Space Missions - what are they good for?

Yamchua

I've several lvl characters my highest is 40, but played only 3 space missions and left it at that.

I leveled up too fast already to spend some additional time doing them when fps and quests are much more enjoyable and rewarding ( you cant even fly, only press fire lazer or rocket )

So whats the point that brings ppl to doing them?

I really like space missions as a levelling aid. You don't need to go anywhere but sit in your ship, you get credits and xp with no penalties for failues. Fleet comms are useful (500 for the grade 7s, or you can trade in for mats boxes when you get to 50).

I play a few every couple weeks. It's like a good mini game that break the monotony if your usual play starts to feel stale.

Kind of cool looking too. There is that one where the moon is disintegrating as it crashes into the planet looks awesome. I want to make that a desktop background. Bioware should have that for free download on the home page.

Edited by Kerensk

I think they are horrible, I never play them as I feel they are an utter waste of time. And a waste of energy on Bioware's part, as they keep feeding us new space missions while only a tiny amount of the population actually likes them.

Still, some people actually do like them for some reason.

I find them useful, and fun. I didn't play the "rail shooters" when I was younger, I played the 2-D ones from the 80s and early 90s like Galaga or similar so the complaint about that doesn't register w/me.

:D

Sure, it could have been turned into a flight simulator sort of thing, but I'd keep hitting asteroids and other ships all over the place. Or get lost.

:eek:

Space missions are good for...

An entertaining break from the standard mmo playstyle if you enjoy the space combat.

I enjoy space combat and space simulations, thats why I dont like that mini game :p

But maybe i'll give it another try with my smuggler.

Space missions, when done at level, have the most xp/credits by time return. They last a few minutes, and (again, if done at level) get great return on credits and xp. So thats one thing.

Have you ever found yourself at fleet with NO credits (or barely any)? Jump on a FP or go do spce missions for a few credits to get yourself going again. ;)

The fleet comm vendor has orange pilot gear you can get with the comms from space missions. If you like the look. They are easier than social points, thats for sure.

And, as stated, sometimes I send all the crew out and relax a bit on the space missions. Lower stress level there.

I think they are horrible, I never play them as I feel they are an utter waste of time. And a waste of energy on Bioware's part, as they keep feeding us new space missions while only a tiny amount of the population actually likes them.

Care to explain where you got that "only tiny amount of population" part? Do you have some statistics I haven't seen?

As for me, space missions are fun way to earn some easy credits while breaking the monotony of the actual game. I usually tend to play the missions now and then, not that regularly.

I usually play space missions just before an alt gets a level. It's the quickest way to get a level. And now I have a level 40 with all orange gear I got with fleet commidations.

It's also a way of killing time. They only last on the average of about 5 minutes.

I send my companions on crafting misssions and by the time I'm done, they are usually done crafting.

As for a small amount that do this...I think you miscounted somewhere.

Space Missions give 60,000--150,000 xp in 25 minutes. NO WHERE ELSE can you do that.

if you skip them you are leveling slower than the rest of us. plain and simple.

Oh, and at 50, if you do them all, you earn about 100,000 credits per day.

Edited by Holinyx

The debate over space combat content boils down to those who "hate" the "on rails" nature and those who accept it for what it is - a mini-game. If you loved the X-wing series of games and were expecting something similar in this game, you were obviously disappointed. But in all candor, those expectations were too high. And before you spout that SWG had simulator style space combat, SOE ran SWG and companies NEVER share code. So while, BioWare may have had a model to work from, they had NO IDEA how it was done and instead of trying to reverse engineer someone else's game, they went their own way. Further, if you do not know yet, SWTOR is NOT SWG.

As others have said, it is a way to...

...earn XP - I use it when a character is about to level

...earn credits - as someone else said, if you do every space mission available at level 50, it is an easy 100,000.

...kill time while queued for flashpoints through group finder - if you are queued as DPS, IMO, it is a better option than going to quest on a planet or sitting at fleet twiddling your thumbs.

...break up the grind - it is something to do other than planet quests, daily quests, or flashpoints

Personally, when I started playing a year ago, I loved the space combat. It was (and still is) a simple, straightforward, easy to figure out mini-game that generates good XP and credits. But, I have burned out on it; just like I have burned out on PvP. I do not do space combat nearly as much as I used to, but when the FP queue is taking longer than expected (I play a tank and two healers), I jump into space combat to kill time.

Just got my ship last night on my first character. ("Hello, my name is Fizzwick and I'm a new player.") So I'm gathering here that the space missions aren't a flight sim? So, how do they work? I was a little leery of doing them as I suck at flight sims at least in part due to the motion sickness they induce. So something different/simpler sounds wonderful to me.

Just got my ship last night on my first character. ("Hello, my name is Fizzwick and I'm a new player.") So I'm gathering here that the space missions aren't a flight sim? So, how do they work? I was a little leery of doing them as I suck at flight sims at least in part due to the motion sickness they induce. So something different/simpler sounds wonderful to me.

I've seen a few people complain of motion sickness with them .. so you'll just have to try and see. You can always 'exit' out of them mid-way with no penalty at all (fuel cost to run one is 25-50 credits or something).

I like to run them when I know I only have a couple minutes to do something, as they are always limited to a specific time duration (about 3-7 min depending on which one). So maybe try one while waiting for FP queue to pop, making dinner, etc.

As far as flight slim style controls - this is much simpler :: put mouse cursor over target, click to shoot. Ship will "drift" to the cursor as well. Not much more than that...

Edited by BeToo

As far as flight slim style controls - this is much simpler :: put mouse cursor over target, click to shoot. Ship will "drift" to the cursor as well. Not much more than that...

right click over a target and you get a missile target lock. At first you only have 20 missiles (there are ship upgrades available as you level), and you can target lock up to four targets at once.

If you've ever played any of the Star Wars Arcades that's what its really like. People say it's not authentic, I say it's more authentic than SWG or X-Wing.

And as much as I loved X-Wing. There were missions that took forever because you spent a bunch of time criss-crossing the map trying to figure out what one thing you missed because an objective didn't clear. And god forbid you juked the wrong way next to a capital ship and disintegrated.

Space missions are good for what they need to be, a consequence free add-on to a MMORPG world game.

I do find myself wishing there was a missile upgrade that increased the amount of missiles you could fire at once as well as increasing magazine size.

Though maybe I've watched too much Macross...:rolleyes:

My cybertech can craft the purple L5 magazine that gives you 150, and now there is a L7 (I think). There is no upgrade to how many you can have up at a time (that I know off).

I do find myself wishing there was a missile upgrade that increased the amount of missiles you could fire at once as well as increasing magazine size:

The new Level 7 (or whatever it is now) Missile Magazine does help a bit :: it does 2x the damage, more or less. So instead of needing to fire two missile to take out a small fighter, now one will do ya. But they reduced the quantity to 100, so have to choose targets more carefully.