Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Grade 7 Starship Upgrades

gpudh
12.13.2012 , 10:15 AM | #1
I have not been super impressed with the Grade 7 upgrades for star ships. Not any huge changed from my high end grade 6. I few points plus or minus here and there and 50 less missiles but with more damage (but damage of last missile set was not listed) I have not picked up the power conversion or emp pods yet. What is the difference? The emp still only lasts for 15 seconds. Is it a faster cooldown? What is the improvement on the power conversion? How much power to blasters? Does this take even more from shields or less?

I have tired new space missions and failed (granted I'm a sucky pilot) but it is a part of the game I like and if having all the grade 7 upgrades will help I would like to know to what extent it will help my poor skills.

Jacen_Starsolo
12.13.2012 , 10:28 AM | #2
There are reports that it won't really help unless you have the skill. Which is why I'm not wasting money on it. There's also reports of skilled people doing them with grade 6 gear but only reports. No video I can find.

Vandicus
12.13.2012 , 10:37 AM | #3
The new emp pods make a huge difference compared to the old one. I find it particularly useful in the mission with three frigates behind the player at the start, opening up with it there will allow you to save missiles and basically eliminate all the destroyable turrets on the frigates(it will also one shot turrets on a command ship, and the new command ship turrets pack a punch). The additional invulnerability time for the new electronic warfare pod I find is almost necessary for the minefield mission.

Don't really know about the power conversion module. Its superior, but I'm not sure to what degree it is.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

dpwms
12.13.2012 , 10:40 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
There are reports that it won't really help unless you have the skill. Which is why I'm not wasting money on it. There's also reports of skilled people doing them with grade 6 gear but only reports. No video I can find.
My experience is that even though I can ace the previous top tier missions with ease with the old ship upgrades, even with the tier 7 gear the new ones are too frustrating to be much fun. Not impossible--I've completed three of them--just so tedious that I probably won't repeat them.

gpudh
12.13.2012 , 10:53 AM | #5
Thanks so far. Looking for news on the strength of the Improved Power Conversion module. I have always leaned heavy on this one.

AuckaLukaum
12.13.2012 , 10:57 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by dpwms View Post
My experience is that even though I can ace the previous top tier missions with ease with the old ship upgrades, even with the tier 7 gear the new ones are too frustrating to be much fun. Not impossible--I've completed three of them--just so tedious that I probably won't repeat them.
They're pretty tough. I've completed three as well. Not sure they'll be worth the hassle of repeating every week for the fleet/BH comms either, although I'm sure they'll become easier with time and familiarity. Remember, we've been doing the old ones (counting beta) for over a year now, so you can pretty much sleepwalk through them. I suspect that once we get the timing down of when to use each ability, etc, the new missions will not be quite as hard.

dpwms
12.13.2012 , 11:16 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AuckaLukaum View Post
I suspect that once we get the timing down of when to use each ability, etc, the new missions will not be quite as hard.
Agreed. I think my beef with them is not that they are hard, but that they demand such specific timing and offer little choice in when to use abilities such as EMP and ECM. At least with the old missions, I never felt like I had to use a specific ability at a specific time or lose, such as I do with the new ones (best example being the very specific sequence of ECM and EMP required to get through the two minefields and damage the frigate in that mission whose name I forget). Not only are the missions on rails now, but so is the player, to an extent. Still like space missions though and I would have upgraded my ship for "RP" reasons anyway.

Goretzu
12.13.2012 , 11:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dpwms View Post
Yeah I've had a little play around with them, and mostly they just need to be learnt, there's lot more stuff to hit and places with only 1 non-damaging route through than prior ones.

They aren't particularly fun though.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

demotivator
12.13.2012 , 12:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by gpudh View Post
I have not been super impressed with the Grade 7 upgrades for star ships. Not any huge changed from my high end grade 6. I few points plus or minus here and there and 50 less missiles but with more damage (but damage of last missile set was not listed) I have not picked up the power conversion or emp pods yet. What is the difference? The emp still only lasts for 15 seconds. Is it a faster cooldown? What is the improvement on the power conversion? How much power to blasters? Does this take even more from shields or less?

I have tired new space missions and failed (granted I'm a sucky pilot) but it is a part of the game I like and if having all the grade 7 upgrades will help I would like to know to what extent it will help my poor skills.
My own experience is that upgrading to Grade 7 was the difference between surviving a mission but missing an objective because of low DPS - that means failure - and completing the same mission with some bonus.

So yes Grade 7 is definitely a step up.

The idea is that if you suck at space, Grade 7 won't help you anyway.
Randomizing your forums.

Felioats
12.13.2012 , 12:50 PM | #10
I was able to buy a few of the pieces on patch day, and I've only been able to complete one of the missions. I had hoped that with a full set, they would be close in difficulty to the old missions with tier 6. But yeah, these are so stupidly hard, I can't imagine a few more upgrades will help all that much.

I had no problem doing the old missions with full bonuses and not taking any armor damage.
>