Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What is the purpose of a sub?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the purpose of a sub?

MrSchmo's Avatar


MrSchmo
12.13.2012 , 11:11 AM | #11
To surprise the enemy from the depths of the sea.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.13.2012 , 11:13 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Reroka View Post
With the new cartel coins and the items on it, what is the purpose? I thought that all the stuff on the cartel shop the people who paid monthly would get automatically, however that is not the case. Yes, we get 500 coins a moth or 600 depending on if you have a security key but why should I keep my sub? BioWare keeps putting this stuff on the cartel shop for people to buy but why should I not get this stuff free considering I am paying 14.99 a month and have been since day one?
Can we get a dev to answer this?

I don't know about "free", but yes if you look at the Life Day Pack costing 2400cc than the maxium number of coins you can get as a subscriber being ~600 per month, that is 4 months sub coins (at least) per 1 pack/1character.


That too me suggests the cartel market is far too expensive for subscibers OR that subscribers get far too few coins per month as part of there subscription. It's basically seems to be nickle and diming, getting subscribers to pay twice to me.

LOTRO and other Fremium games are NOT like this, they give you much more relatively for a subscription.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

harpuax's Avatar


harpuax
12.13.2012 , 11:13 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
And if we stripped away all revenue then we wouldn't have a game at all.
Never said the shop or the stuff in it s a bad thing, just saying don't always assume that the revenue of it is used to make the game better, that isn't always true.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.13.2012 , 11:15 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
No. It's a cosmetic item not required for gameplay. And the revenue of those transactions goes toward producing new content for the game.
No it doesn't, it goes into the vastness of EA, what they then give to Bioware EA for development is up to them.

There is no guarentee that even 0.000000000000001% of cartel sales go back into the game.


Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
And if we stripped away all revenue then we wouldn't have a game at all.
It's quite possible to have a profitable Freemium game without ripping off subscribers, look at LOTRO and DDO.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Urael's Avatar


Urael
12.13.2012 , 11:17 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Reroka View Post
I see your point there, but yet there are some things that are only offered on the shop. For example that new speeder with lights. Why should I have to spend cartel coins on that when I already pay 14.99 a month? Should I not get that anyways just because I paid for my monthly sub?
No. But, perhaps an alternative way for one to "earn it in the game" (e.g. with credits or Comms) should be provided for subscribers. TBH, that item is "yet another" reskin.

Marak's Avatar


Marak
12.13.2012 , 11:25 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
No it doesn't, it goes into the vastness of EA, what they then give to Bioware EA for development is up to them.

There is no guarentee that even 0.000000000000001% of cartel sales go back into the game.




It's quite possible to have a profitable Freemium game without ripping off subscribers, look at LOTRO and DDO.
If you consider a tacky snowblower with Christmas lights and your unwillingness to pay for it being ripped off I dunno what to tell you. It's in no way forced on you at all.
Cag - Juggernaut | V'ae - Sorcerer | V'ay - Mercenary
<The Jyse Legacy (50)> | Jedi Covenant
Aenik - Assassin | Vhay - Operative | K'rie - Sniper | Vhae - Marauder

Reroka's Avatar


Reroka
12.13.2012 , 11:26 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Perhaps you should look at what the sub does get you instead of what it doesn't. Just for the comparison.

Little things like, storage space, sprint at level 1. Access to all areas of the game. Earlier levels for speeder use. Reduced cost on various items, especially respeccing and taking mods out of gear are great elements.

And yes you get 500 cartel points which is about a third of the sub price in value.

The cartel shop just offers fluff items and stuff for lazy people. I decided to buy the rocket boots instead of paying with creds in game. So there it is.

Very good points,

My post was not ment to flame or start fight. I just wanted some opinions. I am not mad that I have a sub. I am keeping my sub. Hell I just got back from 4 moths off due to back surgery but I still kept my sub paid even though i could not play.

Atrimentus's Avatar


Atrimentus
12.13.2012 , 11:27 AM | #18
It's funny that 4 months ago you had to be a subscriber to play the game. Nowadays if you want everything you have to subscribe anyway. Doesn't seem like anything has changed besides the fact that now there's a shop to get you to plop down more money. If this game was sinking before F2P, it will start doing so again in a few months.

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
12.13.2012 , 11:27 AM | #19
End game and PVP is really it. If you enjoy farming HMs and Ops, or you do a lot of WZs, you sub. If not, there is no point, really.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
12.13.2012 , 11:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Atrimentus View Post
It's funny that 4 months ago you had to be a subscriber to play the game. Nowadays if you want everything you have to subscribe anyway. Doesn't seem like anything has changed besides the fact that now there's a shop to get you to plop down more money. If this game was sinking before F2P, it will start doing so again in a few months.
You see this is the irony of EAware's reasoning for Freemium in the first place? They "blamed the players" for their woes. They repeatedly stated over and over again that "players don't want to pay $15 a month to play a game". This just isn't true. People are paying their competition $15 to play their products. People didn't want to play $15 a month for SWTOR because in their minds it wasn't worth it. Not because it was $15 a month. So with their scewed view of things that paying $15 a month was the bane of SWTOR they set about to right things with Freemium. The ironic conclusion though is the fact that this particular Freemium model is a "penalty" model that drives people to do the thing that EAware claims killed SWTOR in the first place: SUBSCRIBE. Oh silly EAware.