Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag Hacks

Arlanon
03.19.2013 , 11:34 AM | #21
I don't see a whole lot of suspicious activity. That said, I have seen a few questionable occurances. I get the 30 second lag at crucial moments, I've seen people stutter around then warp across fire pits. Last night I saw something really odd.

I, and 4 other teammates, were in the endzone of our own goal. This enemy Vanguard guy with a really long nonsensical name had the ball. All 5 of us were attacking him, and then he simply vanished. Combat ended, we all stood around, rotating in place, trying to figure out what had just happened.

3 seconds later, the enemy team scored a point. The Vanguard became visible again, did /laugh, and then we killed him.

Two things: First of all, going into stealth resets the Huttball. And second, Vanguards don't even have stealth. 5 of us saw this. I know at least 2 filed a report.

Arutar
03.19.2013 , 11:59 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
Confirmation bias. This thread has it.
I couldn`t have said it better myself.

PoliteAssasin
03.19.2013 , 04:22 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Cretinus View Post
Where's the self entitled computer/software/network/system/game designer engineering expert who tells us that there's no hacks and/or cheats in this game?! Usually, there's at least one of these fellows in a thread like this
Oh they've already enlightened us with their incredible knowledge, oops I mean denial.
D E M A V E N D O B E R Y N

bodhisattvasw
03.19.2013 , 04:33 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by adiwantinova View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I feel that this is happening quite a bit. There are a few players that when I'm against them in WZ's, my packets will spike enormously throughout a match -- as you said -- at critical times.
OMG!! I just returned from the game after a LONG break.

First thing I noticed, against 'specific' players I suddenly spike huge lag bursts, can't function properly, cannot hit buttons, etc. This happens repeatedly with these same players, every single time I face them. They have unrealistically high performance at the end as well. Extremely suspicious.

I am not quick to claim hacks, but my first impression was - this is a hack.

Monterone
03.19.2013 , 04:52 PM | #25
I've heard of lag switches before, and have been paying attention a bit more. There are a couple of people in particular on PoT5 who seem to 'bring the lag' with them when they are close.

Or I may be reading into it; in any case I'll watch them a bit longer.
Simonette . Sominette
Pot5 > Harbinger

Icykill_
03.19.2013 , 05:33 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Cretinus View Post
Where's the self entitled computer/software/network/system/game designer engineering expert who tells us that there's no hacks and/or cheats in this game?! Usually, there's at least one of these fellows in a thread like this
That's why I now have a device for recording game play when I believe hacks are happening... someone once told me on these forums there was no such thing as Hacks... did I have video proof?
At the time I didn't, so I said "no"... his response was... "then if you have no video proof, it didn't happen "
Seemed like a hacker just wanted to rub my face in it, that he could get away with doing it...
This really annoyed me to the point that I setup the recording device... since then I take great pleasure in shooting down that statement with backed up evidence... I just wish Bio would tell me where to send it?????
Bio... care to comment?

Coolhandmik
03.19.2013 , 06:56 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
So much ignorance of how network communications actually work going on in this thread.

Someone using a 'lag switch' would not benefit from it. The game would rubber band you back to the position you were at when you re-sync. Using it to avoid envrionmental damage or 'pass the ball after dieing' would not work either - these are things that the server controls. If the server thinks your dead, it automatically handles the ball being transferred, and any packets from a lagged client saying "Hey I'm passing the ball" are ignored (Server: Lol nope, you're dead son). Claims of this happening could be from passes being mid-air while the carrier dies (and could also be combined with the known bug of the pass circle not showing up, but rewatching this on video will clearly show the beacon of light over the carrier disappearing before they die, showing a pass).

Similarly, lagging yourself out in a fire trap would not help as the server would know where you are and still apply the damage, and your death.

Also, the 'lag attack' that you guys commonly see, the one which affects your framerates, is occured by the server loading a new instance of the warzone for another group of players. This has been noticed if you are the center of huttball at the time, you'll see a bunch of nametags pop up for a few seconds during the lag, then disappear. It also shows up in Novare, right in the center of the map where the speed boost is. Your client is loading, and then unloading the profiles of all these players. Why the system bothers sending this information to a completely different instance is just another case of this game's horribly inefficient coding.

