Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy of Destruction

YoshiRaphElan
01.26.2013 , 07:06 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Bird_of_Thunder View Post
great read! loved the Ula Vii reference, Fatal Alliance was a great book as much as it got flamed. Loved the reference, keep up the great work, as always!
Thanks! I always thought Ula Vii -- and most of the other characters in FA -- had a lot of potential. I wish they'd have appeared in the game, but the only one who does is a brief namedrop:

Spoiler

AgentJacen
01.27.2013 , 12:28 AM | #22
Nice fanfic. Hope to see more! I'm interested in seeing what happens with Tran'thar.
"Only I've been both Jedi and Sith, and found clarity in the force." -Revan

YoshiRaphElan
01.27.2013 , 06:09 PM | #23
Thanks! You'll be (hopefully) very interested by what happens with Tran'thar.

Chapter 19

Outskirts of Keldabe, Mandalore
100 days ABDK

Dha beamed as he looked at the open lot twenty-five miles from Keldabe. This would be home. Sure, the ship was home, but this…this would be home when they were not on missions. Mako, Torian, Gault, the baby…even Skadge, would have a place to live.

“Thanks, Corridan,” he said.

“I just pulled a favor,” Corridan replied, grinning. “My bud Torian needs to be around for my kids. They need their uncle Torian.”

“Uncle Torian,” Mako said from across the lot. “I like that!” She patted her belly. “One more nephew or niece for you, Torian.”

“Great,” he said with a grin.

Skadge rumbled. “Hey! Are we going to excavate or what?”

Dha chuckled and glanced at Gault, who pulled out a holoprint of the building that would one day be their home.

“We need to start by making a hole in the exact center of the clearing,” Dha said. “A traditional home on Mandalore is mostly underground, which makes it harder to find and easier to defend.”

[So we get to blow big hole?] Blizz jabbered.

Dha roared out a laugh. “Yes, Blizz. Big hole.”

Blizz chirped excitedly and started rummaging in his giant backpack. Dha’s eyes widened a little bit. He turned to his crew and Corridan.

“Clear!” he said.

Keldabe Hospital, Mandalore
100 days ABDK

Dankin sat down beside his father’s bed. Chernan’s white-and-tan armor was sitting neatly stacked on the floor beside the bed, and his blasters sat on the side table. Dankin shook his head. Mandalorians.

Apparently a large animal had gravely injured Chernan, but none of the other Mandalorians in his hunting party had seen the beast. By the time they had reached his side, the beast had withdrawn into the forest.

“He’ll be fine,” Dinua, Chernan’s wife, said. “He is a tough old di’kut.”

Dankin glanced at her and shook his head. “I don’t get you Mandalorians. Your husband, my adopted father, is torn to shreds by a monster, and instead of worrying, you insult his intelligence?”

Dinua put her hand on his shoulder. “That is our way of showing affection. I do worry, but I do not show it.”

Backblast entered, looking extremely large in his off-duty uniform. In a strange way, his armor hid his bulk. But outside of it, he was a true beast of a man.

“How is he?” he asked.

“Just fine,” Dankin snapped sarcastically. “He’s a fighter apparently. But that doesn’t really matter when he’s been out cold for about a week, and he’s got tooth marks all over his torso!”

“Relax,” Backblast said. “Just cool off.”

“Cool off?” Dankin asked. “Cool off! What is it with you people? Am I the only one worried about my father’s health?”

That statement scared him. He thought he’d been aloof from his family. He supposed that it was his relationship with Akaavi that allowed him to forge these bonds anew.

“Where are your friends?” Dinua asked.

“The cantina,” he replied. “Akaavi is teaching Corso, Guss, and Risha a Mandalorian drinking song. Like they need more encouraging. You know what? Call me if he changes. I’m leaving.”

Jedi Temple, Tython
100 days ABDK

“Jasin!”

Gareb ran to catch up to his cousin. He hadn’t seen Jasin in a couple of days–he’d been busy with Council meetings and Jasin had been on his ship or on the training field.

Jasin saw him coming, turned, and slowed so he could catch up. Gareb silently wondered if Jasin was mad at him for being mad at Methic.

“Jasin, the Jedi Council said there’s something urgent going on.”

Jasin nodded. “Isn’t there always?”

