Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

Varask's Avatar


Varask
12.21.2012 , 01:47 AM | #61

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 03:53 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
, and [2] I doubt any MMO will have 10 million active subscribers again. Ever. WoW was in the right place at the right time. If you're looking for another shooting star like that, you'll be looking for a while. Like ... maybe decades.

Personally, I'll stick to my May prognostication: 850,000 by the new year and over 1M by the next expansion's release. This game probably will never see 5M actives. But again, no MMO ever will. Titan could be the exception, but only if Chuck Norris does their TV commercials.

This is exactly true, which puzzles me with why MMORPG companies constantly copy WoW instead of innovating in new ways.

Personally if I had to guess I'd say SWTOR probably had between 500,000 and 750,000 subs now (from a low of ~500,000 to 400,000 just befoee F2P) however I don't think it is rising going from server numbers.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 06:33 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
This is exactly true, which puzzles me with why MMORPG companies constantly copy WoW instead of innovating in new ways.

Personally if I had to guess I'd say SWTOR probably had between 500,000 and 750,000 subs now (from a low of ~500,000 to 400,000 just befoee F2P) however I don't think it is rising going from server numbers.
because inovation is too risky. Gamers always say they want something new and innovative but the truth is quite the opposite.
Whats the best selling FPS franchise? Call of Duty. Meanwhile innovative FPS like Killer 7, Stalker, Metro, Deus Ex and others at best do ok.

RTS? Starcraft is the most succesful while others that are far more innovative lose out.

TIme and time again players say they want something innovative but always buy the same old.

When it comes to MMOs you are talking about a HUGE investment so what do you do? You make it close to the industry leader while adding your own unique things.
Games that try something different like The Secret World, or SWG end up failing hard because the truth is players don't want that. Players want what they are used to.

Spiritinblack's Avatar


Spiritinblack
12.21.2012 , 06:37 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
because inovation is too risky. Gamers always say they want something new and innovative but the truth is quite the opposite.
Whats the best selling FPS franchise? Call of Duty. Meanwhile innovative FPS like Killer 7, Stalker, Metro, Deus Ex and others at best do ok.

RTS? Starcraft is the most succesful while others that are far more innovative lose out.

TIme and time again players say they want something innovative but always buy the same old.

When it comes to MMOs you are talking about a HUGE investment so what do you do? You make it close to the industry leader while adding your own unique things.
Games that try something different like The Secret World, or SWG end up failing hard because the truth is players don't want that. Players want what they are used to.
This is so true.... look what happened here, in this very game. How many times have you seen, "this is standard MMo stuff that should have been added to the game"

Well maybe they were trying to do something different.
I have been called a hater for voicing my opinion. So be it. But I would rather die on my feet, then live on my knees.

Fornix's Avatar


Fornix
12.21.2012 , 06:38 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
because inovation is too risky. Gamers always say they want something new and innovative but the truth is quite the opposite.
Whats the best selling FPS franchise? Call of Duty. Meanwhile innovative FPS like Killer 7, Stalker, Metro, Deus Ex and others at best do ok.

RTS? Starcraft is the most succesful while others that are far more innovative lose out.

TIme and time again players say they want something innovative but always buy the same old.

When it comes to MMOs you are talking about a HUGE investment so what do you do? You make it close to the industry leader while adding your own unique things.
Games that try something different like The Secret World, or SWG end up failing hard because the truth is players don't want that. Players want what they are used to.
It is important to keep in mind that it's just a very vocal minority which keeps proclaiming they want something new, the rest simply can't be bothered to join in on those discussions prior to release.
Member of <Helix>

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 06:43 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
because inovation is too risky. Gamers always say they want something new and innovative but the truth is quite the opposite.
Whats the best selling FPS franchise? Call of Duty. Meanwhile innovative FPS like Killer 7, Stalker, Metro, Deus Ex and others at best do ok.

RTS? Starcraft is the most succesful while others that are far more innovative lose out.

