Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

Spiritinblack
12.20.2012 , 10:49 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
except you forget that they can't lie during investor calls. They said during the investor calls that it was ABOVE 500k in the last call.
This.... And as much as we are not privy to the exact info on it... Shareholders are. They do have Exact numbers. And probably asked for them as well.
I have been called a hater for voicing my opinion. So be it. But I would rather die on my feet, then live on my knees.

Taorus
12.20.2012 , 10:51 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Ignore what the other poster said.

The reason why is because EA doesnt want only profitable, they want a rampanging sucess that gives them alot of money. That is the only reason why the game went F2P option. EA craves alot of money as fast as possible. Its usually the enemy of perfection, but if EA does get that, then the game will thrive with more support.

Actually that was with free month. I dont recall sub numbers above 1.2-1.5 million.
First announced number was 1.7 million
http://www.gamespot.com/news/star-wa...e-subs-6349578

xilbuster
12.20.2012 , 11:03 PM | #53
you guys are out of your mind this game has less than 100k or it wouldn't of went f2p or releasing dlc as an expansion. AT lest until Bioware shows numbers and proves otherwise.

-IceHawk-
12.20.2012 , 11:08 PM | #54
As best as we can tell from the Financial Statements SW:TOR's decision to go F2P was not because we had crashed through the bottom of the "break-even-floor" of 500,000, but due to panic on EA's part that their projected profit margin likely shrunk by two-thirds.

We were given a series of reports: A steady decline from 1.7Million to 1.35 Million to "less than a million but more than 500,000."

I would hazard a guess at 750,000 as a moderated point.

We have lost two-thirds of our subscription base.
If we gain back 1 player for every 4 we lost over the last year we will be over a million subs.

I would quite like that actually.

LordVilos
12.20.2012 , 11:48 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by xilbuster View Post
you guys are out of your mind this game has less than 100k or it wouldn't of went f2p or releasing dlc as an expansion. AT lest until Bioware shows numbers and proves otherwise.
This is by far the most idiotic response I have seen. All new MMOs will be f2p. F2P is not a bad thing. The only reason World of Warcraft has not adopted this is due to the fact that they do have so many subscribers. If they had between 1 to 2 Million they would switch over to free to play also. Free to play with a cash shop always makes more money. Unless you have over two million subscribers

Oceanzen
12.21.2012 , 12:01 AM | #56
My friends and I picked this game back up when it went F2P last month. We are now all subscribers. For now.

I like the fact that I can still play the game even when it doesn't feel worth the monthly fee. F2P is indeed the future but it doesn't mean free gaming. It just means the subscribe-to-a-video-game model didn't make sense for the industry.

DaRoamer
12.21.2012 , 12:08 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by xilbuster View Post
Wouldn't have. Have.

Bounty_
12.21.2012 , 12:35 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Connll View Post
So, if SWTOR never got below 500k subs, the point they originally set their measuring stick, why the hell did EA did such a mess with the SWTOR team? Layoffs, restrictions in the budget, etc?

If the game was, although not the new king of MMOs, a financial success, why take those measures that so strongly resemble "milk-the-cash-cow-dry-and-run"?

Anyone has any idea?
Here is a base explination why the team got cut down. its an industry standard on most part and this some it very well.

Here

Its the 7th post down.

This could also be referd to the post that said the subs were 100k, its the first post, very well written very well.
Naroko'iss - POT5 - Phoenix Down
Cage - Jedi Covenant - Order Of Retribution
Aliit ori'shya taldin, Mando'a for Family is more then blood.

GalacticKegger
12.21.2012 , 12:50 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Connll View Post
So, according to posters opinion, SWTOR amount of active subscripstions is between 300k-600k.

An average of 450k then? WoW. less than 20% of the top number.

Not sure about how I feel about this... I wanted this game to be the next WoW, you know... What did we do wrong?
Good news and bad news. The good news ( I guess) is that these forums represent (on industry average anyway) less than 5% of the playing population. Most are intelligent enough (unlike yours truly) to not subject themselves to flaming when they openly support a game. They just go about their extracurricular activities, pay their subs and keep playing. They couldn't give a rats arse about someone who screams fail because no one on the inside caters to them directly.

The bad news (I guess) is this game will never be WoW in space for two reasons: [1] they are way different games (I did notice that WoW ditched their original pos UI in favor of a LOTRO clone - except you can't customize a damn thing ... classic Blizz), and [2] I doubt any MMO will have 10 million active subscribers again. Ever. WoW was in the right place at the right time. If you're looking for another shooting star like that, you'll be looking for a while. Like ... maybe decades.

Personally, I'll stick to my May prognostication: 850,000 by the new year and over 1M by the next expansion's release. This game probably will never see 5M actives. But again, no MMO ever will. Titan could be the exception, but only if Chuck Norris does their TV commercials.

To answer you're question ... the only people who did anything wrong were the so called "expert analysts." They too often display a penchant for treating "the next greatest thing" MMOs like junk bonds. It's mostly copy for trollnation. Which is why I personally take their expert opinions with a grain of salt.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Kalfear
12.21.2012 , 12:57 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Spiritinblack View Post
We don't have exact numbers.... so no one knows. For subs I will guess for you though. 300-600k sounds about right to me.

(all opinion of course)
^^^^ This

The fanbois will tell you its 600k + and everything is roses
The haters will say 300k or lower (not calling you a hater OP, just the number fits their patern)

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle at around 400k, but EAs never admitted that publically.

In a perfect world we should be able to read the shareholder reports to see an accurate number but EA has been padding those numbers since day 1 with free trials and non subscribed players (and I wouldnt expect them to change this joke of a policy now with the enterance of the F2P crowd)

In fact it wouldnt shock me to see them suddenly proclaim they over the million mark again (with the counting of the F2P accounts as "subscribers").

Best guess (with out a agenda either way) is 400k-500k.

As you pointed out, EA themselves said 500k was the break even point, so they had to be there for F2P to get as rushed in as it has.

As a player I certainly dont see this influx of players.
Ive been merged 2 times now, and rerolled from a dead server once, and even on my server (Harbringer) Black hole has dropped from 80 people to 12 people in off hours and the fleet load is much lesser now then when merger happened. So that indictates less players, not more playing.

Pop is down Subscriber wise but I do think the Cartel Market has given TOR a shot of adreniline Financially for the time begin.

Anyones guess if it can maintain long term. We shall see.

So thats your answer as best as you can find.

I know if I was a shareholder Id certainly like a non padder report on subscriber levels, but thats just not going to happen sadly.

So you will continue to hear everything is hunky dorry as servers merge and get shut down by the fanbois
and
you will hear how the bottom falling out by the haters

Just save yourself the headaches and cut the difference of the two groups and call it a day.
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets