Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

V sync Makes a World of Difference for Me

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
V sync Makes a World of Difference for Me

Fornix
12.17.2012 , 05:42 AM | #11
Try the Cooler Master NotePal U3, it's a cooling pad designed for larger laptops (19") in mind.
Member of <Helix>

Toweleeeie
12.17.2012 , 05:43 AM | #12
Not trolling lol

You will need someone to rotate ice packs if you cant get out of bed. I think it could work though
Can I has more Sandbox?

OKandrew
12.17.2012 , 05:49 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Toweleeeie View Post
Not trolling lol

You will need someone to rotate ice packs if you cant get out of bed. I think it could work though
MOM! Bathroom!

morfius
12.17.2012 , 05:54 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OKandrew View Post
I don't know if this has been talked about before, but I have been without this since launch and feel like an idiot. My game plays completely different now. I had no idea it was affecting me this much. My gcd's properly show when they come off. My attacks register when i click them. My animations and distancing is now correct. Thus, making my pvp experience 100% better. I can honestly say, I think this is the single biggest issue I've had with the game that could be fixed with such a small thing. I love it.

With good, there is always bad... Unfortunately, after looking over the internet for a little bit, I can confirm that vsync was keeping my laptop from overheating. I have never had an issue before, until I turned off vsync. Aside from the obvious responses of just getting a better laptop or a desktop (which is not an option for me right now financially). what else can I do to maybe curb how often it over heat. Seems it's happening every couple hours or so. I have a 19 1/2 laptop, so a cooling fan for my size laptop seems to be out of the question, or atleast I have yet to find one after some pretty extensive searching.

Thanks for any help that can be given.
If you overclock - return to standard frequencies or even 5% bellow them...
Lower your graphic details (mostly shadows - off, shader complexity - low / very low) ... this will reduce load on GPU therefore heat.
Go to service to clean your laptop (or do it yourself if you can) - they collect so much dust... I had seen 1 year one so filled than was not able to work more than 15 minutes (without gaming).
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Zekim
12.17.2012 , 06:15 AM | #15
Sometimes the completely outlandish ideas are the best. Sorry about the back issue. Is there any way you could have someone construct a foam spacer for a fan? This would allow the air from a fan to channel directly at the base of the laptop?

SpearlikeAtom
12.17.2012 , 06:33 AM | #16
I don't know if this has been talked about before, but I have been without this since launch and feel like an idiot. My game plays completely different now. I had no idea it was affecting me this much. My gcd's properly show when they come off. My attacks register when i click them. My animations and distancing is now correct. Thus, making my pvp experience 100% better. I can honestly say, I think this is the single biggest issue I've had with the game that could be fixed with such a small thing. I love it.

With good, there is always bad... Unfortunately, after looking over the internet for a little bit, I can confirm that vsync was keeping my laptop from overheating. I have never had an issue before, until I turned off vsync. Aside from the obvious responses of just getting a better laptop or a desktop (which is not an option for me right now financially). what else can I do to maybe curb how often it over heat. Seems it's happening every couple hours or so. I have a 19 1/2 laptop, so a cooling fan for my size laptop seems to be out of the question, or atleast I have yet to find one after some pretty extensive searching.

Thanks for any help that can be given.
I have a 19" also and this is the one that I use, works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

BounceDK
12.17.2012 , 06:47 AM | #17
You can manually set the refresh rate in the same spot where you turn on or off vsync. I imagine your laptop was running at 30fps with vsync enabled, so select 30 or 40 as your refresh rate and it should be much cooler. You'll still see tearing though.

However given how buggy this game is, it may not do a thing at all - In which case you can download an app that can lower the refresh rate which is also fantastic for older games where you framerate is usually above 500 and your gpu will get very toasty. Google MSI Afterburner.

I use it to lower the framerate to 60 at all times as I'm no fan of vsync and all the issues it brings in some games.

Injudicator
12.17.2012 , 07:10 AM | #18
MOM! Bathroom!
LOL at the Southpark Episode (best episode evar)

Do you live in a place with an IKEA? They sell breakfast in bed foldable trays, keeps my laptop nice and cooled.

morfius
12.17.2012 , 08:41 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Injudicator View Post
LOL at the Southpark Episode (best episode evar)

Do you live in a place with an IKEA? They sell breakfast in bed foldable trays, keeps my laptop nice and cooled.
IKEA sells very good passive laptop pads.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Hambunctious
12.17.2012 , 09:52 AM | #20
Everyone is a little different, but most people can't see frame flicker above 50fps, and many can't see any at 40fps. Anything above 60fps really is not needed, and is extra strain on your gpu.

It's not like me needing a 85 refresh rate on a crt monitor to get smooth quality back in the day. I do know a lot of people who couldn't see the flicker on a crt with a 60 refresh rate, but a LCD isn't the same.