Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

All the world's a stage

bright_ephemera
02.09.2013 , 10:25 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Syart View Post
SIS. Sleepwalking Idiots Service, he decided.

I know I'm late to the party on loving this, but...I love this.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Syart
02.10.2013 , 03:28 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I love the medical detail in this. It makes it a much richer story, more immersive.
Hmm.... now you're giving me ideas .... Kaas City Hope, Dr Lokin's Casebook, Lokin M.E., Alien Casualty, ER in Space .... *ponders*

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I know I'm late to the party on loving this, but...I love this.
Like I said, we love acronyms ... here are a few more
Control, passion, diligence: these three principles shape your world.

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Syart
02.12.2013 , 02:14 PM | #73
“Would carbonite freezing help?” she asked.

Why hadn't he thought of that? Of course the medical bays would have a carbonite freezing system, for bad injuries or illnesses that couldn't be fixed on the spot. “Yes, absolutely … if we can get him there unobserved.”

“I've hacked the security holocams, remember?” and he could almost hear her smiling. “Your med bay has been showing a loop of Twelve lying on the bed on his own, just in case anyone checked it. I can do the same with the corridor outside, then I'll come up and deal with the guard outside your door, but it's going to need a distraction to be sure we don't get interrupted on the way.”

"What's happening with Ban?" Lokin asked.

"Seven medics and a few droids buzzing round him like flies on a ball of dung. Tubes and wires and flashing lights everywhere, looks like a life day celebration gone wrong."

"Such a colourful description .... any sign of Garbh?"

"Nope, not yet. They probably haven't dared tell him."

"True, probably still hoping they can bring Ban out of it." Lokin smirked with grim satisfaction. "What about the rest of the medical area? Any comings and goings?"

"A few, but they're all around the big bays, not down with you. There's no guard on the carbonite chamber. The only person we need to deal with at this moment is the guard on your door and I can handle that."

"We still need a distraction to be sure we don't get disturbed." Lokin frowned in deep thought. "Oh, and jam the door lock on Ban's room, just in case one of the medics decides to take a wander."

"Already on the list, Eckard. I do know what I'm doing." He could hear her grinning. The news that Twelve was out of immediate danger had brightened her up considerably. "Give me five minutes, I've already set up a few things in anticipation."

Lokin checked Twelve's status again while he was waiting for her. He was definitely stable and his breathing was easier, but the stability was fragile, and he couldn't be transported easily with the oxygen mask and IV line still in. Carbonite freezing, for all its potential effects on the musculoskeletal and nervous systems, was definitely the safest way.

Cirean came back on the comlink. "Ok, I've set up a nice sabotage series to keep the Reps well distracted: a power failure in the main med bays to keep everyone there, then a second one on the bridge, with non-working backup relays, obviously. Then a chain of apparently random alarms all over the ship except the med bays, each one triggered by fixing the one before. Also, all their docking bay doors have mysteriously lost their lubricatiion fluid and won't open, just in case they notice we've gone and decide they might send fighters or shuttles out to follow us. I can trigger it all from a subconsole on my way up to you. In this uniform I'll just be one more engineer rushing to fix stuff."

Despite the situation, Lokin couldn't refrain from laughing. "That will really keep them occupied. You actually enjoy this stuff, don't you?" he asked.

"Oh yes, there's so much more I could do. I was going to try and locate Garbh's quarters so I could set up a sewage backflow, but sadly I didn't manage it in time." She almost giggled. "I'm on my way now, see you in a bit."

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

iamthehoyden
02.12.2013 , 05:09 PM | #74
Hmm.... now you're giving me ideas .... Kaas City Hope, Dr Lokin's Casebook, Lokin M.E., Alien Casualty, ER in Space .... *ponders*
Ideas....ideas are good.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Syart
02.14.2013 , 01:32 PM | #75
Lokin stood in the doorway of the private medical suite in the Dromund Kaas Military Hospital, watching the vital signs monitor over the kolto tank containing the badly injured Cipher Twelve. He'd insisted on overseeing the surgical and medical treatment, and it had been done well and successfully, but it would still be a long time before Twelve would be signed off as fit for active service again. Sometimes medical knowledge was not such a good thing.

He said nothing of that to the silent Cirean who was sitting on the edge of the bed, her gaze fixed on Twelve's floating form. He wondered whether he should have reported the growing attachment between her and Twelve. But they were his friends, the three of them were a close-fitting, perfectly matched, and highly effective team which none of them wanted to break up, and in any case it was entirely too late now.

He remembered Twelve's dispassionate assessment, several years ago. "We are all expendable, Agent, only the mission matters."

For once, Twelve had failed to accept that. Their mission had been completed; Ban was long dead now and would not be handing over any information. Their escape was not a requirement, but Twelve had ensured that it occurred when he could easily have got himself out and left them. They had then ignored the precept even further by going to get him out themselves. So much for avoiding personal entanglements.

That had not formed part of his report, of course. Loyalty was important, to his friends first, Intelligence second, and the Empire a distant third.

