Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To shield or not to shield

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
To shield or not to shield

Schil
12.25.2012 , 12:59 AM | #21
Shield Gens have less Force Power, no stat dif other then that.
Schil
Operative Healer
PoT5

Schil
12.25.2012 , 01:04 AM | #22
Also the reason for the hate on Shield Chance is because crit will push it off the table, which since the relic changes is harder to achieve. Shield Chance is more useful then you might think but the real stat that makes a difference is absorb! Also white dmg only
Schil
Operative Healer
PoT5

Leafy_Bug
12.25.2012 , 01:10 AM | #23
I am a 31 0 10 Shadow BIS WH/EWH stalker dps gear and I alternate between shield and focus. It seems that with a shield, i mitigate a bit more but with a focus i get 60 more force bonus dmg. I havent replaced the shield mods with focus mods as I do not deem that option viable because I often set up for huttball carrier in full survivor gear.

I use on dps stalker gear the survivor bonus which gives a 20s spinning kick. This is always available for ravage or smash.

vimm
12.25.2012 , 03:09 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Schil View Post
Shield Gens have less Force Power, no stat dif other then that.
How much less!
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

TheBabyEater
12.25.2012 , 03:58 AM | #25
The question you need to ask yourself is: is it acceptable to sacrifice 50-60 force damage to gain 20% chance to shield 20% white damage?

If yes, then go for the shield generator. If no, stick to focus generator.

Xerain
12.25.2012 , 04:15 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post
The question you need to ask yourself is: is it acceptable to sacrifice 50-60 force damage to gain 20% chance to shield 20% white damage?

If yes, then go for the shield generator. If no, stick to focus generator.
In my character sheet it's 35% shield and 24% absorb :P

Evolixe
12.25.2012 , 04:25 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by _Zhatan_ View Post
If you want to do something at WZs drop the shield...rip off all your shield/absorb mods and go for 30% defense chance (defense rating).
My recomendation is :

Survivor armorings
Stalker/survivor mods (critical rating/defense rating)
Force master/Stalker enhancements (Power/surge/Accuracy)
Defense rating augments(redoubt)

Skill tree:
28/1/12

Of course focus and resolve stim with dark guard up.

You will be a challenge for every DPS or Tank out there, 12/16 medals per wz.
Yeah no. Full power mods and enhancements. 1K bonus damage is easly reachable along with 80% surge modifier.
Evolixe | Exilove
Disciples of Babylon
The Red Eclipse
Livestream Youtube

Arlanon
12.25.2012 , 04:43 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by _Zhatan
If you want to do something at WZs drop the shield...rip off all your shield/absorb mods and go for 30% defense chance (defense rating).
I'm a Jug tank but I've come to exactly this conclusion.

I have 30% base Defense, can proc up to 33% with Retaliation talents.

30% Crit, 69% Surge, 104% Accuracy, 400 Bonus Damage, all as a tank spec

Being able to actually damage the people attacking your healers is vastly more useful than having Shield+Absorb. Also being able to apply decent damage to enemy healers you may be attacking.

Consider that Shield+Absorb achieve half the mitigation of Defense, but cost twice the itemization. That alone makes it only 1/4 as useful. Consider also, that on a successful Defense, Shield is not even rolled at all. That makes its usefulness even more diminished.

As for the Shield Generator itself, swapping in DPS mods will still not be as much damage as a pure Focus, since the Focus has more raw Force Power. I personally still use the Shield Generator, since it is a secondary chance to proc Retaliation (which, in turn, raises my Defense), but I am considering dropping it altogether.

Tanking in PvP is more about being able to soak up Guard damage from your Healers, and spamming your Taunts as often as possible. (Both of which you can even do as a pure DPS spec). It is entirely possible to have high HP totals and still have a decent Power base. Even as full Tank spec, if you get focused by the wrong people you can still drop very quickly.

By using all Defense Mods, with Accuracy/Power/Crit/Surge Enhancements, I found that my survivability stayed the same, but my damage went way up. It depends on having a healer worth guarding, of course, but I can do 300k damage and 200k Protection with the right people on my team.

I use mostly Strength/Endurance Augments, but I have a talent that gives me 6% more Strength. Some classes don't have one, I am not entirely sure but I think yours doesn't.

At 0% Defense, Shield and Absorb are operating at face-value on all incoming white attacks. But the more Defense you stack, the less efficient Shield and Absorb become. This is why I advocate focusing on one or the other.

It's not as simple as saying "Gee I have 20% Defense and 50% Shield, that means 70% total!" because Defense and Shield are two separate rolls. Your 50% Shield is only applying to the 80% of applicable attacks that get through the 20% Defense. So that is actually 40%, not 50%.

It would take me half a page to explain because I'm not a math wizard. I do know that the math is there.

TheBabyEater
12.25.2012 , 05:00 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerain View Post
In my character sheet it's 35% shield and 24% absorb :P
This skill stuff yea :P But the straight off trade is 60 force power for 20% shielding 20% white damage.

Xerain
12.25.2012 , 05:17 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post
This skill stuff yea :P But the straight off trade is 60 force power for 20% shielding 20% white damage.
I think it's a good trade off.