Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Durasturan
01.04.2013 , 01:32 PM | #571
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
I see that and I top that with this http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

And later in the spring, our Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel! The team has been working for a long time on this, and is very excited to get it out to you. We have greatly expanded on the original concept with several new systems, 5 new levels, a big new planet, new storylines, new skills and abilities and more beyond that. Keep your eyes open for more information over the next several months.

Topic #1: Elder Game Content What is our intent for keeping level 50s occupied? Answer: Introducing new content and activities for the elder game is a top priority in the coming year. Weve got new Operations, new Flashpoints, new difficulty modes, new PvP areas, and of course, the entire Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel (which is targeted at our high level players). We have a plan mapped out for the upcoming year that will keep the elder game fresh and interesting for players of all types. Overall, were aiming to introduce a more diverse array of activities more stuff to do with your Companion, more challenges to tackle with groups, and more reasons for guilds to recruit. Well also be improving our itemization, introducing new incentives to revisit existing areas, and a lot of other exciting things that will be revealed as we move through the upcoming year.
Yeah, I guess that they make a specific point of mentioning the wz's fp's and op's seperately from RotHC it makes it pretty apparent that RotHC doesn't actually include new wz, fp, or ops and that those are completely separate things.

fungihoujo
01.04.2013 , 01:33 PM | #572
ITT- people freaking out about something that was said... then freaking out that people aren't saying more.

Irony is- you people that are wondering why BW doesn't tell us more and throwing tantrums whenever they do tell us something months in advance that happens to change are the exact reason BW is not telling us anything anymore.

They're going to wait until everything is 100% set in stone- no point telling you there's going to be a feature when it could end up being too buggy two months from now to release... since you'll just have a flip out.

Durasturan
01.04.2013 , 08:04 PM | #573
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
ITT- people freaking out about something that was said... then freaking out that people aren't saying more.

Irony is- you people that are wondering why BW doesn't tell us more and throwing tantrums whenever they do tell us something months in advance that happens to change are the exact reason BW is not telling us anything anymore.

They're going to wait until everything is 100% set in stone- no point telling you there's going to be a feature when it could end up being too buggy two months from now to release... since you'll just have a flip out.
If they aren't certain enough about what's going to be in the game to tell us, how do they know it's worth ten dollars? Did they just pick a number from thin air? Why would they put a product up for sale and allow us to order it if they don't know when it's coming out or even what it comes with?

Sounds like kind of a scam to me...

Polyneux
01.04.2013 , 08:40 PM | #574
Then don't freaking buy it.

If it seems like a scam to you.. if it seems like it's not enough... then don't pay the 10$. No one's pulling your leg. No one's forcing you to whip out that credit card or collect all your quarters and give them to mommy.

And don't give me any bull about "Waah I -have- to do these things in order to stay current and keep my lavels, lol" because by paying and playing, you've only guaranteed the experience you've already had, and the next month or so in advance. At any point you can decide "I don't like this" and walk away, NOTHING is keeping you here. Talk with your money not with your mouth and useless empty arguments. Don't like something? Don't buy it. You'll realize that a company with however many subscriptions cares about as little about your sub as they do your internet arguments on the forums. Because at the end of the day some grue is going to buy the 59.99 Cartel Coin pack and make up for the six people whining about it.

The expansion is coming and is going to be what it is regardless of the heming and hawing and the verbal wordplay you through at each other. I don't care how long you played WOW or LOTRO, the expansion is coming. Two things are going to happen.

1. You're going to buy the Expansion.

2. You're not going to buy the Expansion.

And then! (OH LAWDY) Only a few things are going to happen from that.;

You didn't buy the expansion, it freaking sucks. Congratulations, now you can sit on your little throne and sip brandy and talk about how "I told you so" because the expansion is horrible and all the little sheep that bought it are so dumb ololol I am god.

You didn't buy the expansion, and it's awesome. You missed the early time, but it's no big deal, since you're the LORD OF ALL MMOS it will only take you a day to complete anyway, right?