Unfortunately, it was impossible that the post-debriefing psychological analyses had not picked up the character flaws - for they would certainly be classified as such for Imperial Intelligence agents - of loyalty to his friends above Intelligence in himself, and Cirean's burgeoning relationship with Twelve. There was no room for emotion or personal loyalties in Intelligence.

Lokin understood Twelve's coldness a lot better now, even though the man had let it go in the end. He would need to be careful to cultivate it for himself in future. No more close friendships, remain isolated and remote. Lokin versus the universe. Possibly the Jedi have a point about suppressing emotions and avoiding attachments, he thought. It does lead to pain. And disciplinary action, unfortunately. It was unavoidable, since he and Cirean had had no authority to carry out the rescue, and it could easily have been disastrous.

Seeing the state Twelve was in now, and thinking about what they would all likely have to go through in the near future, he almost wished it had been.

His holocom buzzed silently in his pocket. Lokin stepped out of the room and a few steps down the hallway and pressed the receive button. Keeper's stern face looked up at him. "Agent. Report to my office now." The call ended without ceremony.

And so it begins, he thought wearily.

He went to tell Cirean that he was going to HQ. She nodded, still without saying anything. He closed the door quietly and left her to sit in watchful hope.

iamthehoyden
02.15.2013 , 10:36 AM | #76
I liked this. A reasoning behind his analytical detachment. (edited cause I can't spell, lol)
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Syart
02.16.2013 , 08:54 AM | #77
Lokin met Watcher One just coming out of Keeper's office. The Watcher gave him a look of mingled sympathy and warning. "Go on in, Agent, he's expecting you."

"Thanks Watcher, see you later."

One's expression was very non-committal. He opened his mouth as though to say something, then just nodded and walked away.

Lokin took a moment and a couple of deep breaths to compose himself, putting on his exterior armour of blandness, giving away as little as possible. Then he walked into the office.

Keeper was reading something on a datapad and ignored him entirely.

Lokin was rather surprised that Keeper would use such basic and transparent tactics in order to unsettle him. Two can play at that game, he thought, and simply waited calmly, doing his best to project an aura of infinite patience.

Keeper cracked first. Score one to me, thought Lokin, but let nothing of that show in his face.

"Agent, I imagine you know why you're here."

"I assume for reassignment, Keeper", Lokin responded brightly, as though nothing was wrong.

Keeper's stare attempted to be as cold as Hoth on a winter's day. He doesn't really have the face for this, thought Lokin. Too soft, you can tell he's been in an office all his life, no operational experience. He stared back at Keeper with an expression of mild enquiry.

"You are being removed from operational service. The psychological assessments", Keeper gestured at the datapad, "are unanimous in deeming you unfit for your current position as an Imperial Agent."

A blow, but not entirely unexpected.

"You are downgraded with immediate effect, and consequent loss of pay and privileges. Your new designation will be Fixer Fifteen."

A Fixer ... well, at least I'm not getting sacked, or 're-educated'. Or disappeared.

"Furthermore, I consider you to be unsuitable for continued service within Imperial Intelligence Headquarters operations. You are therefore transferred as of today to the Imperial Science Bureau, where you will work on an Intelligence research project."

Could be worse. I'll miss the action, but the research might be interesting. And there will always scope for extra-curricular activities to maintain my Agent training, not lose my edge.

"Additionally, you will be working with the Kaas City Military Police, as a science and medical adviser. This will be your official position."

Ouch, that's a considerable downgrade.

"Your file is now marked as being under disciplinary action, and your service status is reduced to probationary level, to be reviewed again in two years. The ISB will be informed of this reason for your transfer, although without full details."

Probationary status? That's just adding insult to injury.

"You may report now to Minder Nineteen who will provide details of your new assignments." Keeper looked back down at the datapad, in clear dismissal.

Trying for the condescending tone. Just like my old headmaster, come to think of it.

"Will that be all, Keeper?" he enquired, being deliberately annoying.

"Yes Age.. Fixer. You are dismissed."

“What about my team? Agent Geardail and Cipher Twelve.”

“They are no longer any concern of yours. There will be no further contact between you. Now go, you have a job to do.” Another attempt at the cold stare.

“Of course, Keeper. Do have a nice day.” He smiled as benignly as he could and left the office.

Syart
02.19.2013 , 01:00 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I liked this. A reasoning behind his analytical detachment. (edited cause I can't spell, lol)
When I started my writing plan for Lokin's story, the Warhammer was just going to be a sort of throwaway episode, an example of the sort of thing he got up to as a junior agent. I based it on the brief mention of it in his dossier. But, in one of those examples of characters developing lives of their own and going off and doing their own thing, it turned out to be a pivotal moment, the single most important event of his career. Everything that he is, everything that he does in the future, everything that happens to him, is ending up linking back to this in some way (*still writing bits of it*). It's a total game changer for him.

