Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Izorii
12.23.2012 , 03:01 PM | #471
I agree with the original post 1 planet is not an expansion. Also the game has failed to live upto expectations but all Mekabab is is more of the same. How much better whould it have been to annonce a third Faction the Hutts with Mekaab. Personaly I have high hopes for the story but fear the expansion will be a 2 week grind.

Anosa
12.23.2012 , 03:08 PM | #472
I am fine with paying 10 dollars for it if the cash goes to helping build up the game
Meow

BradTheImpaler
12.23.2012 , 03:18 PM | #473
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMalic View Post
How many of you have been with this game since Beta? I have followed all information since beta and they did mention an item of interest about expansions that EAware expressed but wasn't sure if they would do it. They said a year ago that they may make expansions a payable experience. If you look at past games an expansion for WoW in particular was like 30-40$ for a short amount of levels and limited content.

SWTOR has story and for a planet the size of say Alderaan with a new story ARC and new Adv. Class upgrades to even a new operation plus more than likely new Flashpoint 10$ isn't bad nor is 20$. The ones complaining are probably the same ones complaining about $15 a month for a subscription. So sit back and cry, but I will keep playing and not complain about petty things like $10 for an expansion. If you don't like the game then quit, and go back to your other $15 a month game of WoW and let us play a game we like.
This. Even after all the videos that were done showing different stages of the development process and such, with everything from artists to composers to voice actors, some people just refuse to appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into "just one planet".

I'm not a big fan of extra fees or anything and it would be great if they rewarded subscribers for Christmas/the 1-year anniversary with Makeb rather than asking people to pay more, but as far as whether it's enough, absolutely a whole new planet is great, especially for those of us who outside of the holidays haven't had the kind of time for playing that's required to see everything for the class stories. On top of starting an alt to get a piece of the new HK companion, that's plenty.
"The gullible prattle on about the triumph of truth and justice, of individualism and free will, as if such things were solid and real instead of simple subjective judgments."
- Supreme Leader Snoke

DaRoamer
12.23.2012 , 04:15 PM | #474
Quote: Originally Posted by Anosa View Post
I am fine with paying 10 dollars for it if the cash goes to helping build up the game
Well that's exactly the point. Likely Makeb was largely done by a separate team than the one that has been producing the content updates we've been getting, flashpoint, ops etc. I'm sure when they anticipated having millions of subs that they planned to be able to release updates of this size without extra cost.

As we know the sub number didn't live up to expectations. At that point it becomes about making sure there is budget to keep the people who worked on Makeb employed. Quite likely the profits earned for this release will determine the budgets allocated to do more content of that scale. I don't care what anyone claims about this being called a "content update", it's quite clearly larger any any update we've gotten so far.

For games like this, and any game with DLC, the cost of producing the DLC or expansion content has to be budgeted for. It doesn't matter if it's being done at the same time, the budgets are separate and if those people weren't working on that content they wouldn't be working.

So would be people be happy if BW said "you know what, we did call it a content update so it'll be free to everyone!" and then they fire all the staff that worked on it because they can't afford to keep them anymore?

If they released 4 packs the size of Makeb every year at $10 and at the same time gave us the same amount of free content they have in the first year I don't think anyone would be complaining. Hehe, who am I kidding? There's always complaining, but I for one would be thrilled and gladly fork over the extra $10 every 3 months for big story content on top of smaller updates.

mothear
12.23.2012 , 04:24 PM | #475
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
Well that's exactly the point. Likely Makeb was largely done by a separate team than the one that has been producing the content updates we've been getting, flashpoint, ops etc. I'm sure when they anticipated having millions of subs that they planned to be able to release updates of this size without extra cost.

As we know the sub number didn't live up to expectations. At that point it becomes about making sure there is budget to keep the people who worked on Makeb employed. Quite likely the profits earned for this release will determine the budgets allocated to do more content of that scale. I don't care what anyone claims about this being called a "content update", it's quite clearly larger any any update we've gotten so far.

For games like this, and any game with DLC, the cost of producing the DLC or expansion content has to be budgeted for. It doesn't matter if it's being done at the same time, the budgets are separate and if those people weren't working on that content they wouldn't be working.

So would be people be happy if BW said "you know what, we did call it a content update so it'll be free to everyone!" and then they fire all the staff that worked on it because they can't afford to keep them anymore?

If they released 4 packs the size of Makeb every year at $10 and at the same time gave us the same amount of free content they have in the first year I don't think anyone would be complaining. Hehe, who am I kidding? There's always complaining, but I for one would be thrilled and gladly fork over the extra $10 every 3 months for big story content on top of smaller updates.
I would be more than happy with a 'Major update the size of Makeb' every 3 months and paying for it, however what I will not buy is unclear content that is unknown as to its completeness simply to pad a quarterly set of figures (my opinion).

