Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SojournerNC
12.19.2012 , 04:22 PM | #161
Its a micro expansion. Similar to what everyone does. Halo, BF3, etc...when they release mappacks for those it is only 4 maps and some other additions. Compared to classic games of the genre this is a tiny amount, yet people don't raise a fuss. It is very much a micro mappack. A full mappack would be say for example, if all the BF3 packs were combined into one. That is literally what we used to get years ago in UT99 and we got it for free.

What you are looking at here in TOR is a version of this except for an MMO. It is a micro expansion and really it should be advertised as such. If BW charged more than $20 you'd have a mass exodus from the game. Giving preorders a 50% discount is much appreciated. To me it is a no brainer. I'd rather spend money on stuff like this than Cartel Market.
The Order of El Elyon
The #1 guild of professional Kinrath pup face scrunchers...Revan approved!!

Roalmo
12.19.2012 , 04:26 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by SojournerNC View Post
.... Giving preorders a 50% discount is much appreciated. To me it is a no brainer. I'd rather spend money on stuff like this than Cartel Market.
Hmmm, is that the way you read it? I read it that for subbers it would cost 10 no matter when you buy it, but if you buy it now you get early access. Wonder who's right?

NasherUK
12.19.2012 , 04:27 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by SojournerNC View Post
Its a micro expansion. Similar to what everyone does. Halo, BF3, etc...when they release mappacks for those it is only 4 maps and some other additions. Compared to classic games of the genre this is a tiny amount, yet people don't raise a fuss. It is very much a micro mappack. A full mappack would be say for example, if all the BF3 packs were combined into one. That is literally what we used to get years ago in UT99 and we got it for free.
Yes and they don't allow player made maps so that they can charge ridiculous prices for a few mediocre maps that they whipped up in an afternoon. The gaming industry is in a sad state compared to how it was. It's now ruled by fatcats who only care about money and have no interest in the subject. They don't allow creativity and only re-hash old ideas :/

Games from the 90s and early 00 stuck around so long because they were open, encouraged modding and the people making them were gamers themselves. I remember UT99 when you could download map packs with something like 50+ maps in them, for free.

SithxGhost
12.19.2012 , 04:45 PM | #164
Are we still able to play the game if we decide not to buy the expansion?

Slugamaniac
12.19.2012 , 04:47 PM | #165
/crosses fingers for a new operation.
The Last Centurions - The Madhi Legacy - The Harbinger
Slugfest Slugtrooper Slugconsular Slackfest Slugshadow Slugfeast
Slugagent Slugwarrior Slughunter Slugsorcerer Slugassassin Slackmeister

TheSeventhJedi
12.19.2012 , 04:50 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!
No! NO! You stop it right there! I got them all, for the love of God, don't make me do more! STOP! Stop it right now I say!
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

grombrinda
12.19.2012 , 04:56 PM | #167
Oh boy under ground caverns = more elevators....what is up with that??
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

chuixupu
12.19.2012 , 05:08 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by SithxGhost View Post
Are we still able to play the game if we decide not to buy the expansion?
Yes, but you most likely won't have access to Makeb.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Eldriq
12.19.2012 , 05:21 PM | #169
Overall pretty damn happy with this we just got 1.6 which was awesome as I pvp a lot. Now I can see a new planet on the horizon. The whole datacron thing is upsetting as hate those damn things especially the +10 what a pain in the *** to get. But to see a new world, get some new levels and have some new skills not bad at all and really 10 bucks for the amount of time I spend on this game? I can dig it.
El'drik - Sorcerer- War Hero - Harbinger Server Care Bear/White Knight
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. Friedrich Nietzsche

Kalfear
12.19.2012 , 05:24 PM | #170
edit .
In regards to lessening F2P and Preferred restrictions
In GAMING, as in LIFE,
You get what you pay for
No game restriction is so dire that $15.00/month will not eliminate it