Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu
12.21.2012 , 05:13 PM | #331
I have MOP and I have a year game card to wow (although I admit I got it for free )

What do I spend more time playing? SWTOR. So in my personal experience, I find more value in SWTOR.

If Makeb turns out to be a complete disappointment, then they'll have to work harder to get people to pay for content in the future. At this point I'm ok with hedging my bet with $10 - I'm used to it, one of my favorite bands always puts their new album up for pre-order before they even record it (in return people get their names in the credits). They've done this since 1997, and when they tried to NOT do it, people actually got upset. The difference is that they have a whole lot more trust from their audience than Bioware does right now. If their next CD was just plain awful I probably wouldn't pre-order any more, lol.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

dscount
12.21.2012 , 05:24 PM | #332
I'd like a little more information that is solid from BW before dropping cash on the table.

The last few "I trust you BW/EA" moments I've had can be directly tied to dissapointment. Not willing to give them anymore slack at this point and would like to see them step up and "show the actual product, not the SW hype to customers".

A solid LIST of what is being released (Understanding some things can change, but it should be equal or close to what is on the list). I know it's a catch 22 for them, but I'm willing to BET they have this list based on what is already being posted in the forums.
Pointing out broken 16m SM Loot since 12/04 [Link1] & 12/11 [Link2] & 12/16 [Link3]
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

I'm not asking for much.... maybe some Cake too...

Kani_Warysia
12.21.2012 , 05:25 PM | #333
Quote: Originally Posted by Durasturan View Post
MoP is only 19.99 right now and includes 3 raids 6 dungeons 7 zones 2 new Battle Grounds 2 new arenas a new class a new race, player housing, pet battles, revamped lower level dungeon and raid content new mounts new tiers of gear new story and five new levels, new abilities and new tiers of gear for both pve and pvp

RotHC will beither 9.99 or 19.99 and includes five new levels and one new planet and repurposed abilities
Compare release prices.... a 1990s car is cheaper than a 2012 model too.... doesn't mean the former is a better deal.

TalkingDinosaur
12.21.2012 , 05:26 PM | #334
Quote: Originally Posted by -Me- View Post
Yet they put pre-oder up without telling us any of that. Sorry but it kinda feels like, what do they NOT want to tell us?
Because they totally don't do the same thing with WoW OR every other game currently in existence?
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

TalkingDinosaur
12.21.2012 , 05:29 PM | #335
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
Actually, WoW's latest Expansion costs $40+
Are for real? I've distanced myself from WoW for a while now and it was pretty hard to even pull up a price for the expansions, but seriously $40+? The fact that people still pay money for that game and spend $40 on expansions makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer right now.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

mcdoogle
12.21.2012 , 05:32 PM | #336
Quote: Originally Posted by TalkingDinosaur View Post
Difference:

SWTOR - $10 ($20 if your F2P), One zone, no released content on raids, tier gear, ect but you better know you'll see the Cartel Market involved in it, lack of fourth pillar (what they sold the game on). Oh and lets not mention that this wasn't even suppose to be a expansion, it was suppose to be a content upgrade that was going to be free until the Hickman effect.

WoW - $30, 7 zones, raids, free content patches, new class, new race, and everything else that you expect with a REAL AAA MMO.
Fixed.

mcdoogle
12.21.2012 , 05:33 PM | #337
Are for real? I've distanced myself from WoW for a while now and it was pretty hard to even pull up a price for the expansions, but seriously $40+? The fact that people still pay money for that game and spend $40 on expansions makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer right now.
I recently bought it for $30 and I believe back on cyber Monday it was $20.

Durasturan
12.21.2012 , 05:34 PM | #338
Quote: Originally Posted by Kani_Warysia View Post
Compare release prices.... a 1990s car is cheaper than a 2012 model too.... doesn't mean the former is a better deal.
Release prices are irrelevent. The reason a car's price goes down is because of wear and tear. The exact opposite is true with MoP the value only goes up as MORE content is added.
MoP has 3 raids, 6 Dungeons, 7 zones, a new class, a new race, a bunch of new story story and new tier of gear for PVP and PVE, two new battle grounds two new arenas player farms pet battles a revamped talent system, new skills and abilities and 5 new levels all for $20

Swtor RotHC comes with a new planet and five levels. All for $20.

It's all about what you can buy RIGHT NOW. People love to say things like "Well when WoW first came out blah blah blah. That kind of reasoning wasn't able to keep 2 million people from quitting the game. Saying "compared to a game that came out 7 years ago look at all these bells and whisltes it has" and "compared to what that other game cost 3 months ago it's a good deal" might make sense to some people.

But not to consumers price comparing right here and now. You want to attract new consumers? You want to bring back subscribers? You have to beat the competition, you can't beat what they were doing 3 months ago or 7 years ago, you have to beat them here and now, in the market. It's brutal and it may not be fair, but that's business. If you want to see this game suceed, SWTOR needs to be much more competitive and much more attractive.

Durasturan
12.21.2012 , 05:35 PM | #339
No, it's not $40+ he made that up. Go look on amazon. I've linked it multiple times, it costs $20.

Kani_Warysia
12.21.2012 , 05:38 PM | #340
Quote: Originally Posted by Durasturan View Post
Release prices are irrelevent.
It is extremely important for an actual, meaningful discussion on this topic. MoP was $39.99 at release. Pretending it wasn't doesn't move the discussion in your favor... it highlights a disregard for reality.