Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

aeterno
12.23.2012 , 04:32 AM | #421
We know it's gonna be at best the size of hoth/tat. How that relates it to WoW expansions I have no idea personally.

Judge Makeb by it's size do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For it's make or brake point is the quality of the content contained on said planet, and a questionable track record with that BW has.

Tommerbobby
12.23.2012 , 04:36 AM | #422
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
Judge Makeb by it's size do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For it's make or brake point is the quality of the content contained on said planet, and a questionable track record with that BW has.
QFT. I'm pretty new to the game, and although I am having fun, one of the biggest disappointments is how empty all of the planets and areas are. Its like they spent all this time making their planets huge, and filled them with...almost nothing. Its a massive turn-off having to go such long distances for a select few missions. I feel like I'm wasting my time just traveling. Putting my character on almost-constant auto-run just to get from mission to mission does not constitute a fun gaming experience.

And to compare a WoW expansion to this is a joke. Not only are any of the WoW continents many times larger than any planet in SWTOR, their expansions also include MUCH more content, balance improvements, and bug fixes.

Marmerus
12.23.2012 , 04:43 AM | #423
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
True, in most MMO's, an expansion covers at most an eighth of a planet.
Well since we all love to compare with WoW all I can say is that one expansion in WoW covers a lot of stuff.
Normal patches covers new areas, dungeons and raids. Lets hope we don't need to pay for patches.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

aeterno
12.23.2012 , 05:06 AM | #424
Quote: Originally Posted by Marmerus View Post
Well since we all love to compare with WoW all I can say is that one expansion in WoW covers a lot of stuff.
Normal patches covers new areas, dungeons and raids. Lets hope we don't need to pay for patches.
Comparisons with WoW are out the window at this stage. We got our wish, TOR is no longer a comparable product/pricing model.

Let's compare RotHC with comparable products. What does a typical LOTRO quest pack contain and what are it's price points?

mothear
12.23.2012 , 05:09 AM | #425
Comparisons with WoW are out the window at this stage. We got our wish, TOR is no longer a comparable product/pricing model.

Let's compare RotHC with comparable products. What does a typical LOTRO quest pack contain and what are it's price points?
I don't play LotRO but I believe that their new packs are bought with the cartel equivalent.

Shingara
12.23.2012 , 05:14 AM | #426

excuse me for pointing this out but my sub here costs exactly the same as my sub on wow so the pricing is identicle, in that sense the like for like can be done and the scaling is done on the content to price scenario for bang to the buck on quantity delievered. As it stands we have no class storry, we have no companion story, we know we are getting one new ability and that is it.

We know that the planet is the size of alderaan for example but in relative terms that means if following normal rules that one planet is split in 2 for the factions with one side taking a half each to lvl through as they love to seperate us, we have no word on new operations nor on flashpoints. we dont know but we can believe there will be no new warzone and we can assume there is no new crafting skill, race or class combined in this price as it is relativly easy to asume cathar will be in the cartel market.

We can assume that they will be re-adjusting the already exisitng heroic modes for 55 and more then likly setting future nightmare modes of operations to 55.

We have no word of any mini games or social enhancments within this but if they were in you can bet we would have heard about it to try and get us to purchase it.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Altyrell
12.23.2012 , 05:27 AM | #427
In regards to how big or small Mekab will end up looking, how about everyone just stop guessing and wait until we are, you know, able to actually go there and view for our own eyes.

aeterno
12.23.2012 , 05:30 AM | #428
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
excuse me for pointing this out but my sub here costs exactly the same as my sub on wow so the pricing is identicle, in that sense the like for like can be done and the scaling is done on the content to price scenario for bang to the buck on quantity delievered. As it stands we have no class storry, we have no companion story, we know we are getting one new ability and that is it.

We know that the planet is the size of alderaan for example but in relative terms that means if following normal rules that one planet is split in 2 for the factions with one side taking a half each to lvl through as they love to seperate us, we have no word on new operations nor on flashpoints. we dont know but we can believe there will be no new warzone and we can assume there is no new crafting skill, race or class combined in this price as it is relativly easy to asume cathar will be in the cartel market.

We can assume that they will be re-adjusting the already exisitng heroic modes for 55 and more then likly setting future nightmare modes of operations to 55.

We have no word of any mini games or social enhancments within this but if they were in you can bet we would have heard about it to try and get us to purchase it.
Afaik know lotro has a sub option as well. It's time to wake up and smell the coffe. The game wen't F2P. Bombed. Flopped. Did not perform to expectations. Take your pick. We as subscribers will not see the quality of service blizz provides cos unlike blizz BW doesnt have a game that makes them 100s of millions a quarter to finance development. A subscription in a f2p title ammounts to a discount on all/most cash market unlocks purchased every month. That is the reality of our situation. It is dire.

Personally I'll be ecstatic if they ever decide to produce a proper boxed 60$ expansion that will perhaps advance class stories. But at this stage I'm worried if we'll even get anything makeb-like AFTER makeb, nvm get it for free like wow does.

Shingara
12.23.2012 , 05:36 AM | #429
Afaik know lotro has a sub option as well. It's time to wake up and smell the coffe. The game wen't F2P. Bombed. Flopped. Did not perform to expectations. Take your pick. We as subscribers will not see the quality of service blizz provides cos unlike blizz BW doesnt have a game that makes them 100s of millions a quarter to finance development. A subscription in a f2p title ammounts to a discount on all/most cash market unlocks purchased every month. That is the reality of our situation. It is dire.

Personally I'll be ecstatic if they ever decide to produce a proper boxed 60$ expansion that will perhaps advance class stories. But at this stage I'm worried if we'll even get anything makeb-like AFTER makeb, nvm get it for free like wow does.
Ow right now i understand you, you want us to compare it to a game that tanked and not a game that offers good quality to its subscribers. now i understand perfectly.

BTW this game is far from f2p, its more fremium forcing you to sub. And this game has so far not made losses, it went f2p simply to bring in more cash and not out of necesity. As for what a subscription offers in a f2p game it better offer the exact same services that any mmo sub does or it will lose customers who are constant subscribers and they should know that.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

CrazyOldMystic
12.23.2012 , 06:01 AM | #430
"To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!"

It sounds nice but are these underground caverns generic, or are they going to be something fun like the Myydril Caverns in swg. That was one big cave network, it was fun, and most importantly you could get lost which lead to a adventure feel to it. How much of this terrain could a rper use? When I came to swtor, one thing I found disappointing was all the good areas were full of npcs, or they were phased. In swg there was good areas you could use, that were void of npcs.