Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's with the rudeness?

darkwaffle
12.13.2012 , 02:10 PM | #21
I do not think it is the F2P crowd that is the problem, they are probably the scapegoats of the real issue, the OP mentioned.

I am a subcriber, and have recently returned. I have 3 50's previously and started a new alt to level up. I waited approximately an hour to get into an FP, and when I accepted to join I teleported into the starting area of the FP.

When the first dialogue encounter came up, my game crashed to desktop. Something completely out of my control, and when i log back in, the tank drops the group, and the healer calls me a dumba**? Attitudes like this are what make people drop games like a bad habbit.

Edit: the healer and tank were both subscribers

Leopagne
12.13.2012 , 02:17 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSarynn View Post
Welcome to the internet, where hiding behind anonymity provides people the opportunity to be the utter *******es they would never be in a real, public face-to-face setting.
I see this response used in every discussion on this topic; it doesn't answer the question fully - WHY would people jump on the opportunity to behave like complete jerks? If the answer is just "because they can" ... that is a very distressing commentary about people in general.

Urael
12.13.2012 , 02:19 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Leopagne View Post
I see this response used in every discussion on this topic; it doesn't answer the question fully - WHY would people jump on the opportunity to behave like complete jerks? If the answer is just "because they can" ... that is a very distressing commentary about people in general.

Transferrence. People who often abuse others verbally or physically are or were abused themselves and usually have no recourse to their abuser. This is the lasting legacy of abuse. There are lasting effects that echo through time unless one gets help.

OriginSucks
12.13.2012 , 02:20 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifolad View Post
Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you. You belittle, bully, push around, make fun, and generally act like a d'bag to the new players. I've been here since beta and it has gotten progressively worse. Since this game does have some younger people i am going to assume some of the replies and trolls in general are from punk teenagers who don't know any better for whatever reason as they think it's ok to be a jerk because it's the internet. The rest of you though should know better. Just remember what goes around comes around. Karma is a B. it. ch. Oddly enough I know some of you are adults who SHOULD know better than to behave like a scammy (NOT SCUMMY) 12 year old dennis the menace who takes enjoyment from getting a rise out of other people and or just being a outright jerk. Are you like this all the time or is this your defensive mechanism forged through years of crappy upbringing? In that case i understand why your behavior is such that it is you think it's the world's fault and you're entitled to be an ***.

To MOST of you good people thanks for the enjoyment and interaction you bring to the game as it is due to good people like you that make our game better. For the rest of you that this post is directed at please do the game a favor and grow up and act like a civilized person don't be so mean to the new players and make our great game die due to lack of population because a few bad apples chased them all off. Who knows, by being a nice and helpful person you may just make a few friends. That is all.

It is due to a thing called anonymity....

It's easy to be a d-bag when people don't know who you are.

Mazikeen
12.13.2012 , 02:27 PM | #25
Honestly? Bad parenting. And yes, I went there. When I was growing up, if I acted like a complete tool and didn't have a justifiable reason for it, I'd get my &%@ handed to me. I don't mean being blunt and telling people how it is without sugar coating things, I mean just being an overall tool.

These days most parents are afraid to touch their kids and the kids are smart enough to know what they can get away with. Add to that the growing social acceptance of this behavior and you get what we have today.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

Rafaman
12.13.2012 , 02:40 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
Honestly? Bad parenting. And yes, I went there. When I was growing up, if I acted like a complete tool and didn't have a justifiable reason for it, I'd get my &%@ handed to me. I don't mean being blunt and telling people how it is without sugar coating things, I mean just being an overall tool.

These days most parents are afraid to touch their kids and the kids are smart enough to know what they can get away with. Add to that the growing social acceptance of this behavior and you get what we have today.
It is true. Your experiences shape who you are. My folks wouldn't put up with it and it ingrained it in me as well. And yes, I did get my butt handed to me an several occasions.

