Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frusterated with Level cap increase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Frusterated with Level cap increase
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kirorx
12.19.2012 , 07:29 AM | #1
Here is the thing. I have yet to play a game where level cap increases is a "thing" and there seems to be alot of people behind the idea.

Personally, this seems obnoxious (though, maybe i dont understand how it works)

SWTOR is HUGE on rolling Alts, i currently have 6 level 50 characters, I have been trying to get these toons all geared up over the last year but every 2 or 3 months there has been some drastic change to gear so its been more or less a pain keeping up. (this goes back to centuarian gear and BM Bags, so its mostly pvp gear).

So i have some concerns....

1) What happens to my gear, now?

Do i have to start over with grinding ranked comms over and over....frankly that gets old, i was enjoying my success in completing a war hero set with one of my toons like this month.
I want to pvp to pvp, not to grind all the time.

2) What happens to level 50 content now?

When my character gets to 55, do all the daily areas become low level content? Does this mean that i am stuck playing on Makeb all the time?

This is a not complaint, its something i dont understand the need for and maybe someone can explain it a bit better.

If this means just regrinding all gear again, then i will most likely just pick one character to progress with and retire the rest of them. Who, will be the big question...hmmm.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

atduncan
12.19.2012 , 07:34 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
Here is the thing. I have yet to play a game where level cap increases is a "thing" and there seems to be alot of people behind the idea.

Personally, this seems obnoxious (though, maybe i dont understand how it works)

SWTOR is HUGE on rolling Alts, i currently have 6 level 50 characters, I have been trying to get these toons all geared up over the last year but every 2 or 3 months there has been some drastic change to gear so its been more or less a pain keeping up. (this goes back to centuarian gear and BM Bags, so its mostly pvp gear).

So i have some concerns....

1) What happens to my gear, now?

Do i have to start over with grinding ranked comms over and over....frankly that gets old, i was enjoying my success in completing a war hero set with one of my toons like this month.
I want to pvp to pvp, not to grind all the time.

2) What happens to level 50 content now?

When my character gets to 55, do all the daily areas become low level content? Does this mean that i am stuck playing on Makeb all the time?

This is a not complaint, its something i dont understand the need for and maybe someone can explain it a bit better.

If this means just regrinding all gear again, then i will most likely just pick one character to progress with and retire the rest of them. Who, will be the big question...hmmm.
Supposedly they are gonna scale up dailys and other ops. Ex boarding party nightmare mode (as opposed to hard mode).

mothear
12.19.2012 , 07:39 AM | #3
Which means there is little point in subscribing unless you have the 'expansion', BW are certainly trying to alienate there subscriber base at every turn.

ArchArcher
12.19.2012 , 07:40 AM | #4
I'm more interested will some classes skill trees gonna be fixed. Maybe dps commando becomes viable for PvP !

pudim
12.19.2012 , 07:46 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchArcher View Post
I'm more interested will some classes skill trees gonna be fixed. Maybe dps commando becomes viable for PvP !
Ohh blissful ignorance
Keep dreaming man
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless

CelCawdro
12.19.2012 , 07:51 AM | #6
Anything anyone states is purely speculation based on trends from other games. Remember that. They may be indicative trends in the genre, but they are by no means conclusive for this particular entry.

ArchArcher
12.19.2012 , 08:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by pudim View Post
Ohh blissful ignorance
Keep dreaming man
At this time ignorance and positive thinking is the only thing that keeps me from going F2P.

Mazikeen
12.19.2012 , 08:31 AM | #8
The mere existence of this thread makes me think some of you have no clue what MMOs are about and/or have never played a MMO before. Level cap increases are the norm, not the exception. The reasons are always the same and the benefits and disadvantages are almost always the same. The issue of being 'required' to purchase the expansion is also not new. WoW has been doing this for half a decade, Everquest has been doing it for a decade, LotRO has been doing it for 3+ years, Guild Wars has expansions (though I don't know how required they are).

Be frustrated, fine, but get used to it because this is only the first of the expansions. If you're new to MMOs I suggest you do some research, if you're not then you need to quit whining over an industry standard.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

Segaki
12.19.2012 , 08:32 AM | #9
The idea is to keep you busy even if you have got 6 50s...

What makes you think you will only have 1 55 then?
You can alt your way to 55 with all of them, less appealing if no personal storyline I agree.

That being said, I do agree with the scepticism to the level cap increase.
I don't think it was a smart move in the first expansion, and I sincerely hope they do not just "raise" old content(or even gear), even though that would save them somehow in the endgame perspective.
That would be legacy system all over again.

I really hope they can get the 55 endgame rolling and don't come up with the same "people were blasting through it lightning fast" excuse again later.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
industry standard
While I do agree mostly with what you said, please you yourself take a look at the right industry, and not WOW as a comparison, you will find there is smarter ways.

pudim
12.19.2012 , 08:38 AM | #10
Oh endgame concept how I hate thee
Why is it so difficult for MMOGs to have a linear progression?

I dream for day a MMO don't forces you to level for weeks so than you can compete with other players, and then months later make your efforts become useless
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless