Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

Monstein
12.23.2012 , 12:10 PM | #21
I read these type of post and figure it was a few players getting random stuff happening or bad play. I came back to the game the other day and started a Merc, I have two max Commandos. At lvl 27 I got jumped by a lvl28 dps shadow. He killed me before one tracker missile was fired. Was shocked to see that it really was as bad as everyone is saying.

hunterraaze
12.23.2012 , 12:12 PM | #22
I honestly don't think it can get any worse.

Macroeconomics
12.23.2012 , 07:47 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
There are so many things lacking with the class, specifically DPS, that it amazes me that this has been going on for nearly a year. I can only assume that something in Bioware's metrics has led them to believe the spec has been in balance for the last nine+ months, but I cannot fathom what on earth it could be.
It's like I have been saying for a year now - BW's metrics tell them that Merc dps is OP. We do more damage than other classes when measured from a meta average perspective. But BW is unable to discern that those meta averages are biased because they don't control for player quality. The other subclasses are overflowing with new players who are undergeared and are still learning their craft. And we all know how bad a newbie melee dps is. In contrast the Merc dps players, those left that is, are the last of their breed. Hard core, stubborn, geared to the max. Virtually only the best, most determined Merc dps players are left - they contribute nearly 100% of the Merc dps meta average.

The alternative explanation is that the devs are just stupid people. But my experience being within and managing large organizations is that an institutionalized policy that is stupid is NOT caused by people being stupid - it just requires too many stupid people to accomplish. Rather, when a large organization has institutionalized a stupid policy it is because A) the decision makers have the wrong reward criteria or B) they are getting bad information that they have (for whatever reason) learned to trust. And since we have no indication that the devs at BW are getting paid bonuses based on how few people play Mercs in warzones, we are left with explanation (B).

Meiluy
12.24.2012 , 11:47 PM | #24
Wait... is this why I keep getting ganged up on in WZs? I thought it was odd that I'd always seem to be the first guy targeted....
There is always light, even in the darkest shadows. Everyone can be redeemed.

TeganKing
12.30.2012 , 03:56 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Meiluy View Post
Wait... is this why I keep getting ganged up on in WZs? I thought it was odd that I'd always seem to be the first guy targeted....
They assume your a healer as its important to take out those first and there is no such thing as merc/commando dps

MitchPB
12.30.2012 , 07:27 PM | #26
I'm with everyone on this, I PVP on my merc everyday and it blows. Something needs to be done to it.

BUT

There is no point in class balancing before an expansion release.
<BOG> <Concept>

cashogy
12.30.2012 , 10:32 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
you could make it so that classes are balanced at the release of the expansion.
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Venlo
12.31.2012 , 01:39 AM | #28
Ok, now I know why I am getting focused immediately and I can do nothing at all against it.

I reactivated my merc after a one year pause but it was worthless. Sad that my invested time was completely wasted. I'll gonna make him a synthweaving avatar and that's it.
want to sell:

MitchPB
12.31.2012 , 03:16 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
you could make it so that classes are balanced at the release of the expansion.
That's most likely what's going to happen but I wouldn't get your hopes up given BW's track record for fixing things like this.
<BOG> <Concept>

Phasersablaze
12.31.2012 , 01:24 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
I'm with everyone on this, I PVP on my merc everyday and it blows. Something needs to be done to it.

BUT

There is when things like Smash Spec Jugg/Mara obviously need a nerf and new abilities/armor will not change that fact.