting for Satine to go down. if not her, Ashoka. anyways...

Mandalorians had a fierce reputation as "Jedi-killers" because of a select few of their kind. A fully-honed Mando vs. a Jedi? lets look.

Boba Fett fought Darth Vader and survived, even earning the Dark Lord's respect. Jango Fett stood up to Obi-Wan Kenobi, and fell in battle against the most prominent lightsaber duelist of his time (Mace Windu). Mandalore fought with Kun and had all the advantages, but lost anyway. Why? Because Kun had Sith magic on his side.

Pre Viszla managed a short duel with Kenobi as well. And Viszla isn't even fully-honed. Bo Katan fought Ashoka, but neither won. It comes down to the gear in the end.

The gear here could be:

Fully-honed Mando:
Crushgaunts
Blaster carbine
Flamethrower
Electrostaff/Force pike

Jedi:
Lightsaber
The Force


depending on the gear, the Mando's got it. Crushgaunts are devastating, Force pikes and Electrostaffs are great lightsaber counters, and Jedi can't block flamethrowers (its possible but I'd bet the Mando would throw in the flames as a surprise).

Gotta hand it to them Mandos. I do believe Traviss overrated them, but I do love Mandos as well.
Either Jedi or Mando has a chance here. The odds seem to be stacked one way (Jedi), but ya never know
Darth Ravvok
Carnage Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.17.2013 , 11:48 PM | #93
Boba never truly has fought Vader and only survived due to a plot device without that he would have been ****ed, I went over that in my last post. A fully trained Mando vs a fully trained Jedi Knight/Sith? Ya the latter has it(if both characters are written as should be.) I can give you Ahsoka though.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

TheSelkie's Avatar


TheSelkie
01.18.2013 , 12:17 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Precursor View Post
Due to the Force and it's telekinetic abilities, wouldn't a Jedi win every time? I mean, at least as a Jedi Knight or Master, because they could simply disarm the mando, pull him over, and proceed to mutilate him.
It makes the universe a lot less interesting if Jedi can just think everyone to death. Realistically, consider the weight of the rocks etc. Jedi are shown to lift with the force - much heavier than a normal person could lift with one arm, therefore the same force applied to someone's arm would prevent him from aiming at you. From there it's a very, very small amount of pressure required to close someone's airways.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.18.2013 , 12:22 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSelkie View Post
It makes the universe a lot less interesting if Jedi can just think everyone to death. Realistically, consider the weight of the rocks etc. Jedi are shown to lift with the force - much heavier than a normal person could lift with one arm, therefore the same force applied to someone's arm would prevent him from aiming at you. From there it's a very, very small amount of pressure required to close someone's airways.
Well a jedi wouldn't resort to lethal tactics right away, so of course right out the gate(or really anytime) they wouldn't go and choke their opponent. They could however, just rip and disarm them of their blaster(which coming at a jedi or sith with a blaster is stupid anyway), or push them down knocking them off their feet....a fully trained sith however? Ya...I don't see a Mando lasting against a fully trained Sith Lord in open straight combat.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

TheSelkie's Avatar


TheSelkie
01.18.2013 , 01:10 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Well a jedi wouldn't resort to lethal tactics right away, so of course right out the gate(or really anytime) they wouldn't go and choke their opponent. They could however, just rip and disarm them of their blaster(which coming at a jedi or sith with a blaster is stupid anyway), or push them down knocking them off their feet....a fully trained sith however? Ya...I don't see a Mando lasting against a fully trained Sith Lord in open straight combat.
Oh I'm not saying that's what they'd do, I was just highlighting that in a fight to the death, if they wanted to a Jedi could kill any non-force user with relative ease. Thinking about it now, they kind of wast a lot of time training with lightsabers considering how easy it would be to break someone's arms with the force.

But as you've said, attacking them head on with anything is pretty much suicide if they want you dead, so a trap of some form is your only real option. Unless they sense the danger, but for the purposes of the plot we all know how inconsistent a power that tends to be

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
01.18.2013 , 08:06 AM | #97
Something else many do not think about. Circumstances of the battle.

Wolf riddle me this. Had Boba Fett had time to prepare the battlefield, shape it with traps, IEDs, stuff to trip Vader up, overwhelm with so many threats, THEN attack when he had the advantage, I'd bet that the battle would of gone a whole lot differently.

It's one thing when a mando or non force user stumbles on somebody like Vader, yeah Vader has all the advantages.

But when one has prepared and shaped the battlefield and knows what is coming, it's a whole different story.

Negate the advantages of the force, or better yet find ways to make their greatest strength, their own worst enemy[and yes it can be done], whole different outcome.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.18.2013 , 08:11 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Something else many do not think about. Circumstances of the battle.

Wolf riddle me this. Had Boba Fett had time to prepare the battlefield, shape it with traps, IEDs, stuff to trip Vader up, overwhelm with so many threats, THEN attack when he had the advantage, I'd bet that the battle would of gone a whole lot differently.

It's one thing when a mando or non force user stumbles on somebody like Vader, yeah Vader has all the advantages.

But when one has prepared and shaped the battlefield and knows what is coming, it's a whole different story.

Negate the advantages of the force, or better yet find ways to make their greatest strength, their own worst enemy[and yes it can be done], whole different outcome.
True, but Vader would have probably sensed those traps through the Force. Remember what HK said, overplanning is the worst thing you can do, spur of the moment tactics are far more effective.

And remember we can only really assess their abilities of both combatants fight on a level playing field. Take away prior knowledge of the battle takes away the element of surprise. We have to look at this from both angles, say Vader knew the battle would take place, his traps would probably be more deadly than Boba's. Basically due to Force sense Jedi have the advantage concerning surprise attacks and traps.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.18.2013 , 09:33 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Something else many do not think about. Circumstances of the battle.

Wolf riddle me this. Had Boba Fett had time to prepare the battlefield, shape it with traps, IEDs, stuff to trip Vader up, overwhelm with so many threats, THEN attack when he had the advantage, I'd bet that the battle would of gone a whole lot differently.

It's one thing when a mando or non force user stumbles on somebody like Vader, yeah Vader has all the advantages.

But when one has prepared and shaped the battlefield and knows what is coming, it's a whole different story.

Negate the advantages of the force, or better yet find ways to make their greatest strength, their own worst enemy[and yes it can be done], whole different outcome.
Except that kinda thing has already happened with Vader, against 8 Jedi on Kessel who set an ambush for him and even one of them had a cortosis blade and they still lost. It wasn't as extensive, but they were Jedi Masters one of which having a cortosis blade to short out Vader's saber and they still got their asses handed to them. Besides overplanning and setting a bunch of traps as Beni said isn't a good idea, moreso this is Vader were speaking of and he has survived worse then a few traps.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.18.2013 , 10:04 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Except that kinda thing has already happened with Vader, against 8 Jedi on Kessel who set an ambush for him and even one of them had a cortosis blade and they still lost. It wasn't as extensive, but they were Jedi Masters one of which having a cortosis blade to short out Vader's saber and they still got their asses handed to them. Besides overplanning and setting a bunch of traps as Beni said isn't a good idea, moreso this is Vader were speaking of and he has survived worse then a few traps.
True, that was a trap. And Vader owned those guys. But then again, that's Vader, a powerful Sith Lord not an average Jedi. Even so, force sense gives the force user the advantage.