Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Truth about SWTOR's Competitive PvP and how to fix it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Truth about SWTOR's Competitive PvP and how to fix it.

DarthMaulUK
12.19.2012 , 11:47 AM | #11
Good post. Lets face it, Bioware have got the community wrong from day 1. I don't know why/how etc but as a Star Wars game and as a pvp'er and taking a look at what is out there, the scope to cough up something different was huge - but they failed.

In games in WAR, I liked the Pvp zones on the maps and the fact that if a higher level player entered it, they turned into a chicken(brilliant), I would love to see a spectator mode like in League of legends or have the community team actually do some commentary for PvP matches - or even better, JOIN server Qs so we can play them. X-server goes without saying - it IS needed. ASAP.

As for open world, I think we need to have server wide buffs like Guild Wars 2 does, giving people a reason to play. Kills should yield WZ coms and other goodies you cant get anywhere else to again encourage the masses to visit.

SWTOR pvp is frustrating. I just love the Assassin class compared to any other MMO I have played yet its placed into an outdated game mechanic.

Come on Bioware,flex your creative muscle! GRRRR
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

-Mythix-
12.19.2012 , 12:01 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
1. population is not dwindling.
...... >..<......

Fayme
12.19.2012 , 12:06 PM | #13
I agree with your post completely. I would be nice to see at least a change in the type of pvp. Having the ability to chose the warzone would be nice after cross-server queuing. Also, I would like to see a warzone of a larger scale too with 16 players. I also think ranked or whatever the next type of commendations are for the new tier of gear should only be obtainable from ranked warzones. I thought they only reason it was obtainable with regular comms was because of the last notice delay of the launch of ranked warzones. But that would then require single player queuing, so here my list of changes to be seen in the order I'd like to see them:

1. Fix resolve system correctly this time
2. Cross sever queues
3. Ability to chose the warzone you want to play
4. Match-making system for ranked matches
5. Single player queuing for ranked matches
6. New commendations for new gear only obtainable through ranked matches
7. Arena style system for 4 players and below (ranked and regular)
8. Large scale warzones for 16 players and above

I could probably go on, but I think that list is long enough!
SWTOR PvP = nerf teams of stunlocking operatives to create teams of stunlocking [insert any AC here]

Xinika
12.19.2012 , 12:07 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Fayme View Post
I agree with your post completely. I would be nice to see at least a change in the type of pvp. Having the ability to chose the warzone would be nice after cross-server queuing. Also, I would like to see a warzone of a larger scale too with 16 players. I also think ranked or whatever the next type of commendations are for the new tier of gear should only be obtainable from ranked warzones. I thought they only reason it was obtainable with regular comms was because of the last notice delay of the launch of ranked warzones. But that would then require single player queuing, so here my list of changes to be seen in the order I'd like to see them:

1. Fix resolve system correctly this time
2. Cross sever queues
3. Ability to chose the warzone you want to play
4. Match-making system for ranked matches
5. Single player queuing for ranked matches
6. New commendations for new gear only obtainable through ranked matches
7. Arena style system for 4 players and below (ranked and regular)
8. Large scale warzones for 16 players and above

Solid post. The idea was not for the Arena style to replace ranked perse, but merely be an addition.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK View Post
Good post. Lets face it, Bioware have got the community wrong from day 1. I don't know why/how etc but as a Star Wars game and as a pvp'er and taking a look at what is out there, the scope to cough up something different was huge - but they failed.

In games in WAR, I liked the Pvp zones on the maps and the fact that if a higher level player entered it, they turned into a chicken(brilliant), I would love to see a spectator mode like in League of legends or have the community team actually do some commentary for PvP matches - or even better, JOIN server Qs so we can play them. X-server goes without saying - it IS needed. ASAP.

As for open world, I think we need to have server wide buffs like Guild Wars 2 does, giving people a reason to play. Kills should yield WZ coms and other goodies you cant get anywhere else to again encourage the masses to visit.

SWTOR pvp is frustrating. I just love the Assassin class compared to any other MMO I have played yet its placed into an outdated game mechanic.

Come on Bioware,flex your creative muscle! GRRRR
Agreed with just about everything said here. Especially concerning open world PvP.
Assassin Representative
Aeonneta | Shinarika | Semjase
Guides - Videos - Action
WATCHMEN

Capt_Beers
12.19.2012 , 12:12 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Xinika View Post
People link that post over and over again but the logic fails.

Here's why:

Blizzard called it a mistake because of balancing PvE vs PvP abilities.

Arena itself was a grand success.

Are you aware that Season 8 in WoW was the most heightened aspect in terms of growing population and sponsorships on the game?

