Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

On the Molecular Stabilizer Market

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
On the Molecular Stabilizer Market

Satedbuffalo
12.13.2012 , 01:59 PM | #1
I wonder if the devs understand the impact of 1.6 on end-game crafting. With WH gear (1 piece is obtainable through ~5 WZs) granting anywhere from 3-6 molecular stabilizers, PvP has very quickly become a constant and expedient way of gathering molecular stabilizers (and synthetic energy matrices).

I don't know if this has happened on most servers, but nearly every guild on ours crafts lvl 26/27s for free (for mats). With stabilizers (and corusca/mando iron, to a lesser degree) being really the only limiting factor involved, a large portion of our server is in nearly-full 63s, many are BiS.

IMO, there are really three interpretations of this:

1) Bioware did not anticipate crafting alliances, underestimated the potential for rampant 'free crafting', and expected molecular stabilizers to be rare enough that crafted mods and enhancements would only be accessible in bulk to serious end-game raiders.

2) Bioware took into account the current state of crafting and wanted to make the 'return' on free crafting (chance of a crit) negligible.

3) Bioware took into account the current state of crafting and wanted to dramatically incentivize PvP.

Personally, I expect 1) is a close-to-accurate interpretation but, frankly, 3) is a -serious- boon. Since Tuesday and the release of 1.6, I've collected 60 molecular stabilizers (while min-maxing WH gear). That's more than I could make elsewhere in the game, by an order of magnitude.

The molecular stabilizer market is plummeting. The relative cost of dreadguard mods/enhancements/armorings/barrels/hilts is plummeting. If it hasn't happened yet on your server, expect it to come very soon.

I think this is bad news for crafters who craft with a profit motive, but awesome news for folks who like to see servers with many geared players. Getting alts to BiS has never been easier.

I wonder if Bioware will respond to this. Personally, I kind of hope not. For now, though, I'm hording the heck outta these things.
Just some jerk who isn't good enough for rated.

Pinkycatcher
12.13.2012 , 05:43 PM | #2
I don't think Bioware has an economist on board to study this stuff. Otherwise Matrices (purple) would be worth more than stabilizers (blue). Also if they studied about the in-game economy that much they probably wouldn't have made crafting the space ship upgrades possible, it's just not worth it when many people will just buy it on cartel and sell it for less than the cost of half the mats.
Pinkycatcher 50 Scoundrel
Pinkyguard 50 Vanguard
Pinkysage 50 Sage
[Contraband Inc.]

Spoletta
12.14.2012 , 03:20 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinkycatcher View Post
I don't think Bioware has an economist on board to study this stuff. Otherwise Matrices (purple) would be worth more than stabilizers (blue). Also if they studied about the in-game economy that much they probably wouldn't have made crafting the space ship upgrades possible, it's just not worth it when many people will just buy it on cartel and sell it for less than the cost of half the mats.
Read the dev tracker, looks like it was a mystake.

Beef_Cake
12.14.2012 , 03:31 AM | #4
I think the damage is already done. BW can sit back and try to fix it all they want, but all that will do is upset the people and make even more people leave the game. Again, great patch BW. Most of us Crafters were able to make a small profit, but now, its a joke, we can't make anything with everyone being able to run 2-5 WZ and buy a piece of War Hero gear and Reverse Engineering it for Stabilizers and Matrix Cubes.

Seriously, what's the point of Operations, Weeklies, and Dailies when we can just PVP for a hour and earn more Grade 8 crafting material PvP'ing than we can possibly get in a weeks time from Raiding. It was bad enough you can't find a group willing to run a full Operation now that all you need to do is get to the second boss and your weekly is fulfilled. Now we can't even find a group to do that since this new change to PvP. Allowing them to RE everything under the sun, at no real challenge when you reward people for losing.

My suggestion of fixing this issue:

1. Raise the price of War Hero Gear (which isn't that great of an idea)
2. Eliminate the ability to gain Synthetic Energy Matrix Cubes and Molecular Stabilizers from Ware Hero and Elite War Hero Gear.

War Hero Gear Armoring, Mods & Enhancements can't be crafted, but yet they can be RE'd and grade 8 crafting material can be obtained. Empty Shells can be crafted, and still do not require Synthetic Energy Matrix and or Molecular Stabilizers, but yet you can Reverse Engineer the Empty Shell and gain the grade 8 crafting material.

Something needs to be fixed here.
Nakiri - 50 Sage Healer / DPS
Crafter for the Republic - Prophecy of the Five

Beef_Cake
12.14.2012 , 03:47 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Spoletta View Post
Read the dev tracker, looks like it was a mystake.
I assume you are referring to the space ship parts. Because nothing was said about the ability to farm Matrix Cubes and Stabilizers.
Nakiri - 50 Sage Healer / DPS
Crafter for the Republic - Prophecy of the Five

L-RANDLE
12.14.2012 , 10:50 AM | #6
Or maybe BW thought that its a bit ridiculous that two professions (well really one) were charging ungodly numbers for said crafts, when other professions don't have that luxury.

Spoiler
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Mozivicus
12.14.2012 , 10:54 AM | #7
Farming matrix cubes, or farming synthetic energy matrices by REing war hero gear?

L-RANDLE
12.14.2012 , 10:58 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mozivicus View Post
Farming matrix cubes, or farming synthetic energy matrices by REing war hero gear?
Syth Energy Matrix & Stabilizers. And as I understood it, it only applies to Cybers and Artificers. The shells don't yield either of those on an RE by Armormech/Synthweavers.

jamescloutier
12.14.2012 , 11:02 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Syth Energy Matrix & Stabilizers. And as I understood it, it only applies to Cybers and Artificers. The shells don't yield either of those on an RE by Armormech/Synthweavers.
I know with PvE gear if you leave the armoring inside the shell and re the shell you would get Energy Matrix & Stabilizers (by Armormech/Synthweavers). I haven't tried with PvP gear yet to confirm if this is still true.

L-RANDLE
12.14.2012 , 11:46 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by jamescloutier View Post
I know with PvE gear if you leave the armoring inside the shell and re the shell you would get Energy Matrix & Stabilizers (by Armormech/Synthweavers). I haven't tried with PvP gear yet to confirm if this is still true.
Well even if it is, the fact is, only two professions benefit from the stabilizers previously being "hard to come by", when looking at if from a income potential point of view.

Armormechs/Syths don't make spit on high level items that require stabs, neither does Biochem/Armstech*

*since you only need one or two implants/barrels versus a crap load more armorings/mods/enh.

The point of raiding is to:
1. Get the gear for free
2. Get schematics for crafting.

None of which you can do in PvP. The mats are inconsequential.... Even if you win all 5 with the daily, that's 800 comms. The lowest price piece is 625 (assuming armormechs can RE belts/bracers and get stabs, which is questionable at this point), so let's say 6 WZ for a pair of WH gloves @875 comms .

So from a time aspect, that 1 or 2 stabs every hour (assumes 10min per WZ), tops. And even if you have mules, its still only a max of 6, but you spend a boat load of credits doing it.
Spoiler