Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguards Tanks: What you never expected

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Vanguards Tanks: What you never expected

NickEwok
12.18.2012 , 11:47 AM | #1
(Still in testing and remains a theory until proven efficient)

For the longest time Vanguard tanks have been rendered "useless" in pvp due to our tanking tree specializing in shield which is all but obsolete in PvP. However, what most people don't know is we have been doing it all wrong.

Vanguards Tanks specialize in 3 things:

1. Overall Flat damage mitigation

2. Highest HP's and Armor rating in the game

3. Highest Damage output for Tank class in PvP

All the talents we use for flat mitigation and armor are within the first 2-3 tears of talents. However, with a 41 point talent tree, what has been overlooked for the longest time is how "tanky" (real tanky) the Tactics tree is, and the high Yellow damage it has within melee range: Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce to you, the "Soulguard" build:

13/28/0

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/v...8-1d7fc6ee92-0

This build focuses on moderatley high damage output, while having the total MAXIMUM increase in flat/aoe damage mitigation: Some numbers

6 second CD on interrupt

76% Armor increase

20% Accuracy debuff for ranged and melee attacks

7% (+5%) while com-busted overall damage mitigation (cannot reach the additional 2% but worth it)

30% Flat AOE damage mitigation, which is increased to %60 percent if stunned or immobilized

25% Flat damage mitigation from Reactive shield

= Meaning a consistent 62%-97% reduction in Force leap/smash and infinite potential in flat damage mitigation

All damage in the Tactics Tree does "NOT" require the High energy cell to be active, meaning Gut, all elemental attacks, and High impact bolt will be utilized to its FULL potential while tanking, allowing for effective close combat damage.

This build not only grabs all the ARMOR bonuses, ENDURANCE bonuses, and FLAT DMG MITIGATION bonuses from every tree, but is still grabbing EVERY vital tanking talent which does not use shield, and almost an entire DPS tree with full capability, and capitalizes on every strong point of the vanguard class while using the tanking cell (stance)

Please review and give detailed feedback, still debating gear types and set up for maximum capability
Soultiger
Jedi Shadow PvP
The Watchmen
Jedi Covenant :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYc-Z32VCY

Larzi
12.18.2012 , 11:51 AM | #2
As a Vanguard since launch i can not aggree with you on this point. While clever and interesting.

If you want to tank, spec tank, there is no secret formula. In my humble opinion of course.

"If somethings worth doing, its worth doing right"
-H. Thompson

Who cares bout dps as a tank, if you do then you aint a tank.

sanchito
12.18.2012 , 11:53 AM | #3
I'm not sure you can call it a tank if it doesn't have guard. Or are you switching between ion and high energy cell during the games or something?

Larzi
12.18.2012 , 11:56 AM | #4
I should add, there is no right way to play any class, so if this build works for your style then thats awesome.

As a tank i believe the only realistic dmg medals are the 75kdmg and the 2.5k hit (kinda rare unless you have gear or a lightsaber) Sure the 300k dmg medal is possible, but in my experience it takes healers, a long game and lots of AoEs.

NickEwok
12.18.2012 , 11:58 AM | #5
This build is meant to perform in PvP only, and be effective in 1.6 as a result of increase sent/mars jug/guardian smashes.

The Vanguard tank is, NOT viable in PvP because almost the entire tree is based on shield/abosrb. Also you DO use your tank cell which enables you to have guard. Read above.

The DPS capabilty overall will add to your TTK (Time to Kill) as you will not only have ALL the benefits of the tank class/stance, but be able to actually do damage to your target. In the sense of doing damage as a tank, I agree it should not be concerned with, but with this build you will literally have FULL capability of both, without having to sacrifice, in short a High mitigation tank who can also do high damage has been unheard of until now, which if you remember is why shadows have been nerfed time and time again.
Soultiger
Jedi Shadow PvP
The Watchmen

AlyxDinas
12.18.2012 , 12:01 PM | #6
I am doing more than fair with my tank through the magical joy of augments. Both in terms of damage and survival.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

NickEwok
12.18.2012 , 12:03 PM | #7
Also Ion will and should be used through this specs entirety.
Soultiger
Jedi Shadow PvP
The Watchmen

-Mythix-
12.18.2012 , 12:04 PM | #8
What is it with Vanguards always naming their specs?

Soulguard sounds like an 80's deodorant, almost awesome.

NickEwok
12.18.2012 , 12:07 PM | #9
Just gives it exclusivity is all.
Soultiger
Jedi Shadow PvP
The Watchmen

rob_y
12.18.2012 , 12:09 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by NickEwok View Post
Also you DO use your tank cell which enables you to have guard. Read above.
I have never played a Vanguard, but why did you spec "Battlefield Training" if you're going to be in Ion Cell the whole time? You could go with "Tactical Tools" or "Containment Tactics" instead.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five