Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

Beniboybling
12.17.2012 , 11:32 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Mawduce View Post
is everyone forgetting the lost tribe of the sith. there has never been two sith... ever. even sidious had maul when plagious was still alive. plagious killed other sith during his rise. its never happened.
Sidious, Bane and the others would say they are not true Sith - not that it matters because they are a different order...

Oh and by the Sidious and Plagueis line they had all but abandoned the rule, believing they had reached the pinnacle of power and no longer needed to continue the line - which was probably true.

HigherReflex
12.18.2012 , 12:15 AM | #22
It's been awhile since I read the first Bane book, but didn't he get the idea of the Rule of Two from one of Revan's holocrons? Just a thought, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

Beniboybling
12.18.2012 , 01:47 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by HigherReflex View Post
It's been awhile since I read the first Bane book, but didn't he get the idea of the Rule of Two from one of Revan's holocrons? Just a thought, so correct me if I'm wrong here.
Correct. Revan taught only ever to have one apprentice at any time as having several would lead the weaker to banding together and defeating the stronger and so would weaken the Sith. It was Bane's idea however to only ever have two Sith at a time.

Mawduce
12.18.2012 , 07:50 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Sidious, Bane and the others would say they are not true Sith - not that it matters because they are a different order...

Oh and by the Sidious and Plagueis line they had all but abandoned the rule, believing they had reached the pinnacle of power and no longer needed to continue the line - which was probably true.
not true sith? they served under Naga Sadow in one of the galaxies greatest wars. if anything they are more sith than sidious or bane
I was made to fly, and you were made to die...

Hambunctious
12.18.2012 , 08:23 PM | #25
The rule of two destroyed sidious, and his apprentice was redeemed, and died. The sith would have been better off co-existing in another part of the galaxy.

The rule of two was a failure. In the scheme of things their little win was short lived, and it cost them all the sith in one fatal stroke.

Aurbere
12.18.2012 , 08:25 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Hambunctious View Post
The rule of two destroyed sidious, and his apprentice was redeemed, and died. The sith would have been better off co-existing in another part of the galaxy.

The rule of two was a failure. In the scheme of things, their little win was short lived, and it cost them all the sith in one fatal stroke.
It did exactly what it was meant to do: destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy. How was that a failure?

The Rule of Two produced the greatest Sith Lord ever and laid the path to take over the galaxy.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Hambunctious
12.18.2012 , 08:37 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
It did exactly what it was meant to do: destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy. How was that a failure?

The Rule of Two produced the greatest Sith Lord ever and laid the path to take over the galaxy.
It failed because by that choice of having only 2 sith, losing both at once ends the cycle.

On the bright side for the sith, they made it into the Republic's highschool history books to bore teenagers.

Aurbere
12.18.2012 , 08:42 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Hambunctious View Post
It failed because by that choice of having only 2 sith, losing both at once ends the cycle.

On the bright side for the sith, they made it into the Republic's highschool history books to bore teenagers.
Did it not accomplish what it set out to do? Sure it was ended when both Sith died, but it was meant for the Sith to operate in secrecy. A large group like the Sith Empire would seek war eventually. The Great Hyperspace War, Great Galactic War, Sith-Imperial War. These are examples of a large group of Sith seeking conflict. The Rule of Two allowed the Sith to operate in secrecy and destroy the Republic from within.

Now one could say Sidious could have trained more apprentices. But he did. But if he trained them to their fullest, they could band together to destroy him. Obviously such an attack would be doomed to failure, but Sidious' Empire would have fallen victim to old ways of the Sith.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Rayla_Felana
12.18.2012 , 08:54 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Mawduce View Post
not true sith? they served under Naga Sadow in one of the galaxies greatest wars. if anything they are more sith than sidious or bane
The original members yes, until that ***** killed off all the purebloods and their children.(Sorry am a big fan of the Pureblood species, she is one of those characters I despise.)

GrimAce
12.18.2012 , 08:54 PM | #30
Comparing the two seems kind of...ridiculous to me personally. We're looking at two different philosophies with very different approaches towards the whole 'galactic domination' objective. Rather then building an empire and a war machine to conquer the Republic, the Rule of Two focuses on infiltrating the Republic and overthrowing it from within, making comparing it to the older methods of Sith rulership pretty difficult.

On the other hand, you could compare the two philosophies effects on the Sith as a group themselves, in which case the Rule of Two is more effective, but more fragile. As has been previously stated, two Sith means one dying or being redeemed is a major setback to the Sith agenda.
|-o-| <-o-> |-o-|
I HAVE YOU NOW

| Vrek | Siiras | Elliöt | Kharoz | Bhalr | Bhálr |