Arena's implementation on WoW was one of the greatest things Blizzard has ever done.
I just don't see how smaller teams would do anything different than ranked does now. You would have a few teams with the "best comps" (I'm not saying skill doesn't have anything to do with it but you better believe people will complain about it) rolling over players who wanted to just wanted to play and brought 2 Gunnery Commandos with them. In smaller arenas you're still going to get Smashed for 6-7k, you're still going to get bubble stunned, you're still going to be eating back to back 4k HiB/RS.
<HVND> - Harbinger - <HVND>
Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Pyrotech

JustinxDuff
12.19.2012 , 12:13 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
We're tired of playing you too... tired of out DPS'ing you... wait... son of a *******!!!

No seriously... cross server is needed badly. This should be #1 on the PvP to-do list for BW.

If you're waiting on class balance in an MMO... you may have better luck taming a unicorn and riding him to the end of a rainbow to collect your pot of gold.
It baffles my mind how you want xserver queses over class balance. Even if you get your xserver queues you will still be facing the same exact team setups.
Bluntasaurus - Gunslinger - Ewoks Anonyous
Bluntskii - Sentinel - Ewoks Anonymous
Prophecy of the Five
Push the envelope, watch it bend

Antipodes
12.19.2012 , 12:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Xinika View Post
Are you aware that Season 8 in WoW was the most heightened aspect in terms of growing population and sponsorships on the game?
Good joke.

Season 8 was around the time MLG dropped WoW for having 45 minute caster cleave stalemates.

The season was 1) ridiculously long 2) caster cleave with PvE trinkets 3) double healer shadowmourne warriors.

MiaRB
12.19.2012 , 12:15 PM | #18
one of the devs said in an interview( its linked somewhere on here ) that they are looking at having dif team sizes in the future, 4v4, 6v6.

the problem with competitive pvp is the players. we'll see how BW overhauls ranked for season 1, but the results will be the same because the problem is players are given a rank and ratings. best thing to do is remove any ratings and just make ranked a nonrated team vs team play ground.

xserver is just a placebo and will not fix anything with rateds. teams will still duck top teams and still spend time and effort aranging phony matches.

the only competitive pvp that ever really works is GM run tournaments. that is what BW should focus on if they want esport style pvp. they should have team pvp tournaments on each server then take the winners from each server and have an overall tournament on a special server.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Xinika
12.19.2012 , 12:18 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
Good joke.

Season 8 was around the time MLG dropped WoW for having 45 minute caster cleave stalemates.

The season was 1) ridiculously long 2) caster cleave with PvE trinkets 3) double healer shadowmourne warriors.
...and despite that WoW's arena actually added to its player population and sales increase by a gigantic fold. It is quite a success. Despite however angry you may be at its class inbalance.

Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
I just don't see how smaller teams would do anything different than ranked does now. You would have a few teams with the "best comps" (I'm not saying skill doesn't have anything to do with it but you better believe people will complain about it) rolling over players who wanted to just wanted to play and brought 2 Gunnery Commandos with them. In smaller arenas you're still going to get Smashed for 6-7k, you're still going to get bubble stunned, you're still going to be eating back to back 4k HiB/RS.
It would be under more control than overwhelming force. I'm not saying class balance shouldn't be attended too. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of what a developer would look at.
Which is: Profit>Gain>Fun

Quote: Originally Posted by JustinxDuff View Post
It baffles my mind how you want xserver queses over class balance. Even if you get your xserver queues you will still be facing the same exact team setups.
Pretty much this, but it would work to solving one problem.
Assassin Representative
Aeonneta | Shinarika | Semjase
Guides - Videos - Action
WATCHMEN

cycao
12.19.2012 , 12:20 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Fayme View Post

1. Fix resolve system correctly this timeyep, no brainer.
2. Cross sever queuesShould be in.
3. Ability to chose the warzone you want to playThis is where I do not agree with. The matches should be random and whether it be you get to choose your map for ranked or regs you will get groups focusing on particular maps where certain classes have more of an advantage and that should not be the case.
4. Match-making system for ranked matchesThis will be needed more than ever now that WH is starting to level the playing field and more teams are going to start doing ranked (hopefully)
5. Single player queuing for ranked matchesnot a fan and I never liked having the idea of you being ranked for anything with 7 random members.
6. New commendations for new gear only obtainable through ranked matchesOnly if the gear is cosmetic only. Should not release any sort of advantage through ranking of any kind.
7. Arena style system for 4 players and below (ranked and regular)I would be down if they can get all classes to actually be within 5% of each other.
8. Large scale warzones for 16 players and aboveIf the engine could handle it I would love to see large scale battles, I mean there is a war going on after all.

Some good points but I don't agree with everything but cross server should happen and with a better match making system for regs and ranked would greatly improve PvP in this game.