Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does this game have a memory leak?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Does this game have a memory leak?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mattheq
12.13.2012 , 02:27 PM | #1
I'm really not one to come here and gripe...unless Harbringer is down...and without going crazy know that I game on a computer that runs GW 2, Battlefield 3 and all the other latest games on high and ultra and never ever have a problem. But with the introduction of 1.6 I can play SWTOR for about 2-3 hours before there is a huge hit in performance and I did not have these issues prior to 1.6. I don't see a tech or bug forum to post in so I'm asking the community if anyone else has been experiencing problems since 1.6.

Yes I have the latest drivers...I'm not new to this.

Burtlebe
12.13.2012 , 02:30 PM | #2
round about answer is yes, below posted from Dev tracker post

12.05.2012 , 04:45 PM | #247

Hello! Just as an update to this thread, we are definitely aware of a small number of users experiencing an increase in memory related crashes with the game client since Game Update 1.4. Rest assured that we have been and are working on optimizations to improve performance for those players affected.

Thank you for your patience, and please continue to report your relevant information in this thread as it helps us in our optimizations.

Joveth Gonzalez | Online Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

HarleysRule
12.13.2012 , 02:32 PM | #3
I think if you run a 32bit OS...yes.
Account cancelled 13 Dec 2012

Mattheq
12.13.2012 , 02:33 PM | #4
64 bit here. 8 gigs of ram. Quad Machine.
Founder's Title Snob
Level 50 Jugg, Level 50 Sorc

SickTag
12.13.2012 , 02:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mattheq View Post
Same. I am running a 6 core machine 64 bit 10 gigs of Ram. I have end up crashing due to this bug.

HarleysRule
12.13.2012 , 02:36 PM | #6
Ah then don't know what to tell you. I also run 64bit OS, 8 Gigs , quad core. I get randomly kicked to server select, but I have never had memory leak issues or CTDs.
Account cancelled 13 Dec 2012

Vandicus
12.13.2012 , 02:37 PM | #7
There are no hard and fast rules as to what have been causing memory related crashes. People with 64 bit have claimed experienced it as well. You can observe if you are experiencing this problem by checking to see if you are utilizing increasingly high amounts of memory.

Also consider the possibility that the crashes are not because of this particular issue. If it does not appear that you are using increasingly high amounts of memory, the crashes may be a result of a different problem.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Variden
12.13.2012 , 02:39 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by HarleysRule View Post
I think if you run a 32bit OS...yes.
Not just 32bit, I run a 64bit OS, Quad Core / SLI, 8 gig total ram pc. and my ram usage will gradually climb all throughout my play session. Even if I do nothing else but stay in one particular spot for a lengthy period of time. (Some planets seem to speed up the process worse than others. Taris, Alderaan, Voss to name a few, Im guessing its because of the excess use of shadows and foliage. Though, turning down these options does nothing to alleviate the problem. Also believe excess loading contributes to it.) At its norm, I'll see the ram usage gradually climb upto 30% from when I initially log on.

Been like that since day uno. Hasnt changed, dont expect it to, I simply learned to deal with it, or simply ignore it. Since at its worse, Ive never seen my system exceed 64% total usage, its not a total big deal for me. No less annoying though.

Burtlebe
12.13.2012 , 02:39 PM | #9
same here, running the game in windowed mode full screen helps some for some reason. you can also turn game settings to low and it works fine but i prefer to run them max and just deal with the occassional crash
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

Jason_T
12.13.2012 , 02:42 PM | #10
I've only crashed maybe once in the last several months, but I DO know there is a memory issue. The longer I play the more likely that when I go to exit the game it will not exit.

What I end up with is the game screen stays on my computer for several minutes, or permanently (until I force reboot the PC) after I exit the game. If I only play for an hour or two this isnt an issue and it will clear properly. If I play for several hours without exiting it will do this.