Oddly, I'm not that old... and I'm already starting to sound like my dad. Nevertheless, manners and a general sense of decorum are lacking these days. Yes... it is possible to have civil discourse on the internet. Sadly this forum is not the place.

Addaib
12.13.2012 , 02:42 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifolad View Post
Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you. You belittle, bully, push around, make fun, and generally act like a d'bag to the new players. I've been here since beta and it has gotten progressively worse. Since this game does have some younger people i am going to assume some of the replies and trolls in general are from punk teenagers who don't know any better for whatever reason as they think it's ok to be a jerk because it's the internet. The rest of you though should know better. Just remember what goes around comes around. Karma is a B. it. ch. Oddly enough I know some of you are adults who SHOULD know better than to behave like a scammy (NOT SCUMMY) 12 year old dennis the menace who takes enjoyment from getting a rise out of other people and or just being a outright jerk. Are you like this all the time or is this your defensive mechanism forged through years of crappy upbringing? In that case i understand why your behavior is such that it is you think it's the world's fault and you're entitled to be an ***.

To MOST of you good people thanks for the enjoyment and interaction you bring to the game as it is due to good people like you that make our game better. For the rest of you that this post is directed at please do the game a favor and grow up and act like a civilized person don't be so mean to the new players and make our great game die due to lack of population because a few bad apples chased them all off. Who knows, by being a nice and helpful person you may just make a few friends. That is all.
I guess you need to qualify if your talking about behavior on the board vs. in game behavior or some combination of both.

With the boards, I think its people just being sick of people grand standing, making overly dramatic posts etc. Or on the other side being mindless fanbois of Bioware etc.

In game I think its just basic Social Psychology at work. You've got anonymity. In some areas competition for limited resources (people complaining about kill stilling for Dailies as an example). And when added together that is just going to make it worse.

And contrary to a few posters, I think F2P has made it worse. (Not in a huge way, but a few notches worse). Because of F2p, I think we got a crop of younger players that have not been schooled in etiquette and netiquette.

kamed
12.13.2012 , 02:48 PM | #28
Agreed! Anonymity makes people feel like they are invincible and be able to do what they want and not suffer consequences. But I hardly meet mean people in game and most people are friendly and helpful. I remember when the servers were really empty and before the mergers, everyone knew each other and were actually friendly since we all had to help out each other.

Once there were more people, I noticed things got a little out of control and people started trolling a lot. I have seen some people who were angry for some reason when I zoned in, not sure of the details, but whatever... Just ignore and move along.

ziphii
12.13.2012 , 03:02 PM | #29

Unfortunately, I think it *is* because they can. People are generally selfish, and enjoy profit at others' expense. And it gets more so the less they know you. So you might genuinely help your family or a close friend, but people in your neighborhood only when there are opportunities for social rewards (being seen, etc) and even less likely to help a complete stranger.

uniz
12.13.2012 , 03:24 PM | #30
there are absolutely no repercussions to deter this behavior in many of the previous mmos these players came from. there is very little in this one too except for the group finder ignore feature and a non cross server lfd. these two can with time help. but for the most part it is up to us the players to police them ourselves.

the problem isn't anonymity as much as the lack of learning any manners. other mmos have in game features which gave you groups, raids and warfronts with people you will very likely never see again. this only propagates selfishness and a "who cares attitude since i wont see them again." in other mmos with out such lfd social features where you were forced to interact with others, inappropriate behavior was policed by simply not playing with them nor those in their guild. such worked very well when one cant get a group because of a poor reputation or a guild cant recruit because it is filled full of obnoxious members.

i have already seen players comment in general chat against such obnoxious remarks of others which is a start. when i see players posting here on the forums about not getting groups the first thing that comes to mind is "are you obnoxious in general chat or in how you play the game"? if so then players have put you on ignore and you are being punished. sadly these people are just too clueless about it and complain about not getting groups.

it is up to the players to punish offenders by simply not playing with them. sending them a tell or remark in general chat is step one. putting them on ignore afterwards is step two.