Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

All the world's a stage

Syart
01.15.2013 , 01:42 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Oh I'm so glad that his recruiter returned! Interesting guy, looking forward to this!
Excellent *rubs hands with Montgomery Burns-type glee and plans more plot twists*
Control, passion, diligence: these three principles shape your world.

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Syart
01.15.2013 , 01:43 PM | #42
(Six months later)

The missions Twelve had taken them on so far had given them a good idea of each other’s capabilities, and it rapidly became plain that he had made excellent choices; they all fitted together as though they’d been made for each other, not just in skills but as friends.

The missions had been almost laughably easy, however, and, despite his liking for Twelve, Lokin found himself inwardly sneering at the son of a Moff who’d obviously got his Cipher position through his father and just picked the simple jobs with little danger.

However, Twelve had just informed them that all the previous missions, although genuine enough, had been selected for training purposes. But this one was serious and for real. And there was a problem. A big problem. It wasn’t completely clear what had gone wrong, but the data Watcher One had supplied was totally inadequate for the facility that they needed to penetrate. The schematics were out of date, and security had clearly been beefed up considerably since the information on file. There was supposed to be an Imperial contact, but he hadn't reported in for over a year, and somehow no-one had thought to chase this up before.

The mission was critical, however, involving a Republic agent who was believed to have corrupted a high ranking Moff. Twelve was the only agent in the sector qualified to infiltrate the local Republic headquarters, discover exactly who the Republic agent was, any information he or she had retrieved, and find confirmation or otherwise of the Moff’s connection. At the same time, they needed to gather up to date and accurate information about the HQ facility itself, as well as troop dispositions, since they were there. Additionally, they were to try and find out what had happened to the embedded Imperial contact.

Twelve and Cirean expected to have to adjust on the fly, but Lokin still liked to plan ahead and know what he was going into and wasn’t pleased. “You’re sending us in there half-prepped! We have no idea what we’ll be up against and we probably won’t come out. Don’t you care what happens to us?”

Twelve’s expression didn’t change. “We are all expendable, Agent. Only the mission matters. Always remember that. If you cannot divorce yourself from your feelings, you have no place in Imperial Intelligence.”

“How can you be so cold?!”

“If you survive long enough, you'll find out. The odds are fair, for this one. Don’t underestimate yourselves. Now let’s go.”

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Syart
01.17.2013 , 01:51 PM | #43
They went, and did survive, surprisingly easily. This was by far the toughest job they’d done, but the practice missions had shown them exactly how to work together, each supporting the others. Whether it was the extra adrenalin or not he wasn’t sure, but all of them moved up several gears. Cirean was almost uncanny. She seemed to know where all the guards and defence positions were by instinct, and with absolute coolness and precision she dealt with them as necessary, slicing hostile droids, employing shielding tech while Lokin was working and they were stationary, tossing distracting and stunning grenades, and sending perfectly aimed lethal bolts from her sniper rifle. Almost nothing came close enough to need her vibroknife, but she was equally proficient with that when it was required.

He hadn't done advanced weapons training, of course, and wasn’t familiar enough with most of the gadgetry she employed, but his own basic training with blaster pistol and vibroknife gave him the realisation that, no matter how he practised, he would never in his whole life reach anything close to Cirean's standard. He already knew she was competent, but his respect for her rose considerably, and he accepted that the assessments at the academy had indeed been right; he could not do what she did.

All the while he spiked the computer terminals he needed and downloaded the data as Twelve directed. A lot of the data security was remarkably simple to crack - it didn’t occur to him at the time that it was actually quite good, but his training surpassed it by a wide margin and he was on top of his game. He kept a constant monitor on Cirean’s vital signs, sending a kolto stream her way when needed, supplying stims and adrenals, and occasionally using his carbonite projector to immobilise anything that looked too close or dangerous.

While Cirean and Lokin went through the building, Twelve had headed straight to the control centre and taken it over single-handedly. From there, he was keeping tabs on them throughout, relaying information that they needed, directing them to the right areas, advising them on tactics, picking up the data Lokin sent back. It all went like clockwork. They made a perfect team. That didn’t stop Lokin resenting Twelve’s willingness to sacrifice them for the sake of the mission.

Several missions later, some of the resentment was still there. But Lokin was learning to improvise a lot more, and he was also beginning to concede that it didn’t matter whether Twelve was the son of the Emperor or a Rylothian back alley slave trader. He was not a political appointee but someone who was very, very good at his job.