You buy the expansion, and it sucks. Oh well, I've wasted 10$ on worse things. If you've bought cartel coins, you've probably wasted your money. If you bought something with an "As Seen on TV" sticker, you've probably wasted your money. When you buy food from a restaurant you're practically wasting your money. Hell, your spending 14$ a month (some not all) to play a game when there are so many that you can play for free, so don't worry about it. You learn your lesson for next time and become one of the cynical arses posting on this forum about how a planet isn't an expansion.

You buy the expansion and it's awesome.. congratulations, your faith in a company that has made a game you bought and pay for is kept.

So get off your damned high horses and whatever false laurels you -think- you have because you've spent half your natural born life playing video games instead of doing something else. Calm down and wait for something more substantial.

And stop trying to pick apart the words of a bunch of code monkeys like they're T.S. Elliot.

Hell you guys are arguing over word play and I -KNOW- some of you have spent money on Google/Apple store apps with descriptions and dev logs written by people who must be five years old.

This is the real world, you should know by now how corporations make decisions. Act like you know how to live in it.

fluttersniper
01.04.2013 , 08:53 PM | #575
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Rammstein View Post
I'd imagine it's no larger than current planets such as Hoth or Tatooine.
In Biowares defense, Tatooine is a damn huge planet, but I see your issue weather I agree with it or not. But we know nothing of the new planet and what content will coke aside from tidbits. WoW has been doing fine with 5 level expansion packs and one new continent per pack. From what Ive played so far, Tatooine would be compareable to Northerend, and Im not done all its areas yet.

We should wait and see before complaining.

jakler
01.04.2013 , 09:04 PM | #576
Renaming a "Content Update" to an "Expansion"... Yes, it's a simple money-grab. That should go without saying.

Are you actually expecting different from the EAWare Experience?

mothear
01.04.2013 , 09:06 PM | #577
Quote: Originally Posted by fluttersniper View Post
In Biowares defense, Tatooine is a damn huge planet, but I see your issue weather I agree with it or not. But we know nothing of the new planet and what content will coke aside from tidbits. WoW has been doing fine with 5 level expansion packs and one new continent per pack. From what Ive played so far, Tatooine would be compareable to Northerend, and Im not done all its areas yet.

We should wait and see before complaining.
Is Tatooine the same size as Northrend, my perceptions are sometimes off but I suspect not, in fact no where near in my opinion. However if we for a moment believe that it may be the same size in total, remember you can only visit half of it as either faction whilst Northrend is open to both factions, therefore effectively twice the size even in the unlikely event that you are correct.

mothear
01.04.2013 , 09:08 PM | #578
In response to Polyneux

Nice diatribe there mate.

The problem as I see it is that an expansion is vitally important to an MMO, especially the first one. Why, well usually all updates are aimed at the end game level so if many people don't buy it then to be perfectly honest what is the point in them continuing to sub?

In WoW there are a small number of people who stick at certain expansions, because they prefer that content, however WoW has the population to be able to carry that off, unlike SWTOR.

If BW/EA mis-manage this expansion it is my opinion that a large expansion, including space/class quests and all the stuff that people are looking forward to will be years in the future, if ever.

Darth-Rammstein
01.04.2013 , 11:53 PM | #579
I still stand by what I said, I don't feel that this is a proper expansion but more like a paid patch. I do like this game and will more than likely buy it to keep playing but it doesn't mean I can't be vocal and call EAware out on their bs. Like how the deadline for pre order bonus is the 7th yet they have given us next to no information on what is to be included besides leveling five levels...seems like a really shady business decision.
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five ----> The Ebon Hawk
http://www.swtor.com/r/RC8V8V New and Old players welcome to use my referral for rewards, much appreciated.

Altyrell
01.04.2013 , 11:59 PM | #580
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
Is Tatooine the same size as Northrend, my perceptions are sometimes off but I suspect not, in fact no where near in my opinion. However if we for a moment believe that it may be the same size in total, remember you can only visit half of it as either faction whilst Northrend is open to both factions, therefore effectively twice the size even in the unlikely event that you are correct.
Actually you can go anywhere except for the other side's landing area and any place that is considered to be an exhaustion zone. So you can uncover the entire area of Tatooine but you can't physically go to Anchorhead if you are Imperial or Mos Ila if you are a Republic Player. Now while you can't just walk into certain areas that is behind Level 50 Factional NPC's protecting the areas, you are able to get their updates