Gareb smiled. “Well, yes. But they told me that they wanted you at the meeting, too.”

“Okay. Why?”

“They wouldn’t say.”

Jasin reluctantly nodded. Gareb motioned down the hallway. Together they walked to the Council chambers. Gareb didn’t admit it, but he was worried. Obviously, something big was going on.

As they entered the Council chamber, Jasin slowed. As Gareb crossed to his seat, he glanced at the other Council members. Satele Shan, Degan, Gnost-Dural and Bela Kiwiiks were there in person; Timmns and Bestros were holograms.

“What is going on, Masters?” Jasin asked.

“Master Jasin,” Gnost-Dural said. “Welcome.”

“We have summoned you regarding Tol Braga,” Satele said. “We believe a suitable amount of time has passed since he healed for him to retake his seat on the Council. However, since you were directly involved in his capture and subsequent imprisonment, we want your opinion.”

Jasin considered. “Does he show any signs of still being controlled by the Emperor?”

Bestros shook his head. “None.”

Gareb raised a hand. “In case there is any doubt, I can use my shielding power on him.”

“Not something to do lightly,” Satele observed. “It leaves you weak, and we may need you on the front lines before you can fully recover.”

“If it returns another Master to duty, I believe it is worth the risk.”

There was a pause.

“No,” Satele said. “We would be able to feel if he was still under Sith control.”

“Not Sith control,” Jasin argued. “The Emperor’s control.”

Gareb groaned silently. Jasin was on this again? Gareb was as cautious as the next Jedi, but Jasin had been in the room when the Emperor had died! How could he possibly doubt his death?

“The Emperor is dead,” Bestros argued. “If Braga was under his control, he isn’t anymore.”

“The Emperor’s control is more sinister,” Jasin insisted. “He doesn’t just control his victim’s minds. When the Emperor controlled me, I knew what I was doing. But I couldn’t stop myself. And somehow, I know that if he’d died while I was under his control, it wouldn’t have changed a thing. I still would have been a servant of the dark side, if not for Orgus.”

“Perhaps we should, then, allow Gareb to shield Braga,” Degan said.

“Do not make the choice for me,” Gareb said. “I will do it.”

He stood and walked for Braga’s containment cell, disturbed. He didn’t know where that outburst had come from, or why.

“Gareb–” Jasin said.

He turned. Over half of the Council had followed him, with only Satele and Gnost-Dural remaining in the Council chambers.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

“No need,” Degan replied. “We were governing you, after all.”

Gareb frowned. “That’s the Jedi Council’s job, though. I shouldn’t have been so quick to anger.”

“It is no matter,” Timmns said. “It’s over, so let us check on Master Braga.”

Gareb nodded. They entered the containment cell. Braga was in the center of the room, sitting cross-legged on the floor, meditating. He glanced up as they approached.

“My friends,” he said. “I am honored by your visit.”

“Are you feeling all right, Master Braga?” asked Gareb.

“I still feel him…sometimes,” Braga said. “But it is rare. And only…only when he is strong.”

“Strong?” Jasin asked.

“He is very weak from his fight with you,” Braga explained quietly. “But when he has long periods of meditation, he becomes strong again. He does not stay that way long, though.”

“We need to find him,” Jasin said. “Before he can recover fully.”

“Alas,” Braga replied, “I cannot help you with that. I cannot discern a location.”

“Could Syo?” Gareb asked.

“Syo? Why should he?”

“He was the Emperor’s First Son,” Degan said.

Braga seemed concerned. “Indeed? No. He will not know. The Emperor’s location is too clouded by the dark side. By…his servants.”

“Master Braga, I can shield you from him,” Gareb said. “Do you wish me to do so?”

“Yes,” Braga said. “I wish to rejoin the fight.”

Gareb reached out with the Force to shield Braga. When it was done, he sagged. Degan reached out and held him up.

“It’s done,” he said quietly.

Bird_of_Thunder
01.28.2013 , 01:00 AM | #24
Chernan and Dinua from Life of Lieutenaunt Pierce!

loved the reference, thats an interesting piece of YoshiRalphElan's writing history for ya!

Loving this to death, and Methic is awesome as always! Keep it up!
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

YoshiRaphElan
01.28.2013 , 09:52 AM | #25
Thanks! Bet you weren't expecting them to be the smuggler's adopted parents, were ya?

