Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gamasutra: The Burning of Star Wars - The Old Republic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gamasutra: The Burning of Star Wars - The Old Republic

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
12.19.2012 , 07:20 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
And that's where you're wrong.
While I guess some people would try to hide the game's weaknesses (although, I really don't see how anyone besides Bioware or EA would profit from that), there's also a big portion of "us" that are not hiding its issues; they just don't affect us to the point of making us dislike the game. Sure, a lot of things could be different and I can guarantee you that if you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different answers, ranging from sitting in chairs (lol) to new content.

And just like those people that try to hide its issues, I think we can safely say that a big portion of those that post about them are just doing it exactly because they want to see the game fail.



That still doesn't make a journalist's opinion important, though.
Your or my opinion is much more important because...you know...we're actually paying for it unlike a journalist who's merely echoing one side of the story and is much more likely to jump on the "love/hate" bandwagon just because it sells.
I don't think we can safely say that at all, and I also think the desire to silence dissent is more wishful than realistic.

I often wonder why some folks seem to be so put off by criticism. As I have said many times, this is just a game, not a religion or political party. It's a bit odd to defend the game so desperately against even the most reasonable critique.

Growth is painful. At this point in time this game needs frank harsh criticism IMO much more than glad handing. Only by making critical changes will this game continue to thrive and remain healthy.

GillianS's Avatar


GillianS
12.19.2012 , 07:52 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by sang View Post
The author does bring up some relevant points, but you can't take this article at face value when the author classifies Operations as 20-man raids. Amateur mistake made by someone who does not fully understand everything about the game.
molehill meet mountain, mountain meet molehill

GillianS's Avatar


GillianS
12.19.2012 , 05:25 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by kamed View Post
I'm sick and tired of all those fantasy setting MMORPGs and I want to wield a light saber =P
Star Wars is fantasy, maybe you meant you were tired of Tolkien/DnD theme games?

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
12.19.2012 , 05:57 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Why is this article important?
No, seriously, why?
People want other people to agree with them, so an angry article in a well-known mmo site is just what certain people want..
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

uaintjak's Avatar


uaintjak
12.19.2012 , 06:13 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
People want other people to agree with them, so an angry article in a well-known mmo site is just what certain people want..
Then where are all the "Great job SWTOR!" articles?

FenraelWolfmien's Avatar


FenraelWolfmien
12.19.2012 , 06:24 PM | #126
So he wants to play unlimited warzones, unlimited operations, unlimited space missions and unlimited group flashpoints for at least two characters. If you are investing that much time into the game then you sub for 15 bucks. If you aren't investing that much time in the game and just like to PVP you buy a weekly unlimited wz pass.

This is an incredibly stupid article. If I want to ride the bus every day for a year I buy a bus pass, I don't spend the daily fee every day. Unless I'm an idiot like the author of this article.

Rogoo's Avatar


Rogoo
12.19.2012 , 06:43 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by uaintjak View Post
Then where are all the "Great job SWTOR!" articles?
There are none. Simply because they did a terrible job, and everyone sees it.

It is called a Hickman effect.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Royox's Avatar


Royox
12.19.2012 , 07:03 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post

SWTOR pve end is not diferent from WOW pve end...and I don't see WoW players complaining.

We have 4 Operations with 3 dificulty modes. What do ppl want? "Go fishing"?

AlyxDinas's Avatar


AlyxDinas
12.19.2012 , 07:07 PM | #129
/shrug. It doesn't really affect me. TOR's got issues and figuring out what is proper and what isn't for the FTP is one of them. This is because plenty of competing games are B2P or slowly adopting a BTP option. There's a few other glaring issues with the game as well. That said, I don't share the writer's general conclusion because it seems like he's basing much more on what consultants initially projected the game to hold at compared to where it is and and what is profitable.

This is one of the reasons that analyst and such tend to fall short of the mark, for the record. They hinge points on expectations rather than reality. And the reality is that while TOR is not where people probably thought it could be, it certainly maintains market viability. So saying "It could have been x.." is sort of meaningless when what it is now still is sufficiently competitive in the market.

Now, that sounds like a cynical assessment of things but it's the truth. The bottom line is viability and competition in the market. People are paying for TOR, people are dishing out for micro-transactions in game. The same way that people actually do pay real money for Gems in GW2 or how people pay for individual pieces of content in LOTRO.

Compare buying, say, Section X access to buying quest access in Forochel. It's not quite equivalent but the principle is generally the same. The major issue with the FTP model in TOR and the Cartel Market, right now, is price for content. It's out of tune. That's the real issue.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
12.19.2012 , 07:30 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I don't think we can safely say that at all, and I also think the desire to silence dissent is more wishful than realistic.

I often wonder why some folks seem to be so put off by criticism. As I have said many times, this is just a game, not a religion or political party. It's a bit odd to defend the game so desperately against even the most reasonable critique.

Growth is painful. At this point in time this game needs frank harsh criticism IMO much more than glad handing. Only by making critical changes will this game continue to thrive and remain healthy.
Then we must be reading different forums. Because in this one people are either raging over every little thing or simply demand everything for free.

I find what you're wondering about interesting. In fact I find it equally interesting to, say, why people still pay or even play for free a game they do not enjoy. I simply do not get that and I'd love for someone to explain it to me.

No matter how much you love a game, or how much you'd want to love a game but just can't, if you're not having fun you shouldn't be playing it. End of story. I get people wanting it to get better. I do not get people who want it to become GW2 or WoW or TSW or any other MMO. It's a different game and some of us like it exactly because it's none of the previously mentioned MMOs.

As you said yourself, it's neither a religion nor a political party where you have to accept certain things you don't particularly agree with or even downright disagree with because of something bigger - a God, an idea. Whereas this allows for a much bigger room for criticism, it also means something else: you can walk away from it and your life will be exactly the same as it was before. You won't have to fins a new religion nor change your views about politics.

This is a product, made by a company that wants to make as much money as possible from it. And the only reason anyone should "buy" and keep paying for this product is purely for entertainment purposes - aka having fun. If someone is not having fun, why not just walk away?

Growth through constructive criticism is extremely important. However, criticism through constant whining about every single thing that's not exactly like I or you think it should be and rage-quit threats is never constructive. You know what would get EA's attention? Not buying their Cartel Points and most importantly not paying for a subscription. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Just for the record, it was never my intention to try to "silence dissent". I love arguing. In fact, if 80% of the people here were not bashing the game, I'd probably be pointing out its faults myself. But as it is now, this forum is a place were people rarely post anything that can be considered "constructive". It's mostly full of vile comments about everything and anything Bioware/EA does. And while some may be right I think you should reconsider how many of those really do care about the game and are not just griefers seeking attention.