Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

reverse engineering and crafting question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
reverse engineering and crafting question

Propheldor
12.25.2012 , 01:11 PM | #1
i have a low level character with 400 cybertech and the game doesn't allow me to put level 50 mods in items. so i can't remove them to reverse engineer them. do i have to be a level 50 character to do this or am i missing something?

also, it seems smugglers have a companion with +5 armstech critical. how big of an advantage is that? i'm just wondering how much of a difference that makes.

finelinebob
12.25.2012 , 03:39 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Propheldor View Post
i have a low level character with 400 cybertech and the game doesn't allow me to put level 50 mods in items. so i can't remove them to reverse engineer them. do i have to be a level 50 character to do this or am i missing something?
I can't say for sure for these, since I haven't done them specifically, but usually when you put an item mod in an item it binds. If it's any different for these higher-level mods, I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in and correct me. Until they do, I'd wait.

Quote: Originally Posted by Propheldor View Post
also, it seems smugglers have a companion with +5 armstech critical. how big of an advantage is that? i'm just wondering how much of a difference that makes.
Since it's Corso who has that crit and he's your first companion, it's nice to have Armstech for smugglers since most other professions who get a companion with a crafting crit get them much later. What is it worth? Well, getting any companion to 10k affection means getting them a +5 to crafting crits of any type. Corso starts off with +5 to Armstech and once you get him to 10K affection (he LOVES weapons), that crit becomes +10 for Armstech. That's the highest bonus a companion can have. It's not that much of a big deal for augment slots, given anyone can use an augment kit and for under-50 gear you outgrow the slot as you outgrow the gear, but if you get into a LOT of augment crafting, that's as good as bonus as you can get towards getting 2 augments for the price of 1 if he crits. That's where Corso's crit becomes an advantage.
Jedi Guardian JonBonJovi'wan
"Wanted: Dead or Alive"
Defenders of Monkeys - Prophecy of the Five
DatacronHunter's Video Guides to Datacrons | Datacron Spreadsheet

Zarakaar
12.25.2012 , 04:13 PM | #3
To RE and learn a schematic you need the item bound to you. So, if you can't socket in something because of your level, you won't be able to learn the schematic.

If you have a 50 of any crew skill, however, you can buy a piece of Legacy gear and have your level 50 apply the mods (binding them to your legacy) and mail the gear to your Cybertech, who can pull them out and should be able to RE as normal.

If you don't have a level 50, I guess you'll just have to wait.

Corso's crit bonus is very good for making Barrels as well as Augments at high levels. However, the best Cybertech companion in the game is the ship droid C2-N2 with an Engineering Unit sensor (purchased from the vendor droid on ships, unlocked through legacy.) So, regardless of your class, you can get a fantastic cybertech companion for a couple hundred thousand credits (as long as you have a buddy with the ship vendor unlock who you can visit).

There's no reason to unlearn Cybertech, it's almost certainly the best credit making crew skill right now.

Propheldor
12.25.2012 , 04:29 PM | #4
you also need to be legacy 12 to be able to buy those sensors off the droid vendor. it seems very hard to raise legacy so i may never be able to buy those droid sensors.

Zarakaar
12.25.2012 , 06:45 PM | #5
It's actually very easy once you have a 50. You'll find 12 is no big deal.

DataBeaver
12.27.2012 , 08:26 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zarakaar View Post
To RE and learn a schematic you need the item bound to you. So, if you can't socket in something because of your level, you won't be able to learn the schematic.
Incorrect. You can learn schematics from freshly crafted unbound items. However, you can't learn a schematic from an item that has been crafted by another player. Putting a component into a shell and pulling it out again erases the crafter information, so a schematic can be learned from it.

Another case where pulling components out is relevant is if you want to use an alt to RE something only your main has access to. Endgame components only come pre-installed in shells, and are bound when you buy them. Thus you need to use a bound-to-legacy shell to smuggle them to an alt.

Zarakaar
12.27.2012 , 02:36 PM | #7
I suppose I assumed you could RE from other people's crafted items. I see no reason it shouldn't be allowed, particularly for low level stuff.

Thanks for the info.