Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

BurnedRemains's Avatar


BurnedRemains
12.15.2012 , 09:20 AM | #1
T4R. Bane sucks for making this.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
12.15.2012 , 09:25 AM | #2
Rule of two created the most powerful Sith Lord of all time, Darth Sidious, it was founded by the Sith'Ari himself Darth Bane and became the first ever Sith organization to wipe out the Jedi and conquer the Republic, if the Rule of Two is weak, the other Sith incarnations are pathetic.

BurnedRemains's Avatar


BurnedRemains
12.15.2012 , 09:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Rule of two created the most powerful Sith Lord of all time, Darth Sidious, it was founded by the Sith'Ari himself Darth Bane and became the first ever Sith organization to wipe out the Jedi and conquer the Republic, if the Rule of Two is weak, the other Sith incarnations are pathetic.
Only because the Sith became a shadow group was Sidious's rise possible. More Sith is better. Why do you think the Jedi don't use a similar rule?

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
12.15.2012 , 09:38 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BurnedRemains View Post
Only because the Sith became a shadow group was Sidious's rise possible. More Sith is better. Why do you think the Jedi don't use a similar rule?
The Sith wipe themselves out, every single time and if they don't, they become individually weak under the quise of being 'equal Lords', the reason Bane decided to have only two at a given time is become they inevitably defeat themselves or become so weak that the Jedi flatten them, take the Battle of Ruusan for example.

The Jedi don't stab each other in the back 24/7 because of petty powerplays, the only Sith organization that even came close to being a united force that didn't bother with Sith 'politics' was Malgus' empire, that lasted a whole of nil.

The more Sith you stick in a room, the more chances you have of the strong ones dying through god knows what means and then the weak ones have their own powerplays to become the now weaker Dark Lord.

the Rule of Two cancels that out and allows the Sith to grow exponentially more powerful with each new Master, until we get to Sidious who schooled Yoda, the second greatest Jedi ever and was barely defeated by the second greatest duellist ever, Mace Windu.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
12.15.2012 , 12:07 PM | #5
Really? So destroying the Republic with two (count 'em two) Sith is not impressive. The Rule of Two was genius on Bane's part (with Revan involvement of course, darn you DK! ), it allowed the Sith to grow in power while the Jedi weakened. However, the latter part didn't happen because Bane didn't understand how the Jedi grew in strength. So after a good thousand years, we have the Sith at their peak and the Jedi at their peak power. The Rule of Two produced the greatest Sith Lord to ever exist, and the Jedi Order producing some of the greatest Jedi Masters of all time.

For Sidious to do what he did was amazing and it was all thanks to the Rule of Two. As to your second point. Compared to Sidious, Bane is weak. But he isn't some chump.
Added Chapter 49 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

lokdron's Avatar


lokdron
12.15.2012 , 12:10 PM | #6
Eh the only really disadvantage with the rule of two is the fact that there can only be two sith at a time if both of em end up dying or being redeemed in some of form the sith as a whole is stuffed. Other than that its great since it eradicated the jedi order and took over the republic.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
12.15.2012 , 03:53 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Really? So destroying the Republic with two (count 'em two) Sith is not impressive. The Rule of Two was genius on Bane's part (with Revan involvement of course, darn you DK! ), it allowed the Sith to grow in power while the Jedi weakened. However, the latter part didn't happen because Bane didn't understand how the Jedi grew in strength. So after a good thousand years, we have the Sith at their peak and the Jedi at their peak power. The Rule of Two produced the greatest Sith Lord to ever exist, and the Jedi Order producing some of the greatest Jedi Masters of all time.

For Sidious to do what he did was amazing and it was all thanks to the Rule of Two. As to your second point. Compared to Sidious, Bane is weak. But he isn't some chump.
Let's not overrate the rule of two. It was a great idea on Bane's part, but without the deception/trickery/infiltration/skills/manipulative/master-mind that was Sidious, it wouldn't have won the Sith the galaxy.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
12.15.2012 , 03:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Let's not overrate the rule of two. It was a great idea on Bane's part, but without the deception/trickery/infiltration/skills/manipulative/master-mind that was Sidious, it wouldn't have won the Sith the galaxy.
And Plagueis

However, Sidious and Plagueis probably wouldn't have been in place without the Rule of Two.
Added Chapter 49 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

xNYROx's Avatar


xNYROx
12.16.2012 , 05:44 AM | #9
Something else no one pointed out. The rule of two allowed the sith to be ALOT more elusive. The Jedi actually thought many times that there were no sith left. This is why Sidious was able to fly completely under the radar and manipulate the government infrastructure.

I believe it was even mentioned on Episode 1.....when they told the council about their run in with maul on tatooine the council was in denial about sith still existing.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.16.2012 , 05:46 AM | #10
So how is it that all the other Sith before Bane failed to destroy the Republic and the Jedi? And yet the Banite line suceeded? More Sith is not better, not only does it dilute their power - it leads to the weak banding together to take down the strong and so the Order constantly implodes on itself and grows weaker.

Play this game Imperial side if you haven't already and all shall become clear... most of the missions involve infighting rather than fighting the Republic.

But hey, I figure your probably a troll seeing as you haven't really put forward any credible argument...
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Let's not overrate the rule of two. It was a great idea on Bane's part, but without the deception/trickery/infiltration/skills/manipulative/master-mind that was Sidious, it wouldn't have won the Sith the galaxy.
Well Plageuis actually did 50% if not more of the work for him... and most likely another genius would have come along as the Rule practically spawned them. Not to mention Sidious had a millenia of planning behind him. Bane was also very intelligent also. As was Cognus and Zannah. And even if another super smart Sith had not come along... the way the Order was going they would have ended up taking over the Republic anyways. I can just imagine it... Apprentice: "hey, what are we gonna do next to expand our power base?" Master: "Well by the looks of it we kinda control the galaxy, so errrr... guess we can declare a Sith Empire now"