Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

erei
12.20.2012 , 01:59 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Please dont believe numbers doomsayers pull out of their back side. They have an agenda, ignore their posts.

I wish some numbers would be revealed so we could definitly call them on their umm... you know.
MMO Rule : if the numbers are not released, they are bad. If they are, they are good.
WoW released his numbers. Eve did to, and started to it slightly less with the monocle debacle. Lineage 2 never hide it.
However, after the release, both AoC and SWTOR went silent. AoC was a complete failure, as usual for Funcom, and they merged servers after servers, until there are a few of them left.
SWTOR made a f2p system LESS than a year after such an exceptional release. Server merge to. That say a lot.
So yeah, ATM a lot of people are playing. Veterans coming back for the f2p, new player, etc... But how many of them will stay ? The F2P system is so bad if you don't sub, it's a pain to play the game, and frustrating. Many of those new f2p left in disgust, and you can read their taunt and troll on others MMOs forum/general chat.

I'm not a doomsayer, and won't say the game wil close in a matter of month. It doesn't matter since we are dead tomorrow anyway (joke)! I'm just saying that between optimistic and doomsayers, you have the realist.
Collector edition. Beta tester. P2P since Day One.
Cash Shop only Life Day event ? P2W ship items ? Makeb not free for P2P ?
Here is my Life Day gift for EAWHARE

Slurmez
12.20.2012 , 02:08 PM | #22
according to the fanboys, SWTOR has eleventy gajillion subs and makes Bioware and EA enough to fund a gold plated deathstar

"haters" however suggest the number has fallen into the minus figures.

I dont think swtor is profitable to be honest, they will have a hefty license fee to stump up a month, the game is hemorrhaging staff and no transition to free to play has ever smacked so much of a cash grab, they are even selling "hope" with next to no information just before Christmas to make the spreadsheets look better.

Spoletta
12.20.2012 , 02:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SnoggyMack View Post
My guess is around 750,000 subscribers.
That is my guess too.

Shingara
12.20.2012 , 02:12 PM | #24
my guess is between 1 and 600k at a push. If they were getting enough revanue from subs they wouldnt be charging us for Makeb.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

DorkTrooper
12.20.2012 , 02:12 PM | #25
They have mine. Can't help you past that.

AlienEyeTX
12.20.2012 , 02:15 PM | #26
I have no clue the number of subs. However, for those that say introduction of F2P is an indication that numbers have dropped below a profitable number, I disagree. This is simply a different business model and a way to generate even more revenue. I would expect that future games don't even bother launching without cash shops from the get go.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

NinjaApacHe
12.20.2012 , 02:16 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
guess between 200k and 400k now and getting smaller all the time. But the freeloaders are still making the game populated.
I think subs raised around 700/800k, but the population is higher than 1,2 mil. Plus people are spending lots of money on gambling packs.

Arkerus
12.20.2012 , 02:19 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Connll View Post
So, according to posters opinion, SWTOR amount of active subscripstions is between 300k-600k.

An average of 450k then? WoW. less than 20% of the top number.

Not sure about how I feel about this... I wanted this game to be the next WoW, you know... What did we do wrong?
Validating your opinion based on popularity. Typical.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Goretzu
12.20.2012 , 02:21 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Connll View Post
Anyone knows the answer?

It's almost impossible for us to say now, because F2P masks all the guessitmate stats.

Certainly I think SWTOR was probably down to around 500,000 subs just before F2P, but now? Who knows.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

AhaziBorn
12.20.2012 , 02:39 PM | #30
There really is no way to tell to be honest, because the company chooses to hide the numbers from the populace, which in itself is generally not a good sign. I am not saying it's the end of the game, but a company that remains close-lipped is probably not the best one to be running things. I would estimate, though, as a returning player, they probably have between 350-500K active subscribers now, with the launch of free-to-play. I am sure they have over One Million accounts, though, just not all subscription. And I will be honest, I am betting hardly any of the F2P people are the ones spending cash in the cartel market. People paying for a subscription have the cash, people who need to F2P, probably don't.

That being said, I was here in beta and at launch, and enjoyed the game for a few months, but it got very stale very fast and I left just before patch 1.2. I just came back this month and find I enjoy it still, but I do not know how long I will stay subbed, as it hasn't changed all that much. I would have been Free-2-Play, but after having been a sub, I found the restrictions too annoying, though someone who hasn't subbed before might not mind it terribly.

And honestly, I expected them to introduce a cash shop sooner than they did, as that seems to be the normal business model for recent MMO's. I thought Diablo III was going to be an awesome game, but that fell hard and is just now barely picking itself back up again.
Thank you, Japan, for rescuing America from the brink of caring about Soccer - Stephen Colbert