Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gamasutra: The Burning of Star Wars - The Old Republic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gamasutra: The Burning of Star Wars - The Old Republic

Urael
12.17.2012 , 10:42 AM | #1
Original Article.

@Massively.

Quote:
"SWTOR's 'end-game' was anemic at best, especially compared to the well-received storyline content." Ludgate writes. "Surprise, surprise; most of the people who paid for the game didn't continue subscribing after playing through the story once or twice. Between the annoying grind and the recycled content -- another one of those annoying MMORPG tropes -- the game's single player content ended up being even less fun than a normal single player game, never mind the subscription fee to keep replaying it."
Discuss!

Urael
12.17.2012 , 10:49 AM | #2
Quote:
The one major free thing in all of SWTOR's F2P is the single player storyline. If you're happy doing nothing but the storyline in a fairly single-player-esque and slow, limited, grindy fashion, and you don't mind not getting any quest rewards (you have to subscribe for those), you really don't need to spend a cent on SWTOR. And that single player story is probably SWTOR's most redeeming feature.

So here's the conundrum. Droves of people are going to download SWTOR for free, connect to the servers for free, play through the story for free, and quit (for free). BioWare doesn't just get nothing from these F2P players, but in fact pays for all that bandwidth so the F2P player can do it on the servers. It'd actually make more sense for BioWare to release an offline, stand-alone version of SWTOR on The Pirate Bay then to build its online F2P MMORPG around that model.
^This.

Quote:
So, on the one hand, BioWare is trying to create an F2P experience so horrifically bad that it brutally coerces players into subscribing, but on the other hand they actively sabotage the very thing subscribers wanted in order to remain subscribers.
^And This.

Echoing my comments on these forums.

TUXs
12.17.2012 , 11:01 AM | #3
I think it was a very honest article. Bioware seems ignorant of the games faults, the author isn't. There's a reason 2million+ people bought the game, only to quit.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

urborror
12.17.2012 , 11:04 AM | #4
I think they'll coerce a good number of people into subscribing.

I just re-subbed after playing it for a grotesque amount of time for 3 months last year. Looking at the F2P restrictions, and considering how much time even a single SP campaign involves, $15 is a no-brainer, unless you're 12 and your Mom won't give you the money.

I can't promise a long subscription, but every $15 they get from a month's sub is roughly equivalent to a $60 box game retail sale, as I understand the economics.

The game didn't capture the insane WoW subscriber base, but how many people are actively playing through the ME3 campaign right now? 200,000? I could write a mean article about "Red Dead Redemption," if I wanted, which I stopped playing after 10 hours.

I stopped playing TOR after hundreds(!) of hours or something absolutely disgusting (which is why I quit.) These sniping articles are bogus, to me.

Lium
12.17.2012 , 11:04 AM | #5
Brutal.

sstanks
12.17.2012 , 11:04 AM | #6
old article is old

CosmicKat
12.17.2012 , 11:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
^This.

^And This.

Echoing my comments on these forums.
You forgot to mention the dizzy logic behind their contention that the $15 subscription fee was too high to retain subscribers... so therefore their solution to that problem is to implement a system that simultaneously lessens the percieved value to subscribers while trying to squeeze more money from us. Genius I say!

Urael
12.17.2012 , 11:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by urborror View Post
I think they'll coerce a good number of people into subscribing.

I just re-subbed after playing it for a grotesque amount of time for 3 months last year. Looking at the F2P restrictions, and considering how much time even a single SP campaign involves, $15 is a no-brainer, unless you're 12 and your Mom won't give you the money.

I can't promise a long subscription, but every $15 they get from a month's sub is roughly equivalent to a $60 box game retail sale, as I understand the economics.

The game didn't capture the insane WoW subscriber base, but how many people are actively playing through the ME3 campaign right now? 200,000? I could write a mean article about "Red Dead Redemption," if I wanted, which I stopped playing after 10 hours.

I stopped playing TOR after hundreds(!) of hours or something absolutely disgusting (which is why I quit.) These sniping articles are bogus, to me.
Your comments read as if you didn't read the whole article. I agree with what TUXs said. This article is an honest look at the State of SWTOR. If EAware is smart they will read it, head it, and make the changes suggested. The author did give his thoughts on how to fix SWTORs Freemium model. The article wasn't a "snipe shot".

Lium
12.17.2012 , 11:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
old article is old
It's dated December 14, 2012. Am I missing something here?

Addaib
12.17.2012 , 11:09 AM | #10
I don't know.... complaining about a MMO's lack of end game is a bit of a truism. Its like complaining that TV networks eventually end up showing re-runs. And I'm really not sure how well even the ones that are or were supposedly good at this really are. (Basically how much time out of the gate do they need to develope it?) . Also so much of the "end game" can simply get realm vs. realm. And I have to say, some of my most boring time I've had gaming in a MMO was with my guidlies in Dark Age waiting to lay ambush for the other side....... I actually logged out and claimed it was a disconnect just to escape the boredom on at least one occasion.