Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Making merc Dps viable in PvP

TrumpetNut
12.14.2012 , 10:11 PM | #1
I don't like leveling I find it ridiculously time-consuming and boring and I want to play on my 50 merc dps. I like it but one thing: I hate spamming tracer missle!!!! So boring. Is there a way that is effective still (Spec as well) where you don't spam as much and are mobile that can do better than a sniper is PvP?

Omatche
12.15.2012 , 01:06 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by TrumpetNut View Post
I don't like leveling I find it ridiculously time-consuming and boring and I want to play on my 50 merc dps. I like it but one thing: I hate spamming tracer missle!!!! So boring. Is there a way that is effective still (Spec as well) where you don't spam as much and are mobile that can do better than a sniper is PvP?
you are never gonna match a sniper for pure dps, you are a support class which is much more flexible. Arsenal is indeed boring and cookie cutter so i ask you did you even try the other speqs? Pyro is great fun and much more mobile as not being dependant on Tracer to hit hard.

Read these forums, search youtube for pyro vids/guides and you'll start to enjoy merc again.

TrumpetNut
12.20.2012 , 09:35 AM | #3
Naw I've tried this junk and. Screw merc it's useless unless healing in which its boring....seriously worst class I've played
I

Individual
12.21.2012 , 06:22 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TrumpetNut View Post
FYI only viable merc in pvp is a healing merc. They are the worse class for pvp currently. Horrible defensive cooldowns. One tree is competely (arsenal) useless in pvp due to every ability can be interupted. The other tree (pyrotech) is viable, but it's comes short of big bothers dmg (powertechs) due to them getting better rail shot dmg.

TyrellJonez
12.21.2012 , 09:50 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Individual View Post
FYI only viable merc in pvp is a healing merc. They are the worse class for pvp currently. Horrible defensive cooldowns. One tree is competely (arsenal) useless in pvp due to every ability can be interupted. The other tree (pyrotech) is viable, but it's comes short of big bothers dmg (powertechs) due to them getting better rail shot dmg.
And 100% reliable CGC proc AND 2 Stuns. I just retired my Merc because i went 0-5 trying to get the weekly done. logged to my assassin and went 3-0 vs the very same premade. Yeah Mercs are garbage vs all but the worst players.
If they don't wanna see the hood in me, be satisfied when you see the good in me

Bouncy_Hunter
01.01.2013 , 04:40 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Omatche View Post
you are never gonna match a sniper for pure dps, you are a support class which is much more flexible. Arsenal is indeed boring and cookie cutter so i ask you did you even try the other speqs? Pyro is great fun and much more mobile as not being dependant on Tracer to hit hard.

Read these forums, search youtube for pyro vids/guides and you'll start to enjoy merc again.
That's interesting, I think Pyro is 10x more boring than Arsenal. To be honest (being a merc myself) If I had to make up a PvP group I'd never take an Arsenal OR Pyro merc. The only Merc I'd take would be a healer. The only good thing about Pyro is that it does good damage and isn't stuck in one place, but if you're gonna take a Pyro you might as well take a Powertech they're much better at it. But yeah Pyro mercs don't bring anything useful to the table.

Flintfire
01.02.2013 , 11:44 AM | #7
Pyrotech is boring. Heatseeker Missile is better than Thermal Detonator. And the skills I find for Pyrotech take a lot more heat because you are running around spamming mobile abilities and it adds up. You get overheated and become useless if you used vent heat earlier.
Infyrno Lvl 55 Infyrnus Lvl 55
Leiptr Lvl 55 Venaticus Lvl 55
Slaughtor Lvl 55 Evisceran Lvl 55
Sleipe Lvl 55 Desolus Lvl 55

Millem
01.03.2013 , 08:15 AM | #8
I was an Arsenal PvPer for about 5 months, but respecced to Pyro 3 monts ago. I may say that I can do so much more with a Pyro than I was able to do with an Arsenal... Of course, you burst straight damage is not as awsome as you may do with the Arsenal rotation, but the fact that you don't have to remain still count much more in a WZ.
With an Arsenal your damage results at the end of WZ are like "tottaly awsome" (against a team that gently let you spend 4,5 sec. casting) or "pretty much sucked" (against a team that only had to interrupt you). As a Pyro, if you are let alone you can do some good damage too, but, if not let alone, you can do as well. The results are more ballanced at the ends, because you can try to kite and move a lot, doing damage as your are running. Your survivability is far more better than as an Arsenal, but remember that you're still a Merc... the very bottom of the food chain.
One thing people would count as a "downpoint" is the fact that, as a Pyro, you actually have to manage your heat, something that you don't even notice as an Arsenal.
MILLEM
Level 55 Arsenal Mercenary

Sergeant_Xzurae
01.04.2013 , 08:41 PM | #9
I started SWTOR about a month or so ago and the class that looked the coolest to me was the Bounty Hunter and I ended up choosing Mercenary. It wasn't until I started frequently doing warzones that I noticed how often I die. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to improve in my combat.

I'm in the Arsenal tree, but I'm open to suggestions.

Millem
01.05.2013 , 04:34 AM | #10
First advice: change to Pyro (see above), a class that can't move properly and everybody knows how to interrupt is not viable in PvP. As a pyro you will survive a lot more.
Assuming you started a month ago, I may guess that you didn't get a lot of gear yet, so, I can give you the best advice of all: As you don't have so much to loose, start your character again and change your Advanced Class to POWERTECH, right now!
MILLEM
Level 55 Arsenal Mercenary