Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does this game have a memory leak?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Does this game have a memory leak?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WookieIsshe
12.13.2012 , 04:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
I have a i5-2500k, HD7770, 8gb DDR3 64-bit Win7 machine and I crash maybe once a day after a lot of hours (6+). I have a buddy with a machine little better than a modern toaster that crashes roughly every hour.

It's not just 32-bit machines.
Sorry to see so many of you having problems. I have an I7 2600k processor with 8 gigs of ram and a GT560ti video card and I have only crashed in the game ONCE since the day the game went live and it wasn't due to a memory leak. I believe it was actually in the beta. It seems this is only affecting certain people and the majority of the players are not experiencing this problem or the forums would be flooded with threads about it.

Hopefully you all get your problems resolved.

AllisonBerryman
12.13.2012 , 04:11 PM | #22 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
As Burtlebe posted earlier, we did recently post a comment relating to this issue (specifically as it relates to crashing). This is the text of the post:

Quote:
Hello! Just as an update to this thread, we are definitely aware of a small number of users experiencing an increase in memory related crashes with the game client since Game Update 1.4. Rest assured that we have been and are working on optimizations to improve performance for those players affected.

Thank you for your patience, and please continue to report your relevant information in this thread as it helps us in our optimizations.
You can read the thread and information request here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=550315

neocoma
12.13.2012 , 05:04 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Burtlebe View Post
round about answer is yes, below posted from Dev tracker post

12.05.2012 , 04:45 PM | #247

Hello! Just as an update to this thread, we are definitely aware of a small number of users experiencing an increase in memory related crashes with the game client since Game Update 1.4. Rest assured that we have been and are working on optimizations to improve performance for those players affected.
Soo ..the memory leak is in the game for 7 months now? Wow ...they really are improving the game, arent they.

/quit sub

Torvik
12.13.2012 , 05:09 PM | #24
Welcome to the Crash to Desktop Club.

Don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon. EA/Bioware has known about this forever and seems to be doing absolutely nothing about it.

If it makes you feel any better mine crashes every 45mins to 1 hour since patch 1.4.

Mattheq
12.13.2012 , 07:46 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Pulpp View Post
He's complaining of predicable degraded performance after varying hours of play sessions. I still am not sure what you are aiming at here....that his degraded performance on his gaming computer is....what? To be expected after playing a while? No, it's a memory leak. The OP wasn't complaining about the game using "some more memory", I think his complaint was clear. I am make no assumptions about how he solves the issue when it becomes troublesome. You feel free to.
You're absolutely wrong. I experience this with NO other game, only SWTOR and I play them ALL for hours and hours. SWTOR's performance craps out after 2-3 hours. If I manually close the client the client won't close, it'll just sit there with the screen being unresponsive.

Nothing else on my computer other than SWTOR is using much of anything in the way of resources and since this started happening with 1.6 it is a problem on their end.

It doesn't matter if I lower all the settings to low, it still happens.
Founder's Title Snob
Level 50 Jugg, Level 50 Sorc

Pulpp
12.13.2012 , 09:02 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Mattheq View Post
You're absolutely wrong. I experience this with NO other game, only SWTOR and I play them ALL for hours and hours. SWTOR's performance craps out after 2-3 hours. If I manually close the client the client won't close, it'll just sit there with the screen being unresponsive.

Nothing else on my computer other than SWTOR is using much of anything in the way of resources and since this started happening with 1.6 it is a problem on their end.

It doesn't matter if I lower all the settings to low, it still happens.
Pretty sure you quoted the wrong person or didn't read all of our posts but that aside, you have staff response now. Those looking to pretend the problem doesn't exist can finally quit doing so, lol.
--
Entitled whiners don't understand the new F2P model purposefully offers a stripped down version of the game to entice people to subscribe, because polls showed people were not willing to subscribe to the full version of the game (wait...what?!).

Blackardin
12.13.2012 , 09:03 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Mattheq View Post
I'm really not one to come here and gripe...unless Harbringer is down...and without going crazy know that I game on a computer that runs GW 2, Battlefield 3 and all the other latest games on high and ultra and never ever have a problem. But with the introduction of 1.6 I can play SWTOR for about 2-3 hours before there is a huge hit in performance and I did not have these issues prior to 1.6. I don't see a tech or bug forum to post in so I'm asking the community if anyone else has been experiencing problems since 1.6.

Yes I have the latest drivers...I'm not new to this.
I'm getting performance issues and out right crashes after a few hours. Never had it before.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Spartanik
12.13.2012 , 09:07 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by HarleysRule View Post
I think if you run a 32bit OS...yes.
I run it on 64bit have the memory leak too. The game has it. its not hardware.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

AsheraII
12.13.2012 , 09:37 PM | #29
intel i7 quadcore, Win 7-64, 12 Gb here, and no crashes, not even after having the client run for 12+ hours straight. Just the occasional "lag", like on Daleraan or on crowded fleets. Though it's actually not lag, but a drop in framerate. I'm just too lazy to tweak down my graphics settings a bit further for those occasions. But with the settings I run at now, I just know I'd get regular crashes on a slightly less strong machine.

Seriously people, tweak down those settings. Things can still look awesome with lower settings, you could probably even still keep the high res textures. But try disabling Anti Alliassing, lower the grass and tree setting by some 30% (these are also hidden in the games' graphics options), try different settings for shadows and lights. Especially during peak hours. Just these things I mention here will help performance dramatically.

Now, there is probably still some kind of memory leak for certain hardware setups. But running everything on max "because your computer is so awesome" won't help a bit. If anything, it'd only speed up the leakage, or create the circumstances for the leaking to start in the first place. Cleaning up unused memory on your computer takes resources as well! And yes, it IS possible to demand so much from your computer that it simply can't release the unused memory as fast as you're filling it up. If that causes a hickup on even one memory reference, then some tasks can end up referencing eachother and effectively protect themselves against being cleaned up.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

GillianS
12.13.2012 , 11:24 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
intel i7 quadcore, Win 7-64, 12 Gb here, and no crashes, not even after having the client run for 12+ hours straight. Just the occasional "lag", like on Daleraan or on crowded fleets. Though it's actually not lag, but a drop in framerate. I'm just too lazy to tweak down my graphics settings a bit further for those occasions. But with the settings I run at now, I just know I'd get regular crashes on a slightly less strong machine.

Seriously people, tweak down those settings. Things can still look awesome with lower settings, you could probably even still keep the high res textures. But try disabling Anti Alliassing, lower the grass and tree setting by some 30% (these are also hidden in the games' graphics options), try different settings for shadows and lights. Especially during peak hours. Just these things I mention here will help performance dramatically.

Now, there is probably still some kind of memory leak for certain hardware setups. But running everything on max "because your computer is so awesome" won't help a bit. If anything, it'd only speed up the leakage, or create the circumstances for the leaking to start in the first place. Cleaning up unused memory on your computer takes resources as well! And yes, it IS possible to demand so much from your computer that it simply can't release the unused memory as fast as you're filling it up. If that causes a hickup on even one memory reference, then some tasks can end up referencing eachother and effectively protect themselves against being cleaned up.
memleak exists for everyone it just hits the wall much much faster on 32bit systems
disable the large memory aware flag on swtor and i gauruntee you will crash within 30 minutes on fleet