Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Sincere Question from a DPS PvPer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
A Sincere Question from a DPS PvPer

BradTheImpaler
12.22.2012 , 11:28 PM | #1
So I've been playing PvP warzones fairly often lately, working towards full WH, and I've noticed a certain trend in defending objectives, particularly in Alderaan or Novare.

Some people expect one lone DPS player---(sometimes me but sometimes someone else) to stay alone to guard a node, and just call out "incoming" when we see 3 or 4 well-geared tanks charging our way, by which time the other team kills us and takes it anyway.

So another player and I decided we would both stay to guard, because it makes more sense to stop them in the first place once you've got the node rather than leave one easy kill to guard it and run back from the other side of the map. We got yelled at for this.

I understand you don't want people just camping out for medals, but it does make sense not to leave something poorly guarded. So my question is, should I ignore them or am I wrong for some reason I'm not getting/should I listen and leave one person to guard?
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

Asunasan
12.22.2012 , 11:33 PM | #2
Its a numbers game. If you don't control 2 nodes, you can't afford to put 2 guards on the node you do control or they will overpower the neutral node, or you won't be able to overpower the 2nd node they control.

Smashbrother
12.23.2012 , 12:12 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BradTheImpaler View Post
So I've been playing PvP warzones fairly often lately, working towards full WH, and I've noticed a certain trend in defending objectives, particularly in Alderaan or Novare.

Some people expect one lone DPS player---(sometimes me but sometimes someone else) to stay alone to guard a node, and just call out "incoming" when we see 3 or 4 well-geared tanks charging our way, by which time the other team kills us and takes it anyway.

So another player and I decided we would both stay to guard, because it makes more sense to stop them in the first place once you've got the node rather than leave one easy kill to guard it and run back from the other side of the map. We got yelled at for this.

I understand you don't want people just camping out for medals, but it does make sense not to leave something poorly guarded. So my question is, should I ignore them or am I wrong for some reason I'm not getting/should I listen and leave one person to guard?
If you control 2 nodes, then there should be 2 ppl guarding at the off node. If you only control one, you should only have 1 capable guard.

Aluvi
12.23.2012 , 12:20 AM | #4
The ideal defender will be a tank spec assassin that can just sap / delay multiple people from stealth until help arrives. This is what ranked teams do. Pugs usually don't have this. There are times when I am in a 4 man premade with 4 pugs that we will leave one of our teammates to defend while we help a node or hit one of theirs to peal people off of ours, but we try to keep 2 on at all times. There IS something to be said for a very well geared, extremely good player defending with just one person. Being an overpowered class with best in slot gear, I have been able to defend 2 and even 3 people incs solo, but these were recruit geared people with very low skill.

You're not wrong for wanting two defending, however if it is 2 to 1 in the enemy teams favor for capped nodes, it is hard to justify leaving two, as others have stated.
Aluvian (now Aluvien) Sith Marauder <Infinite Darkness> Shadowlands
Aluviann Jedi Sentinel <Triumph> Shadowlands
Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/kdbutler2
720p Carnage PvP Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/aluviansw

eavn
12.23.2012 , 12:49 AM | #5
gunnery commando or arsenal merc dps are best node guards

Technohic
12.23.2012 , 01:09 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
If you control 2 nodes, then there should be 2 ppl guarding at the off node. If you only control one, you should only have 1 capable guard.
This.

If you happen to be a lobe DPS sitting there, just be quick to call incoming as soon as you see anyone approaching. Do that before anything else. Then you don't go for kills. You stall as long as you can

foxmob
12.23.2012 , 01:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by eavn View Post
gunnery commando or arsenal merc dps are best node guards
yeah. never ever do this. any other guards are fine. these guys though....I steal from them with my scrapper. and I'm horrribad on that scrapper.
A legacy of meh
Krackerjšck/Krackerjak (VG/PT) | Krackerjack/Deinon (Mando/Merc) | Dežnon (Jugg) | other stuffs
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

eavn
12.25.2012 , 04:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
yeah. never ever do this. any other guards are fine. these guys though....I steal from them with my scrapper. and I'm horrribad on that scrapper.
it was a joke

rlamela
12.26.2012 , 12:26 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
nonsense. I solo guard all the time with my commando. and I've only ever lost a node once (3 vs 1 because no one responded to either of my 2 inc calls). Peoples problem when solo guarding is they always try and kill the target. I don't have to kill you nor do I try. Always have inc call already typed in chat so that way when they open up on you all u have to do is hit enter. then use your heals, stun, mezz and KB's. If they pop their cc breaker on cryo grenade then they are eating a full 8 second instant cast Concussive Round. If they eat the stun you will get off 2 big heals plus another instant cast big heal. the only way you lose a node is if people don't respond or you get jumped by 2 or more stealths.

Crackroxx
<Save Face Slash Stuck>

Totaltrash
12.26.2012 , 02:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Asunasan View Post
Its a numbers game. If you don't control 2 nodes, you can't afford to put 2 guards on the node you do control or they will overpower the neutral node, or you won't be able to overpower the 2nd node they control.
This is correct (I wish people would understand this).

Quote: Originally Posted by rlamela View Post
nonsense. I solo guard all the time with my commando. and I've only ever lost a node once (3 vs 1 because no one responded to either of my 2 inc calls).
Incorrect - 2 Stealthers will own a solo defender every time, especially a merc/commando.
About 10 secs from their first stun until the node is changed - that is all the time you have to call for help.
No help can arrive in 10 seconds (unless teammates were already on their way without the call).

That's why you always have 2 node defenders (assuming you control 2 nodes, of course).

If you are forced to leave a solo defender, it should be a stealther, because they can stretch out that time with their own stealth abilities.

Quote: Originally Posted by rlamela View Post
Peoples problem when solo guarding is they always try and kill the target. I don't have to kill you nor do I try. Always have inc call already typed in chat so that way when they open up on you all u have to do is hit enter. then use your heals, stun, mezz and KB's.
That's good advice!
The guard's job is to DELAY the cap for as long as possible for help to arrive. Killing the attacker is secondary.