Also -- better hold on to your pants, in a few chapters it's really gonna pick up!

Chapter 20

Outskirts of Keldabe, Mandalore
115 days ABDK

In the three weeks since the construction had begun, things had gone astonishingly well. With the help of the whole crew–even Skadge pitched in when he was not grumbling–the foundation was already down, and the construction on the underground rooms and halls was now nearing completion.

Dha smiled as he surveyed the construction site. Corridan and a couple more of Torian’s friends–even that less-than-likable chap, Jogo–had come to help tonight. With their help, it looked like it would go as far as getting a couple of rooms roofed up before they stopped.

Dha pulled his speeder to a halt. In the back seat, a dozen bags of food and drinks sat bagged up. He’d made a quick trip to Keldabe and paid out of his own account for the food. Mandalorians could eat.

He hopped out and walked into the middle of the construction site. Torian and Corridan were lowering a section of transparisteel into its window housing. As the house was mostly underground, the window was at the corner of the wall and the ceiling, so it was at foot level.

“When you guys get to a good point,” Dha said, “the grub’s here.”

Torian grinned. “Thought you’d never say that.”

They finished locking the window in place, and then Torian took off to round up the others. Corridan crossed his arms.

“Good man, Torian,” he said. “Like a brother. I am glad he found a family.”

“He needs a wife,” Dha muttered.

“He’ll find one,” Corridan said. “And they’ll have the fiercest babies on Mandalore.”

“His babies could actually become Mandalore,” Dha agreed wryly. “Torian’s got the spirit. He’s young though.”

“So were you, when you started the Great Hunt. Look where you are today.”

Dha looked around the field. He had money, a wife, a family, and a home.

Yes. He’d gotten far.

“You’re right,” he said. “Look where I am.”

Jedi Temple, Tython
115 days ABDK

Gareb felt his muscles stretching as he slashed at the training dummy in the artful form of Makashi. His lightsaber–the First Blade–hummed, a noise that, for some reason, calmed Gareb.

He stepped back, raised his blade, and renewed his attack. Ever since the encounter with Darth Jadus, he had decided to work on his lightsaber technique. He knew he’d been pushing it aside in favor of his Force techniques–not a bad thing, but potentially a problem when facing a foe like Jadus.

Makashi was not a simple form–it was the most rigorous and mentally challenging of the lightsaber forms. But Gareb had chosen it for that very reason–he had to push himself.

Finally, dripping with sweat, he deactivated his lightsaber and clipped it to his belt. He retrieved his outer robe and pulled it on.

[Herald fights with renewed vigor,] Qyzen noted.

Gareb nodded. “So I do, my friend. So I do.”

[Failure on Dromund Kaas cost you points?]

“No, not exactly,” Gareb replied. “We won. Still, I feel it may have cost my cousin Methic more than points.”

[What can be worse than losing points?]

“Losing oneself,” Gareb replied solemnly.

Nadia glanced up from her meditation. She must have felt his worry, for she stood and walked over, placing a hand on his shoulder. Mentally, he warned her against displays of affection in the middle of the Jedi Temple training grounds. She took the hint.

“Master,” she said. “Don’t worry about Methic. I believe he will be fine.”

“I hope you are right, Nadia,” he said.

Suddenly, a young initiate ran up and pulled a datapad from his belt. He stopped and leaned down, hands on his knees.

“I…whoa…just got to…catch…breath,” he said.

“Take it easy, young one,” Gareb replied.

The initiate nodded. “Message…critical…for you. Immediately.”

Gareb took the datapad and flicked it on. A holo appeared on the screen, showing a warm-skinned man with dark hair pulled to the side in a braid.

“I am Jedi Shadow Sydin,” he said. “This message is for Master Gareb of the Jedi Council. Verify?”

“Verify,” Gareb replied.

“Accepted.” Sydin’s voice took a panicked tone. “Master Gareb. The Dread Masters are massing for a huge attack. I don’t know where, yet, but I have to be careful. It was all I could do to find somewhere safe to transmit this message. I may have to bail out soon. Just be on the lookout. Sydin out.”

Gareb frowned and replayed the message. From appearances, Sydin was in the hallway of an Imperial Dreadnaught, no doubt the Dread Masters’ command ship. Sydin was worried, no doubt about it. If what he said was true, the attack force must have been huge.

