Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Orange items always best?

jivares
12.13.2012 , 12:27 PM | #1
I'm fairly new to the game and enjoy playing it so far. I have collected several pieces of orange armor and weapons across my different characters. Often, I have other non-orange items which have higher base damage or a better armor rating and very similar on the ability bonuses. I understand the the orange items can be upgraded with better and better mods, hilts, barrels, etc, but does this offset the difference in armor rating or base damage? Do those base numbers increase when the mods are applied?

I have kept the orange pieces, but I am currently using other items in their place. Am I doing it incorrectly?

Thanks in advance.

Varinm
12.13.2012 , 12:31 PM | #2
For armor, the Armoring slot increases the base level & armor rating of the piece. So far as I understand, Mods and Enhancements are just stat boosters.

For weapons, the Hilt (melee) or Barrel (ranged) increase the base level, min/max damage, and Force or Tech power rating. In the same way (as I understand), Mods and Enhancements are just stat boosters.

LukeSaberRattler
12.13.2012 , 12:38 PM | #3
Orange armor is best as you can constantly change out the mods as you level and generally get higher stats at the same level as other blue/green items. However, it can get pricey to mod orange pieces especially if you have they in every slot compared to just buying a cheap blue off the gtn.
The Harbinger
Snozzberry lvl 65 Gunslinger -- Friendlyminion lvl 60 Marauder -- UnfriendlyNPC lvl 60 Shadow -- Beskha lvl 60 Mercenary
Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/Rm3kpG

Jason_T
12.13.2012 , 01:19 PM | #4
I try to start getting Orange pieces as early in the game as possible and I use planetary commendations to fill the armoring slots as I level up. I know you can start getting them on Nar Shadda or possibly as early as Taris/Balmorra. I basically take the commendation quest reward whenever possible unless the other option is a significant upgrade for. Then, before I leave that planet I buy the best armoring piece I can get and slot them into my orange items. Usually by the time I finish ACT 1 I'll have all my armor except belt/bracer as Oranges using those mods.

tiltion
12.13.2012 , 02:39 PM | #5
Personally I compare stats more than anything. If a blue/green has better stats than my orange gear I use it.
"...another reason why you can’t mail your incredibly dirty messages to members of the opposite faction. ...Empire players would start sending horrific messages – and I mean horrific – so that’s what we want to avoid." - Creative Director James Ohlen

jivares
12.13.2012 , 03:38 PM | #6
Tank you for the responses, thoughts and information.

So, as I understand it, the orange gear I collected between levels 11 and 17 could possibly be used all the way to 50. Understandably, there are special gear sets out there for PVP, Social, etc., but when compared to 'regular' gear with a higher minimum level, orange gear has the potential to outshine them.

I guess I better go buy some mods.

Kerensk
12.13.2012 , 05:31 PM | #7
Yeah, orange depends what's in it. Load it up with green mods and Armor and a regular purple item of the same level will probably outshine it. And the further behind you the level of mods is the worse it gets so your have to keep it up to date every few levels (about when you leave a planet).

If some gear drops that is better feel free to equip it. Keep the orange gear around so you can upgrade and use it later, especially if you like the look.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”

LingBa
12.14.2012 , 11:42 PM | #8
Moddable purple items are actually the best but you generally don't see much of them at lower levels. As far as wearing good blue/unmoddable purples for 2/3 levels is concerned it's up to you. Personally on my first toon I sold those items on the GTN, purples especially will get you a stack of credits. Once you've got a 50 to financially support alts then by all means wear the purple/blue gear until your can upgrade your orange stuff further

TheIronMonkey
12.15.2012 , 09:42 AM | #9
I start with whatever drops (no matter what color). As oranges come along, I put them on and never look back. Every planet has commendations, and the best use for them is the mods and armoring. With this and some cybertech crafting I keep all my armor above the drop level.

Choosing which orange is a matter of looks. Remember you can unify the colors, so choose your chest piece carefully. Even if the part comes with the wrong skill (lets say) AIM, you can convert it to cunning by switching the armoring and mod, assuming is something your toon can wear (heavy vs medium vs light).

If you get any bound pieces during a FP you don't need, remember you can take out the mods and use them on other items. I have been running some FPs and ended up with more chest pieces I could shake a stick at, but they turned out to be a good source of mods. You can even get an enhancement or a crystal off a lightsaber that a tech user doesn't need (again, on bound items, which you are not going to use and can only vendor them).

Yes, you can keep that level 10 orange all the way to L50. If you like the look.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

Kerensk
12.15.2012 , 03:12 PM | #10
Oh, and Adaptive Armor can be used on any Armor class, light medium or heavy.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”