Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which light saber class doesnt need tons of keybinds?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Which light saber class doesnt need tons of keybinds?

Dabrixmgp
12.27.2012 , 08:30 AM | #1
Been wanting to try out either a Jugg/Mara or their Pub classes but every PvP video I watch they have like 4 hotbars of stuff keybound. I dont have a fancy gaming mouse or keyboard but I still want to try one of them out because they look like a lot of fun to play. But Im not very good at juggling a bunch of abilities. Do you really need all of those abilities in the first place? Also every time I do a /who for those classes it turns up the most people. I dont think so many people would be playing them if they were very difficult and required a ton of keybinds because I highly doubt all of them are pro gamers using expensive gaming mice.

Commander_Hawke
12.27.2012 , 08:39 AM | #2
To get the most out of any of the classes you need to learn the shift/button combos if you dont have a 'fance mouse'.

Every class, and yes, EVERY class has 10 standard advanced moves.

All classes but 2 advanced classes have an interrupt.
All classes have a short duration stun
All classes have a stun break.
All classes have 3 signature attack moves that you do your combo with (some have more)
Some classes have other function moves like force leap, stealth, emergency stealth, harpoon, etc
All classes have some kind of shielding utility and some type of secondary utility that has a cooldown...

This is pretty standard, and fits along similiar pattern among all the classes. Now you can limit your keyboard hotkeys to the one quickbar, but you will be hurting yourself. Things like relics, adrenals, healkits, you could have mouse bound, but you will still find there are a number of moves you will need to execute quickly. The above is a part of that list to be effective.

Freedannad
12.27.2012 , 09:33 AM | #3
Player Vs. Player is a different animal then pve. Yes, you can get by by just using a few abilities, but to be honest you will not be able to compete against someone that uses them all. The players that you see juggling abilities are doing so to be more effective. If I were you I would start with the main 2 toolbars and go from there. Remember that if you are clicking you are playing a different game then the ppl who are hotkeying. Clicking by nature has to be slower do to the fact that you are using the mouse to click attacks while others are using mouse strictly for movement and targeting. There are many guides that teach you how to hotkey without using a special keyboard and mouse.

Zarakaar
12.27.2012 , 02:44 PM | #4
I haven't played a Guardian/Jugg, but I can tell you that an effective Marauder/Sentinel is going to need a whole lot of keybinds just to do good DPS - nevermind the interrupts, gap-closers, stun-breaker, stun stuff.

I imagine Guardian over Sentinel is the best choice for you - but I can't be 100% on that.

SleepyKing
12.27.2012 , 04:23 PM | #5
In my experience, sages and sorcerers - especially healers - probably have the simplest rotations with the fewest keybinds needed, although calling these "lightsaber classes" might be a stretch since you never actually get to hit anything (although you will dutifully pull out your lightsaber at the start of every battle).

Guardians and juggernauts are more complex, but they're not overwhelming. A tank needs to have their taunts and defensive cooldowns at the ready, as well as openers, distance closer and a handful of attacks, but it's not that much more difficult than, say, a powertech/vanguard.

Sentinels/Marauders and Shadows/Assassins are probably the hardest units in the game to control. They have lots of medium length cool downs (and in the case of Sent/Mara, focus builders) so you need a big rotation to stay active. That, and the fact that you have to maintain energy levels and move a lot during combat makes these probably the most difficult classes in the game to control. They are also arguably the most powerful, though. Sentinels and marauders are the highest DPS units in the game, especially when you can just stand and wail on an opponent. Shadows and assassins are ridiculously versatile with self heals, stealth, speed boost, damage avoidance and more (whenever there's a "watch me solo Terror From Beyond Hard Mode" video on YouTube, it's always going to be a shadow or assassin).

schnopsnosn
12.27.2012 , 05:28 PM | #6
Assassin/Shadow-tank in PvE has 5-6 skills that are used regularly, the rest is optional.