Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suggestion for force alignment...change in recharge and weapon use

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Suggestion for force alignment...change in recharge and weapon use

LordArtemis
12.27.2012 , 07:41 AM | #1
I would like to suggest the following perks to being light alignment or dark alignment.

Energy Pools and weapon type

Light alignment should provide a bonus to the health bar regeneration rate and total amount. The higher your alignment, the better the regeneration rate and total bonus amount.

Dark alignment should provide a bonus to the secondary power bar regeneration rate and total amount. The higher your alignment, the better the regeneration rate and total bonus amount.

So the way this would work would be as follows....

Light V
- 10 percent Health bonus, 50 health every 4 seconds
Light IV - 8 percent Health bonus, 40 health every 4 seconds
Light III - 6 percent Health bonus, 30 health every 4 seconds
Light II - 4 percent Health bonus, 20 health every 4 seconds
Light I - 2 percent Health bonus, 10 health every 4 seconds
Neutral - 1 percent Health Bonus, 1 percent Power bonus, 5 health every 4 seconds, 5 power every 4 seconds
Dark I - 2 percent Power bonus, 10 power every 4 seconds
Dark II - 4 percent Power bonus, 20 power every 4 seconds
Dark III - 6 percent Power bonus, 30 power every 4 seconds
Dark IV - 8 percent Power bonus, 40 power every 4 seconds
Dark V - 10 percent Power bonus, 50 power every 4 seconds

Maxing out your alignment would allow you to change your weapon type as follows:

Force based characters would receive the ability to use either dual sabers, single saber or a double saber.
Weapon based characters would get the ability to use either pistols, rifles or cannons.

Note that though animations would change the damage output would remain the same. The only benefit is the appearance change. Naturally any ability that requires a unique animation based on the prior weapon setup would still work, but would now use a standard animation.

Here is an example. Rupture for a Sith Warrior requires two lightsabers to use. For a Sith that has chosen a dual saber or a single saber, he draws out two single sabers to do the special, then redraws the original weapon choice.

This already happens in the game with companions and with your character during cutscenes...you will pull out the weapon appropriate to the situation, fire it, then return it. So this can be done so that current animations can be used.

Changes to the behavior and appearance of abilities as your alignment changes - Jedi and Sith

Right now Sith use the dark side of the force for their abilities, Jedi use the light side. That much is obvious. However, you can turn to the light or dark side based on your alignment, and in spite of your class. You can be a Jedi and have a Dark alignment, or visa versa.

I am suggesting that once someone actually reaches Dark or Light 5 and they are the opposite class...Jedi at Dark 5 or Sith at Light 5, your abilities should no longer appear to come from the side of the force that you started with or usually use in your class. Here is how I would suggest it works.

Dark side force user

Light III - The dark power begins to diminish from your abilities. You can see that the light side is beginning to take hold of you. (dark side effects are dialed back, the animation effects look like a mix between light and dark)

Light V - You have now turned to the light side of the force. Your abilities are now vested in light force energy. (your abilities now visually match a Knight or Consular)

Light side force user

Dark III - You are tempted by the dark side of the force. You can see that the light side is beginning to leave you as you walk further down the dark path. (light side effects are dialed back, the animation effects look like a mix between light and dark)

Dark V - Your journey to the dark side is complete. Your abilities are now empowered by dark force energy. (your abilities now visually match a Warrior or Inquisitor)

Note that since Dark and Light side abilities, within specific classes are mirrors. The animations are essentially the only difference. Therefore the animations and effects can be changed without effecting the function or output of the abilities.

Emote perks for reaching max alignment

The following are suggested emotes that would unlock for a character when they reach max alignment, light or dark.

Dark Side

Shaking the back of my fist at someone with a vocal emote....

"If you only knew the POWER of the dark side!!!!"

Regular vocal emotes

"I am altering the deal, prey I do not alter it any further"
"You have failed me for the last time!"
"I sense great fear in you."
"Release your anger!"
"Only your hate can destroy me!"
"This is your end....Jedi"
"The force is strong with you."
"Join me and together we can rule the galaxy!"
"You cannot escape your destiny"
"Your thoughts betray you."
"Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey toward the dark side will be complete!"
"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed."
"Peace is a lie"

Light Side

All vocal emotes

Hand on chest, then vocal emote....

"May the force be with you. Always."

Regular vocal emotes

"The force is an energy field created by all living things."
"I feel a great disturbance in the force."
"I can sense a great disturbance in the force."
"I sense great anger in you."
"I sense the dark side in you."
"The dark side is strong in you."
"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
"The force is strong with you."
"Beware of the dark side."
"Do not be seduced by the dark side."
"The dark side will destroy you."
"You must learn to control your emotions."
"You are only a master of evil."

althene
12.27.2012 , 03:13 PM | #2
Or they could simply remove the arbitrary weapon restrictions for certain classes...

LordArtemis
12.27.2012 , 11:55 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by althene View Post
Or they could simply remove the arbitrary weapon restrictions for certain classes...
Doing that at least would work. I just wanted to also find a way to make alignment more relevant in the game.

LyulfLykaios
12.28.2012 , 02:41 AM | #4
What about Grey/Neutral alignment? Which reminds me, Any new news on that?

LordArtemis
12.29.2012 , 01:18 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by LyulfLykaios View Post
What about Grey/Neutral alignment? Which reminds me, Any new news on that?
Not that I know of. I wish someone would compile together the great suggestions in the forum with respect to neutral alignment and perks for it.

KillaDeuce
12.29.2012 , 11:14 AM | #6
Check out the suggestion in my Sig. It kinda of would do this, but not complete freedom of weapon choice.
Situational Awareness: improve your Unranked WZ experience
Charric - sniper - POT5 / Bastion
Verbäl - PT - POT5 / Bastion

LordArtemis
05.12.2013 , 12:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KillaDeuce View Post
Check out the suggestion in my Sig. It kinda of would do this, but not complete freedom of weapon choice.
I like that....could I add some of those items to this suggestion?

The_Bull
05.14.2013 , 01:04 PM | #8
To date this is the best idea that I've read for making me care if i'm light side or dark side other than the answers to the questions themselves. I still don't care about emotes but everything else was awesome!
Totaly Nija!

LordArtemis
05.14.2013 , 06:10 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Bull View Post
To date this is the best idea that I've read for making me care if i'm light side or dark side other than the answers to the questions themselves. I still don't care about emotes but everything else was awesome!
Thanks, I appreciate it. It has evolved a bit since I first suggested it.

Barxus
05.15.2013 , 07:55 AM | #10
Not sure about the rest of it but I like the notion of force effects changing with alignment, A light sider throwing around lightning is just odd. So a LS5 sith using telekinesis would work for me, DS5 knight force choking someone? Hell yes.

Even if all they did was change the colour of force effects to represent the chars developing corruption/redemption, it would make your choices seem that little bit more visually impact-full.

Just my 2 creds