CrazyOldMystic
12.23.2012 , 04:33 PM | #476
There is a great deal of hate going on in this topic, and allot of pointless debate on if or if not this is a real expansion. The one thing we have learned raises a red flag for me. This being no class story. I have not heard or seen anything that says something special is coming with this expansion. It looks like its going to be a standard planet like the others.

I am tired of developers/companies destroying good games because a child comes on and complains its too hard. When said child should be focusing on school. Example world of warcraft everything I enjoyed in that game has been removed because it was too difficult. Just like swtor, world of warcraft is now also going the standard direction of just missions, leveling, dungeons, and raids. Yes swtor has its own name for these items. I am extremely tired of companies/devs lying to there customer base to make a buck, by making something look better then it really is. If this next expansion turns out to be a standard planet of swtor caliber then I am done with swtor. It will mean they are only interested in taking as much of peoples money as they can, for as little content as possible.

For now they will receive no money from me for a pre order, unless they show me something special, and out of the ordinary for this expansion.

MrGrizzly
12.23.2012 , 04:51 PM | #477
If you don't think the expansion is worth the price, don't buy it. If you want to wait until you have more information to make that decision that's okay too. Wait until spring and decide then.
MrGrizzly
http://www.torverse.com
The TORVerse Podcast

Eurynamous
12.23.2012 , 05:23 PM | #478
Like mentioned before, there are likely a few teams who work on content. There is probably a larger, 6 week dev team who has the sole job of add all the little things on the list of must do. Then there is likely the 6 month team who is dedicated to larger content, similar to the events we see, like the Gree or Space Zombie stuff we have seen. Then we probably have the year long cycle team who has the job of creating smaller expansions to tie players over and give them some new content. Then we have the off the cycle dev team who has no deadline but can't create larger full feature expansions and take the game forward in leaps and bounds. They would be working on projects like the new secret "space" project that we all caught wind of.

If this is the case, then we will be looking at an mmo that has a regular turn out for content like BioWare had said they will try to do. These things aren't always possible, as we all know, Murphy's law applies to everyone.

I do see Makeb being worth $10 or $20 because its just like any other DLC out there, it is something more, it is inexpensive and it will tie me over.

The rest of you who gripe about it, either need better paying jobs or to grow up and stop being so self entitled. Hold your breath and stomp your feet, I would let you pass out.
The Red Zone
Amadus Starcrusher
I will take your light, force you into darkness and give you true freedom and power

mothear
12.23.2012 , 05:31 PM | #479
Quote: Originally Posted by Eurynamous View Post
Like mentioned before, there are likely a few teams who work on content. There is probably a larger, 6 week dev team who has the sole job of add all the little things on the list of must do. Then there is likely the 6 month team who is dedicated to larger content, similar to the events we see, like the Gree or Space Zombie stuff we have seen. Then we probably have the year long cycle team who has the job of creating smaller expansions to tie players over and give them some new content. Then we have the off the cycle dev team who has no deadline but can't create larger full feature expansions and take the game forward in leaps and bounds. They would be working on projects like the new secret "space" project that we all caught wind of.

If this is the case, then we will be looking at an mmo that has a regular turn out for content like BioWare had said they will try to do. These things aren't always possible, as we all know, Murphy's law applies to everyone.

I do see Makeb being worth $10 or $20 because its just like any other DLC out there, it is something more, it is inexpensive and it will tie me over.

The rest of you who gripe about it, either need better paying jobs or to grow up and stop being so self entitled. Hold your breath and stomp your feet, I would let you pass out.
So you start with a whole load of perhaps, possibly, maybes then turn to insults, nice post.

DaRoamer
12.23.2012 , 05:34 PM | #480
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
I would be more than happy with a 'Major update the size of Makeb' every 3 months and paying for it, however what I will not buy is unclear content that is unknown as to its completeness simply to pad a quarterly set of figures (my opinion).
That's fair, I wouldn't doubt that that is part of it. I'm sure the devs are under pressure to show good financial gains before the end of the year. I don't think it's inherently evil or deceitful personally, it's a business. I save my indignation and outrage for things that matter, gaming isn't one of them. One of the reasons they probably haven't released more details is that all the details are probably not locked down yet, especially if we're not going to see this for 3-4 months. As things become finalized they'll release more info. As it is I feel what we know so far and knowing that not everything has been revealed already warrants the 10 dollars for me. If it helps their 3rd quarter bottom line then good for them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eurynamous View Post

Totally agree (except some of the last part). Basically what I was trying to say.