Syart
02.19.2013 , 01:04 PM | #79
(A year later)

Twelve and Lokin met in a small restaurant on Nar Shaddaa, which they'd discovered a couple of years back during a surveillance operation. It was owned and run by Mirialans and provided authentic cuisine, which both of them enjoyed. They ordered a bottle of wine and then sat chatting idly about nothing in particular while they separately ran bug scans and Lokin set up a small localised sound damping field just in case.

"How's life in scientific research?" enquired Twelve, once he was sure they were secure.

Lokin ran a professional eye over Twelve before replying. The Agent looked as fit as ever, though there was still faint scarring on his face.

"More interesting than I expected", he replied. "They've based me officially in Project Cicerone, they've set up a big clinical trial on the seasonal leukoencephalopathic virus from Castell, working on a new mindwiping-type variant. They have me overseeing the study, nominally, but it's only part time work."

"Of course, you're advising the military police in Kaas City too, aren't you?"

"That's my official position as far as anyone else is concerned", said Lokin disparagingly. "Fortunately I'm just a consultant, called in when needed. It hasn't involved much so far, an hour or so here and there, though I spent a few days with a spice smuggling ring being run out of Kaas City."

Twelve opened his eyes wide in mock disapproval. "You were smuggling spice?"

Lokin chuckled. "A lesson to me to choose my words more carefully. I was analysing different strains of spice, proving where each batch had come from and who'd handled it."

"Useful work, then", Twelve commented.

"Worthy indeed, but terribly dull. There's not much fun in being respectable."

"No, you wouldn't really enjoy that. Born to be a troublemaker, I don't suppose that'll ever change much." Twelve grinned and Lokin chuckled again.

Twelve refilled his wine glass and proffered the bottle to Lokin. "So if you're avoiding the police, and only doing part time virus things, how do you occupy the rest of your time? Making trouble?"

"How can you suggest such a thing?" Lokin attempted a look of wide-eyed innocence. "Actually, they've let me loose in another project, Harvest. I put in a budget application to investigate interspecies genetic splicing with a view to producing controlled phenotypic adaptations, and it was accepted. So I'm spending as much time as I can over there."

"Genetic splicing, hmm? What have you spliced so far? And what adaptations are you after?"

"Whatever I can do.” Lokin shrugged. “It's barely out of the in vitro experiments so far, hoping to get into pre-clinical with something better than worms in the next few months. This is long term, probably decades of work ahead, but it's fascinating stuff. If I'd never gone into Intelligence, this is the sort of thing I'd always dreamed of doing."

"You don't regret being out of Intelligence, then?"

Lokin looked down with a thoughtful frown. "I wouldn't say that, exactly. I miss the action, I miss working with you and Cirean. I miss the intrigue and being able to be myself where it's an asset, not a hindrance. I even miss not knowing what's going to happen next." He grinned. "Never thought I'd say that. Maybe they'll let me back one day, but I won't be dropping the genetics work any time soon. I'll experiment on myself if I can't get anything else."

He glanced over at the Mirialan waiter who was heading purposefully for their table with a tray full of food, and switched off the sound damper as the man came up.

"How are you keeping, then?" he asked Twelve as the waiter arrived.

"Oh, very well indeed. Quite back to normal now." He smiled. "You know, I never had the chance to thank you properly."

"I only did what anyone else would have done." Lokin looked a little embarrassed.

"Evidently not", Twelve said drily. "Don't think I didn't see the reports."

The waiter finished arranging their dishes on the table and asked if they would like to order another drink. The two men thanked him but declined, and Lokin reinstated the sound damper as the waiter retired again.

They filled up their plates, and for a few minutes conversation languished as they concentrated on food.

Then Twelve said, "They still have me on lighter duties, though. Like they think I'll break in two if I get caught in a thunderstorm." He rolled his eyes.

"But you are still a Cipher, aren't you?"

"Oh yes, they didn't take that away." He sighed.

"What have they got you doing?"

"I'm out on the Empire's fringes, early observation, covert guarding of initial contacts, cultivating allies. It's interesting, I suppose, a new life, new civilisations, boldly going where not many Imperials have gone before. But there's not much of a challenge to it, yet. I suspect half the reason is to keep me as far out of circulation as possible and away from Cirean. And you, but maybe less so." He grinned.

Lokin grimaced. "They would do that."

Twelve nodded. “But don't misjudge Keeper, he's a man in a difficult place. Think about what he could have done and why he didn't. Times are changing. But we'll talk about that some other time.” He smiled cheerfully. “What do you make of this chostra sauce? I think they've added a touch of syzel root to it.”

Beniboybling
02.19.2013 , 01:15 PM | #80
Twelve and Lokin met in a small restaurant on Nar Shaddaa, which they'd discovered a couple of years back during a surveillance operation. It was owned and run by Mirialans and provided authentic cuisine, which both of them enjoyed. They ordered a bottle of wine and then sat chatting idly about nothing in particular while they separately ran bug scans and Lokin set up a small localised sound damping field just in case.
Lol, I love how it starts off normally, then switches to the wonderful world of Imperial Intelligence.

Oh and query, is Keeper the same Keeper we see in SWTOR or a different one? I figure the current Keeper might actually be younger than Lokin, so maybe not.