Source: I'm a coder on an MMORPG Project.
Raw thank you for that explaination few people can get on here and give articulate responses, however the "lag throttles" or whatever you want to call them exsist. It is common knowledge, and on our server(shadowlands) are quite rampant. My headcount currently stands at 32 toons that are banned or suspended. The vast majority for exatly these things other players are commenting about in this thread. I even heard unsubstatiated rumors of entire republic guilds being investigated for their rampant use of a variety of hacks including the lag stuff. Since it is apparantly quite easy to utilize this exploit/hack with either 3rd party software or the "print screen" spam. Its use has increased 3 fold in the last month. Please if you notice something odd, and mean odd (please know that certain talents and abilites are quite often confused with hacks). For example the sentinel in denova that can solo cap the south node whilst being dps'd by no less than 4 enemy players, who then force camos and 10 seconds later (not 4), comes out of stealth and lag throttles his damage so that 3 abilities occur at once and essentially one shots you. That's odd. Or the focus guardian that you are 1v1'ing uses resolute to break your force choke and after some good ole fashioned smashing on both sides, insta heals himself to 100% instantly, and after taking a aoe blind uses resolute (2 min cd) immediatly again! That's odd. and this is just since Yesterday!

Totaltrash
03.19.2013 , 07:31 PM | #28
So much ignorance of how network communications actually work going on in this thread.

Someone using a 'lag switch' would not benefit from it. The game would rubber band you back to the position you were at when you re-sync. Using it to avoid envrionmental damage or 'pass the ball after dieing' would not work either - these are things that the server controls. If the server thinks your dead, it automatically handles the ball being transferred, and any packets from a lagged client saying "Hey I'm passing the ball" are ignored (Server: Lol nope, you're dead son). Claims of this happening could be from passes being mid-air while the carrier dies (and could also be combined with the known bug of the pass circle not showing up, but rewatching this on video will clearly show the beacon of light over the carrier disappearing before they die, showing a pass).

Similarly, lagging yourself out in a fire trap would not help as the server would know where you are and still apply the damage, and your death.

Also, the 'lag attack' that you guys commonly see, the one which affects your framerates, is occured by the server loading a new instance of the warzone for another group of players. This has been noticed if you are the center of huttball at the time, you'll see a bunch of nametags pop up for a few seconds during the lag, then disappear. It also shows up in Novare, right in the center of the map where the speed boost is. Your client is loading, and then unloading the profiles of all these players. Why the system bothers sending this information to a completely different instance is just another case of this game's horribly inefficient coding.

You are a coder? I doubt it.

Little history lesson for you - lag switches are around since the days of Halo 2.
They worked then and they work now and they worked in many games inbetween.

The best defense against it is to immediately disconnect the user when the connection is throttled.
That's the approach many games have taken - LoL being one example.

Want easy proof that it works in swtor?
1) Find an aggressive mob.
2) Run towards it just before you aggro, then hit the lag switch
3) Keep running past it until you hit the "invisible wall".
4) Toggle the lag switch off and, voila, you are past it without getting aggroed and without getting rubberbanded.
It works every time - you probably could just disconnect/reconnect your cat6 cable to get the same results.

What works in PVE, works in PVP.
But using lag switches in PVP is harder because it requires some practice to get the timing right.
Hence, most cheaters prefer speedhack-type software because it is easier to use.

Now stop bs'ing people with false information!

Joesixxpack
03.19.2013 , 07:41 PM | #29
Which means nada without a bit of expansion. I'm COO/CIO/CFO of an infrastructure design and lifecycle management organization. I.E. I buy components and build my own computers every few years.

Seriously though, my own experiences in this game differ from your opinion, so I'll go with those.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Rincewend
03.19.2013 , 09:05 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
That's why I now have a device for recording game play when I believe hacks are happening... someone once told me on these forums there was no such thing as Hacks... did I have video proof?
At the time I didn't, so I said "no"... his response was... "then if you have no video proof, it didn't happen "
Seemed like a hacker just wanted to rub my face in it, that he could get away with doing it...
This really annoyed me to the point that I setup the recording device... since then I take great pleasure in shooting down that statement with backed up evidence... I just wish Bio would tell me where to send it?????
Bio... care to comment?
they want and shoudl review game data, if you see something ticket it so they can review it. Same thing Xboxlive did and caught a lot of people lag switching. always include as much information in the ticket as you can so they can find the person and the game log (no idea how long they keep info but I would assume they maintain some kind of log system). Otherwise you could bug report loot drops to high level gear. forums are jsut for venting, I would never expect them to say anything here, as it would just lead to flame wars, and we are not playing that game we are playing Stun...err I mean Star Wars.