Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To shield or not to shield

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
To shield or not to shield

ArchangelLBC
12.24.2012 , 08:28 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerain View Post
I went with a shield for my tankasin. Yes i'm full dps gear. The dps drop isn't that much and you gain like 30% shield chance with the talent.
If more stuff was shieldable I would make this compromise, but too much isn't.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

vimm
12.24.2012 , 09:17 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
If more stuff was shieldable I would make this compromise, but too much isn't.
There are plenty of abilities that your shield can mitigate.

Ravage, Gore, Impale, Vicous Slash, Vicious Throw, Obliterate, Snipe, Series of Shots, part of Cull, Followthrough, Ambush, Take Down, Assassinate, Maul, Unload, Rail Shot - just to name some important ones.

I wouldn't underestimate it.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

ArchangelLBC
12.24.2012 , 09:21 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
There are plenty of abilities that your shield can mitigate.

Ravage, Gore, Impale, Vicous Slash, Vicious Throw, Obliterate, Snipe, Series of Shots, part of Cull, Followthrough, Ambush, Take Down, Assassinate, Maul, Unload, Rail Shot - just to name some important ones.

I wouldn't underestimate it.
Gore won't really be mitigated as it's the armor debuff that's the dangerous part of it. I won't address the rest of it. Too much is yellow damage, and you have to stack shield rating to make it really worth it, and at that point you're doing it wrong.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

vimm
12.24.2012 , 09:37 PM | #14
Gore won't really be mitigated as it's the armor debuff that's the dangerous part of it. I won't address the rest of it. Too much is yellow damage, and you have to stack shield rating to make it really worth it, and at that point you're doing it wrong.
I'm aware, but it will mitigate the damage of the listed abilities, so there is reason you won't address it.

Procing your shield also reduces the active cooldown of Shroud and provides you with force.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

_Zhatan_
12.24.2012 , 09:58 PM | #15
If you want to do something at WZs drop the shield...rip off all your shield/absorb mods and go for 30% defense chance (defense rating).
My recomendation is :

Survivor armorings
Stalker/survivor mods (critical rating/defense rating)
Force master/Stalker enhancements (Power/surge/Accuracy)
Defense rating augments(redoubt)

Skill tree:
28/1/12

Of course focus and resolve stim with dark guard up.

You will be a challenge for every DPS or Tank out there, 12/16 medals per wz.
SWG----------------- 8 years played, 7 active accounts at June 2011.
SWTOR------------- 6 months played. BACK ONLY FOR PATCHS .

BW...Something is failing here, don't you think?

Xerain
12.24.2012 , 10:13 PM | #16
The damage from Gore will be shielded...

And does it go Shield Absorb > Armor > damage taken? so like 1000 damage initially gets hit by shield absorb for 20% to bring it down to 800 and then it hits the armor for the 38% more reduction to do 496 total damage?? Pretty nice IMO

Epism
12.24.2012 , 10:21 PM | #17
Did a quick test on DPS mods in a shield and there was no stat degradation. So I retract my last statement. If someone else was able to get different results then I am at a loss.

Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
Wow bro, L2P.
Yep there it is, because my skill level is shown by the quality of PVP gear I'm wearing...

Ohh wait not its not, since skill has no reflect on your gear, just how much time you can dedicate to grind it out.

arunav
12.24.2012 , 10:33 PM | #18
It really depends on your style of play. Shadows/Assassins are one of the best classes for both PvP and PVE.

There are multiple ways to spec and play one really well in PvP.

It does give you some benefit, the shield, and you don't lose that much DPS if you mod yourself correctly. You can run the spec you mentioned with almost all DPS gear and still make effective use of the shield, and be really annoying to the other team.

Most people go with the focus, though. I like the shield, feels less squishy, even though a lot of attacks go through it.

arunav
12.24.2012 , 10:34 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by _Zhatan_ View Post
If you want to do something at WZs drop the shield...rip off all your shield/absorb mods and go for 30% defense chance (defense rating).
My recomendation is :

Survivor armorings
Stalker/survivor mods (critical rating/defense rating)
Force master/Stalker enhancements (Power/surge/Accuracy)
Defense rating augments(redoubt)

Skill tree:
28/1/12

Of course focus and resolve stim with dark guard up.

You will be a challenge for every DPS or Tank out there, 12/16 medals per wz.
Interesting. How many HPs do you have with that approach?

Rilok_Singz
12.25.2012 , 12:42 AM | #20
I've always gone with if you run a 23/1/17 or full tank build then use the shield but if you run a full infiltration or 17/1/23 then its a waste. It's really player preference.
R i l o k
S t r i f e | C l i c k e r s

Watch Shadow/Assassin gameplay @ http://www.twitch.tv/rilok919