TIme and time again players say they want something innovative but always buy the same old.

When it comes to MMOs you are talking about a HUGE investment so what do you do? You make it close to the industry leader while adding your own unique things.
Games that try something different like The Secret World, or SWG end up failing hard because the truth is players don't want that. Players want what they are used to.



Except innovation isn't more "risky" than just copying and failing again and again.

I know it's happening and why (this is why all video games, not just MMORPGs, are now endless copies of something done before, and the same can be said for films and largely music), I'm saying I don't agree with the corporate accountants view, they have no idea, which is WHY all those industries are declining.

Yet indy development (and film and music) is innovating and is getting bigger all the time.



SWTOR has a further problem in that they didn't even hit the lower bar for copying in many respects, and unfortunately Class Story (which has largely been abandoned now anyway) whilst GREAT doesn't make up for that.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 06:46 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post




Except innovation isn't more "risky" than just copying and failing again and again.

I know it's happening and why (this is why all video games, not just MMORPGs, are now endless copies of something done before, and the same can be said for films and largely music), I'm saying I don't agree with the corporate accountants view, they have no idea, which is WHY all those industries are declining.

Yet indy development (and film and music) is innovating and is getting bigger all the time.



SWTOR has a further problem in that they didn't even hit the lower bar for copying in many respects, and unfortunately Class Story (which has largely been abandoned now anyway) whilst GREAT doesn't make up for that.
but it is more risky. Can you name an innovative MMO that has been succesful?

Yes some indie games are doing well the most obvious is Minecraft. However those are the few. Most indie games have only a handful of people working on it. Of course they never reach the numbers of CoD, or even the numbers of say Medal of Honor.

btw you assume that class story has been abandoned. Remember Makeb was just supposed to be a regular content patch. It was never meant to continue the class story. I assume that would happen with a proper expansion pack.

Spiritinblack's Avatar


Spiritinblack
12.21.2012 , 06:47 AM | #68
This all does'nt even matter anymore anyway.... We all are'nt even here.... The end of the world happened, so all this is just a figment of our imaginations.


HAPPY END OF THE WORLD DAY EVERYONE......
I have been called a hater for voicing my opinion. So be it. But I would rather die on my feet, then live on my knees.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 06:51 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
but it is more risky. Can you name an innovative MMO that has been succesful?
We've been through this before:
Can you name ANY MMORPG that has been "successful" since WoW?


Quote:
Yes some indie games are doing well the most obvious is Minecraft. However those are the few. Most indie games have only a handful of people working on it. Of course they never reach the numbers of CoD, or even the numbers of say Medal of Honor.
There's a lot of indy games doing well, not Minecraft-well, but again Minecraft is an exception not the rule (much like WoW).

Quote:
btw you assume that class story has been abandoned. Remember Makeb was just supposed to be a regular content patch. It was never meant to continue the class story. I assume that would happen with a proper expansion pack.
It's not in Makeb and there are no plans for the foreseeable future, sure we may see some more eventually (and we may never too), but it's not going to be before late 2013 at the very earilest.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 06:55 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
We've been through this before:
Can you name ANY MMORPG that has been "successful" since WoW?



There's a lot of indy games doing well, not Minecraft-well, but again Minecraft is an exception not the rule (much like WoW).


It's not in Makeb and there are no plans for the foreseeable future, sure we may see some more eventually (and we may never too), but it's not going to be before late 2013 at the very earilest.
1. Yes. EQ2 has been very succesful, LotrO it has found F2P is very profitable, and Rift is also doing well and still P2P.

2. Yes but indie games are ONLY succesful because they are small and made by small teams. You could not have an indy MMO for example.

3. Forseable future?? come on man we don't even know whats going to be in patch 1.7 let alone in Makeb. What makes you think we are going to know when the class stories are going to continue.

You need to remember we are still gettting content that was supposed to be out over the summer if they hadn't downsized. From the launch and data mining Makeb was supposed to be out in like patch 1.5.