Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Altyrell
01.05.2013 , 12:00 AM | #581
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Rammstein View Post
I still stand by what I said, I don't feel that this is a proper expansion but more like a paid patch. I do like this game and will more than likely buy it to keep playing but it doesn't mean I can't be vocal and call EAware out on their bs. Like how the deadline for pre order bonus is the 7th yet they have given us next to no information on what is to be included besides leveling five levels...seems like a really shady business decision.
And what would it need to be considered a "proper" Expansion by your "definition"?

Marmerus
01.05.2013 , 01:52 AM | #582
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
And what would it need to be considered a "proper" Expansion by your "definition"?
Enough content to last one or two weeks minimum.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Goretzu
01.05.2013 , 04:33 AM | #583
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
I think 3-4 times the size of Belsavis would do it, something like Ruins of Kunark or Scars of Velious or Mines of Moria or BC.

Also maybe including something like legendary weapons or a new class etc.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Goretzu
01.05.2013 , 05:41 AM | #584
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post

Speaking about RotHC as an expansion, we already know that it will feature a planet of the size of the said Tatooine. How tightly it will be filled with content we have no idea. We already know that it will feature 5 more levels, but how much exp will be required we have no idea. We already know that it will NOT feature any new FP's, OP's, new difficulty modes and new PvP areas (state of the game #2).
So, in my opinion, we can safely assume that all we are going to get is a standard TOR planet excluding class storylines with one or two daily quest hubs on it. And maybe a couple of minor features like Cathar species on cartel market.

Given that it is about the size of Belsavis, I can't see how it can be much more tightly packed. For example planet of Belsavis's size that had twice the number of quests would feel like a sardine can IMO.

But we'll have to see.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Draloch
01.05.2013 , 06:45 AM | #585
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
According to torhead, there are around 220 quests on Tatooine total:
http://www.torhead.com/index.php/mis...g/1/subcatg/16
Here you can see my WoW character's Northrend quest achievements, which show the number of quests done in each subzone:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ement#96:14863
If you calculate them all, you'll get a number of 875 quests total.
Regarding Northrend, that's 875 quests for 1 faction, or double that for the entire expansion.

Regarding Tatooine, that includes 8 classes worth of class quests, which we know will not be included in Makeb. I did a post where I looked at Hoth http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=578851 and found that 28% of the quests were class quests.

If that percentage is true for Tatooine, then it has 158 non-class missions on it. Compare that to the 1750 quests in Northrend.

We might expect Makeb to be 9% the size of Northrend.

That's without even starting to have a discussion about new raids, dungeons, battlegrounds, open world pvp area (complete with daily pvp quests and a new pvp vehicle mechanic), flying mounts, a new class, a completly new crafting profession, a new phasing mechanic, and a major overhaul of each classes abilities (each of which were part of the World of Warcraft "expansion").

On the one hand, Northrend is a Blizzard product. World of Warcraft generates tens of millions of dollars every month. It's patently unfair to compare what they do to what Bioware, 13 months into managing its first MMO, does. On the other hand, calling a planet the size of Tatooine or Hoth an "expansion" is pretty incorrigible.

It is, in fact, incorrigible enough that it is the sole reason I have decided to unsubscribe from the game.

Goretzu
01.05.2013 , 09:41 AM | #586
Quote: Originally Posted by Draloch View Post
Regarding Northrend, that's 875 quests for 1 faction, or double that for the entire expansion.

Regarding Tatooine, that includes 8 classes worth of class quests, which we know will not be included in Makeb. I did a post where I looked at Hoth http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=578851 and found that 28% of the quests were class quests.

If that percentage is true for Tatooine, then it has 158 non-class missions on it. Compare that to the 1750 quests in Northrend.

That's without even starting to have a discussion about new raids, dungeons, battlegrounds, open world pvp area (complete with daily pvp quests and a new pvp vehicle mechanic), flying mounts, a new class, a completly new crafting profession, a new phasing mechanic, and a major overhaul of each classes abilities (each of which were part of the World of Warcraft "expansion").

On the one hand, Northrend is a Blizzard product. World of Warcraft generates tens of millions of dollars every month. It's patently unfair to compare what they do to what Bioware, 13 months into managing its first MMO, does. On the other hand, calling a planet the size of Tatooine or Hoth an "expansion" is pretty incorrigible.

It is, in fact, incorrigible enough that it is the sole reason I have decided to unsubscribe from the game.

It is, whilst I suspect I know the reason for their PR department choosing the language used, I think they'd have been better being a bit more honest and calling it an "adventure pack", or something along those lines.

fungihoujo
01.05.2013 , 09:48 AM | #587
Quote: Originally Posted by Durasturan View Post
If they aren't certain enough about what's going to be in the game to tell us, how do they know it's worth ten dollars? Did they just pick a number from thin air? Why would they put a product up for sale and allow us to order it if they don't know when it's coming out or even what it comes with?

Sounds like kind of a scam to me...
Then don't buy it.

/thread

fungihoujo
01.05.2013 , 10:05 AM | #588
Quote: Originally Posted by Draloch View Post

You won't be able to gain 5 levels with the number of quests they had on Tattooine- not at level 50 at least.

If you can hit level 55 from just questing, that'd be more than enough.

Also- Northrend was, what, 50 bucks when it came out? And a second xpac for a game with supposedly 10 times as many subs as this game has?

If this game has a quarter of the content of Northrend it'd be worth it- most games end up having smaller expansions that cost less and are released more often when they aren't doing well enough to develop a 50 dollar expansion to release all at once.

Also- many people prefer paying small amounts often for small xpacs over paying a large lump suddenly- I for one would prefer to have small, staggered xpacs. This is definitely much more than just a content update- we've never just gotten a planet and extra levels- at most a content update so far has been 5-10 daily quests, and the occasional FP, operation or WZ.

The title says one planet isn't an expansion- yet other than WoW almost every mmo I know of has released small expansions with small content updates- and dozens of people in this thread have even pointed them out.

I bought the DDO expansion recently- it was maybe a dozen quests total.

Durasturan
01.05.2013 , 10:08 AM | #589
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
Then don't buy it.

/thread
OMG, I was completely and absolutely dumbfounded as to how to handle this perplexing scenario. Without your timely, sage advice I likely would have been wallowing in indecisive ignorance for days, if not weeks. Thank you for pointing out this brilliant course of action, your wisdom is miraculous.

fungihoujo
01.05.2013 , 10:37 AM | #590
Quote: Originally Posted by Durasturan View Post
OMG, I was completely and absolutely dumbfounded as to how to handle this perplexing scenario. Without your timely, sage advice I likely would have been wallowing in indecisive ignorance for days, if not weeks. Thank you for pointing out this brilliant course of action, your wisdom is miraculous.
I'm willing to bet you'll still be doing that until the expansion's out.