Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PowerTech Or assassin

happyfeetx
12.27.2012 , 08:23 PM | #1
i dont know which one to pick to start leveling For PVE mostly until 50 raids
tank spec
whats the differences between them

_gideon
12.28.2012 , 05:55 AM | #2
Check the first sticky.

MikeFL
12.28.2012 , 10:17 AM | #3
I am currently debating between Assassin and Powertech as well. As I understand it:

Assassin's are harder to master, Powertechs are considered the easier tank to play due to their survivability being mostly in passive shielding (aka your gear/talents/etc. keeps you alive), whereas the Assassin must constantly manage his cooldowns for self heals and keeping Dark Ward up (which is vital to Assassin tanking).

Assassin's have the most damage output and threat generation of any tank class in the game. They have very good survivability but they take damage more "wildly"...what I mean is, the way they take damage is pretty unpredictable, sometimes they only take a bit, sometimes they take a lot. This is fine, though, as it is part of Assassin tanking. New Assassin tanks and their healers might not be used to it at first, so it takes time to get used to. Keep in mind a big part of Assassin tanking is the self-heals they get from using certain abilities, so failing to keep up a proper rotation and using these means you'll die pretty quick. They lack any of the range-closing abilities that Juggs and Powertechs have, but they do have stealth. Harder to close the gap when you are in a sticky situation, but helpful in other ways. Its a trade off you must consider.

Powertechs, as said before, have more passive damage mitigation, meaning you don't really have to do anything to ensure that you are "beefy". They also take damage more evenly, so while Assassin's health bars will jump around more, Powertechs have a more steady rate of taking damage. This isn't a pro or con for either side, just a difference in how they play. Powertechs have the second-best threat generation of the three tank classes but have the bonus of wearing heavy armor, which Assassin's can't use. Furthermore, Powertechs are versatile in the sense that you have some ranged abilities as well. Granted, most of your abilities will be at melee range and the Powertech's bread and butter is melee range tanking, but you are not limited to that and can feasibly pull targets that are farther away with a variety of long-range abilities that Powertechs have. You also start off with a healer companion so, its pretty legitimately awesome the whole way through as other tanking AC's like Jedi Guardian and Assassin have to wait quite a while for their healer. Plus you have a grapple hook for pulling enemies towards you and a leap to close a gap quite well.

Well, thats pretty much what I know about these tanks. I hope it helps! On one last note, just in case you wanted my opinion, I personally am leading towards Powertech. Bounty Hunter was the only class that felt really powerful on the starter planet. I mean, from level 1-25 (which is where my Powertech is now) you literally just blow through everything quite easily. Some people knock it for being too simple, and if you are the kind of person that wants to be super active in every fight, managing cooldowns, managing procs for self heals, needing to really be aware of positioning, etc., then go Assassin and don't look back. Powertech may be a more simple tank, but its still hella fun. I mean, you get to rush up, punch a dude in the face, shoot fire into his face and then send a friggin missile into his face. And not to mention that other players can hear a BH fighting from really far away with all the bangs and explosions going on.

Anyway, hope this helps!
Praxys - 50 Sorcerer Nylost - 50 Sniper Sythion - 32 Marauder Rexxel - 25 Mercenary
Kilaeon - 32 Guardian Fordan - 25 Vanguard

happyfeetx
12.28.2012 , 05:54 PM | #4
thanks that help alot powertech it is