Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the purpose of a sub?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the purpose of a sub?

Reroka
12.13.2012 , 10:50 AM | #1
With the new cartel coins and the items on it, what is the purpose? I thought that all the stuff on the cartel shop the people who paid monthly would get automatically, however that is not the case. Yes, we get 500 coins a moth or 600 depending on if you have a security key but why should I keep my sub? BioWare keeps putting this stuff on the cartel shop for people to buy but why should I not get this stuff free considering I am paying 14.99 a month and have been since day one?
Can we get a dev to answer this?

Vandicus
12.13.2012 , 10:52 AM | #2
Take a look at the cost of a sub. Then take a look at what it would cost to get everything offered in a sub on the Cartel Market. The sub is the package deal.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Reroka
12.13.2012 , 10:55 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Take a look at the cost of a sub. Then take a look at what it would cost to get everything offered in a sub on the Cartel Market. The sub is the package deal.
I see your point there, but yet there are some things that are only offered on the shop. For example that new speeder with lights. Why should I have to spend cartel coins on that when I already pay 14.99 a month? Should I not get that anyways just because I paid for my monthly sub?

DAMossimo
12.13.2012 , 10:56 AM | #4
The point is, you're going to get screwed a little bit either way. Sub currently hurts just a little less imo.

Vandicus
12.13.2012 , 10:58 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Reroka View Post
I see your point there, but yet there are some things that are only offered on the shop. For example that new speeder with lights. Why should I have to spend cartel coins on that when I already pay 14.99 a month? Should I not get that anyways just because I paid for my monthly sub?
That's not how f2p hybrid models work. Cash shop items(and cash shops exist in games that aren't f2p) typically require real money purchases, except in cases where its possible to earn small sums of the cash shop currency in game(like DDO). Bioware has said they're looking into a way to let people earn cash shop currency in game, but other than that and the coins you get from subbing you won't be getting alternate ways to access those cash shop cosmetics.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Marak
12.13.2012 , 10:59 AM | #6
No. It's a cosmetic item not required for gameplay. And the revenue of those transactions goes toward producing new content for the game.
Cag - Juggernaut | V'ae - Sorcerer | V'ay - Mercenary
<The Jyse Legacy (50)> | Jedi Covenant
Aenik - Assassin | Vhay - Operative | K'rie - Sniper | Vhae - Marauder

Ephesia
12.13.2012 , 10:59 AM | #7
All the items that are not offered to subscribers in the Cartel Market are either fluff like the speeder you mentioned, or convinience unlocks like the legacy unlocks or the space equipment. None of them are necessary to preserve your gaming experience.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst

harpuax
12.13.2012 , 11:05 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
No. It's a cosmetic item not required for gameplay. And the revenue of those transactions goes toward producing new content for the game.
No where is there anything that say that is where the money goes. We all hope it goes back into development but that is not always the case. Sometimes it just goes into more cash shop junk development. Look at CO, they have had a cash shop all along and haven't seen any new content in over a year.

Also, just because something is "not required to play" does not mean it isn't important to peoples enjoyment of the game. If we stripped away everything that wasn't needed to play the game it would be a pretty dull and lifeless product not far from a game of Pong.

Marak
12.13.2012 , 11:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by harpuax View Post
No where is there anything that say that is where the money goes. We all hope it goes back into development but that is not always the case. Sometimes it just goes into more cash shop junk development. Look at CO, they have had a cash shop all along and haven't seen any new content in over a year.

Also, just because something is "not required to play" does not mean it isn't important to peoples enjoyment of the game. If we stripped away everything that wasn't needed to play the game it would be a pretty dull and lifeless product not far from a game of Pong.
And if we stripped away all revenue then we wouldn't have a game at all.
Cag - Juggernaut | V'ae - Sorcerer | V'ay - Mercenary
<The Jyse Legacy (50)> | Jedi Covenant
Aenik - Assassin | Vhay - Operative | K'rie - Sniper | Vhae - Marauder

Tsillah
12.13.2012 , 11:09 AM | #10
Perhaps you should look at what the sub does get you instead of what it doesn't. Just for the comparison.

Little things like, storage space, sprint at level 1. Access to all areas of the game. Earlier levels for speeder use. Reduced cost on various items, especially respeccing and taking mods out of gear are great elements.

And yes you get 500 cartel points which is about a third of the sub price in value.

The cartel shop just offers fluff items and stuff for lazy people. I decided to buy the rocket boots instead of paying with creds in game. So there it is.
Et In Gehenna Vixi...