“Convene the Council,” Gareb told the initiate. “Tell them to meet me in fifteen minutes. This is a class-one emergency.”

Bird_of_Thunder
01.28.2013 , 10:28 PM | #26
im loving this. I wrote a fanfic about the Dread Masters going on conquest, and coming close to winning. Its a work-in-progress, and im hoping to get it up soon
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

YoshiRaphElan
01.29.2013 , 10:12 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Bird_of_Thunder View Post
im loving this. I wrote a fanfic about the Dread Masters going on conquest, and coming close to winning. Its a work-in-progress, and im hoping to get it up soon
Good luck with it! Next chapter should be up later today!

YoshiRaphElan
01.29.2013 , 04:03 PM | #28
Chapter 21

Dark Council chambers, Korriban
115 days ABDK

Methic stood, arms crossed, just inside the Council chambers, Jaesa at his side. Quinn and Vette stood guard outside, ensuring no one could enter–or, he thought–leave, without Methic’s permission.

Darth Nox stood in the center of the room, holding his head and groaning. His large Dashade friend was standing at his shoulder, a protective servant. That was bad.

“How do you so summon the Emperor’s Wrath?” Methic growled.

“Because,” Darth Marr replied calmly, “Darth Nox was found like this on Vaiken Spacedock by his Dashade assassin. He does not remember anything about being a Sith Lord.”

“So?” Methic felt a thrill of fear bite his heart.

“So, he was last seen…with you.”

“And if that is the case? I am the Emperor’s Wrath and I will not be questioned.”

“You do not deny being with him before he took to this supposed amnesia, then?”

“I don’t.”

Marr nodded. “I see.”

“You don’t believe me,” Methic noted.

“As you said. Who am I to question the Emperor’s Wrath? On the other hand, the Dashade…”

Suddenly, the door whooshed open. Vette and Quinn walked in with an acolyte bearing a message. He ran up to Marr and handed him the datapad. For a moment it looked as though Marr would execute him, but he just waved the acolyte out of the chamber.

“Our spy among the Dread Masters has reported. We have located where they will attack. Methic, Lord Nox, you will handle it. We will transmit the location to your ships. Go.”

Keldabe, Mandalore
115 days ABDK

Dha was about to leave the metallurgist store when he saw a Chiss across the street–a startlingly familiar Chiss. He pulled his blaster out and stormed over.

“Cipher Nine, isn’t it?” Dha hissed.

The Chiss looked up. “Ah. I remember you.” He sighed. “I suppose I should’ve expected this. Name’s Agent Merok, actually.”

“Right.” Dha raised an eyebrow. “What are you doing here?”

Merok sighed. “I suppose you hold no allegiance to the Empire. The truth is, I am sowing seeds of anti-Imperial resistance.”

Dha considered and lowered his blaster. “Okay. Just don’t bother–”

There was an abrupt explosion. Dha jerked his head up, as did Merok. His eyes widened as they saw five Dreadnaughts entering Mandalore’s atmosphere.

“No. No…” Dha turned and bolted for his speeder and pulled out his comlink. “Torian! Protect Mako! Get to Keldabe. We have a fight on our hands.”

Dankin walked out of the cantina beside Akaavi. Guss, Corso, Bowdaar, and Risha were following when an explosion rocked the building. Dankin had his blasters in hand in an instant.

Down the street, he saw Backblast and Dinua run out of the hospital. Backblast took off down the street toward the spaceport, no doubt to retrieve his armor from Dankin’s ship.

“Imperials,” Akaavi hissed.

Dankin looked up and saw the Dreadnaughts firing on Keldabe. He squinted as he saw a symbol on the underside of the Dreadnaughts. A disturbingly familiar symbol…

“Not Imperials,” he said. “The Dread Masters.”

Segastorm
01.31.2013 , 03:10 PM | #29
uh oh.... somebody's in for it

Lovin' this so far, keep it up

YoshiRaphElan
01.31.2013 , 09:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Segastorm View Post
uh oh.... somebody's in for it

Lovin' this so far, keep it up
^Thanks. I'm very busy actually writing a very long battle scene, so the next few chapters will be posted when I stop procrastinating.