Spoiler

iamthehoyden
01.17.2013 , 02:39 PM | #44
It's interesting to see a fairly non-cynical Lokin. Before the fall, so to speak.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Syart
01.19.2013 , 04:02 AM | #45
The three of them were back on Dromund Kaas for a couple of weeks R&R before heading out again. At least, that was the intention. Unfortunately, two days into their break, when they were relaxing over a drink in the Nexus Room cantina, Watcher One contacted them.

"Sorry to break into your leave, Twelve." He sounded cheerful and not at all apologetic.

"Not a problem", said Twelve politely, while Lokin and Cirean grimaced at each other, out of sight of the holocom. Twelve cast them a quelling glance, at which Lokin grinned and Cirean giggled.

"We've got a situation developing. If you could call into Headquarters as soon as possible, Keeper would be glad to see you."

"We'll be there first thing in the morning, One", said Twelve, and cut the call before the Watcher could say anything else. He switched his holocom off and returned it to his pocket.

"Have you two juniors no respect for your superiors?" he complained.

"Not a lot", said Lokin. He rolled his eyes expressively.

"Me neither", said Cirean, and giggled again.

"True, I did notice that about both of you from the start, I should have guessed it would extend to me too. I shall drown my sorrows in drink." He sighed heavily as he picked up his glass, and then grinned as Cirean poked him hard in the ribs.

The briefing the next morning was quite short. Carn Ban, a senior research administrator with the Imperial Science Bureau was planning to defect. He had access to a large amount of information about Imperial military research and technology, and it was vital to prevent that getting into Republic hands. Ban had got himself transferred to oversee some experiments on the Warhammer, a dreadnought temporarily assigned to military research, and which was scheduled to leave in two days. It was known that a Republic SIS unit was intending to intercept the ship to get him off.

The task was obvious: extract Carn Ban quickly and silently before the SIS got there, and get him back to Dromund Kaas. In the unlikely event that the extraction couldn't be completed, they were to neutralise him. A fast Intelligence patrol ship fitted with stealth technology would follow the Warhammer to do the pickup, staying just out of sensor range. They themselves would infiltrate the Warhammer covertly, rather than being officially assigned to the crew or the research passengers, as they would all be leaving with Ban. One person vanishing is odd, but four would be a lot more noticeable.

Beniboybling
01.20.2013 , 06:40 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Syart View Post
Spoiler
Attention to detail, always important.

Syart
01.21.2013 , 04:00 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
It's interesting to see a fairly non-cynical Lokin. Before the fall, so to speak.
I read from that that you find young Lokin convincing, which is encouraging, thank you He does have a lot of falling to do, poor man.

Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Attention to detail, always important.
Why is it that outlines work so well in my head but then get totally out of control when I actually come to write them? I got to 3 pages on that one 'short' episode, then I gave up and summarised it, but since I had the outline I didn't want to ignore it totally

Syart
01.21.2013 , 04:03 AM | #48
Getting onto the Warhammer was entirely straightforward. They simply walked through security as themselves, then donned military uniforms with the Warhammer's insignia and strolled onto the ship amongst the rest of the crew complement. Once aboard, they split up, Lokin to the medical bays, Twelve to the engineering deck, and Cirean to the passenger quarters.

This was only one of many extractions the team had carried out, and the plan was straightforward. Cirean would find Ban and use the breakfast service to administer a delayed release short-acting anaesthetic which would cause him to collapse after a couple of hours. The delay meant the collapse would occur while he was working, and in front of witnesses with Cirean not being in the immediate vicinity. He would then be taken to the medical bay, followed by Cirean acting as a concerned crew member. There, Lokin could immobilise him properly under the pretext of examining and treating him.

While they were doing that, Twelve would get access to the bridge computers and tie the following patrol craft in with a covert secure link, giving them full knowledge of the Warhammer's speed and course. He would also rig the escape pod nearest to the medical bay to eject without notification to the bridge and without setting off any alarms. They would all then enter the escape pod with Ban, eject, and signal the patroller which would engage its stealth drive and come to pick them up. All very routine, no problems, home-in-time-for-lunch sort of job, as Cirean put it.

Syart
01.23.2013 , 12:37 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I've got a bad feeling about this...
Naturally