Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

Phasersablaze
12.15.2012 , 03:33 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Holinyx View Post
i guess i'm glad i don't pvp. PvE i'm still amazing. even saved the raid with my uberiffic dps in HM TFB.
not really understanding why you are saying the 6k heatseeker missles are nerfed....you think it should do 10k+?
You what????

Riggz
12.15.2012 , 04:49 PM | #12
Arsenal Merc in Raids = Awesoemsauce. Almost required to have at least one in serious progression raids

Arsenal Merc in PvP = suck out loud - free enemy kill

Pyro Merc in Raids = Blah

Pyro Merc in PvP = Blah

Bodyguard Merc in Raids = Blah

Bodyguard Merc in PvP = Sucks
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>

Phasersablaze
12.16.2012 , 01:46 PM | #13
No. Just no.

Mecanaries are good to have in raids, because they have clutch instant heals, but their dps does not stand out as much as people are saying.

Sniper, Marauder, and Powertech put out better results. And I'm speaking as a mercenary that parses 1900 consistently on a dummy and 1700+ on most ops.

Slicksteezin
12.17.2012 , 01:52 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
No. Just no.

Mecanaries are good to have in raids, because they have clutch instant heals, but their dps does not stand out as much as people are saying.

Sniper, Marauder, and Powertech put out better results. And I'm speaking as a mercenary that parses 1900 consistently on a dummy and 1700+ on most ops.
And i'm speaking as someone who has everyone one of those classes in high tier gear and i will un-biasedly say that geared powertechs cannot out DPS a geared PvE arsenal merc. My marauder is a toss up, totally depends on the fight. Sometimes it parses higher than my merc and sometimes my merc parsers higher. They are two completely different classes mechanic wise.

Sniper, yeah i can agree with all the DoTs sniper's have they usually parse higher but merc is always a close follow.

Macroeconomics
12.17.2012 , 08:37 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by IamBorg View Post
Nope, not true, you can still start scratching the bottom....
LOL. Yeah, I guess worse would be: they rip out your kidney and force you to friction grind your way through the rock bottom with your kidney.

Which could happen.

Kerhold
12.21.2012 , 05:32 AM | #16
Well, I can just only agree. Playing Merc in PVP is hard. I hope that BW could improve it's TTK.

Winguardian
12.21.2012 , 07:53 PM | #17
The reason it's so hard to balance merc is cause their damage is very good when left alone, now vs a good organized team mercs naturally get focussed cause if left untouched their AOE dps is off the charts. It's really hard to balance a merc in pvp cause in PVE they are good ranged dps. It's just not as easy as "change x to y and merc will be fine" .

Macroeconomics
12.22.2012 , 06:29 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Winguardian View Post
The reason it's so hard to balance merc is cause their damage is very good when left alone, now vs a good organized team mercs naturally get focussed cause if left untouched their AOE dps is off the charts. It's really hard to balance a merc in pvp cause in PVE they are good ranged dps. It's just not as easy as "change x to y and merc will be fine" .
This view gets advanced a lot, but it's simply not true. Even if left alone in PvP, a Merc's damage output is well below that of Jugg rage, Mara rage and Sorc dps who is left alone. And by well below, I mean those subclasses can score 30-50% higher damage than Merc dps when both classes are piloted by top players. When left alone Merc dps is approximately equal to that of Operative Lethality, with substantially less utility and survivability should an enemy turn their attention to them.

What I do agree with is that Merc dps is already competitive in PvE ops. And this then presents difficulty in how to boost Merc dps in PvP but not PvE. But it's not *THAT* hard. Adding traits like taking less damage when stunned or incapacitated, increasing movement speed, increasing snare effectiveness, increasing accuracy and lowering CD on Determination all would help Mercs in PvP while doing little to change them in PvE. The fact that the devs haven't done any of this, and in fact have done the reverse (nerfing Swelting Heat) shows how bad the situation is.

mandoforlife
12.22.2012 , 11:52 PM | #19
I really hope something is done soon. My merc is my main, and I refuse to give it up- I'm a PVP player I'll add, not PVE. But PVP as a merc can be quite painful, and it gets to me sometimes. Most everyone has agreed the mercs/mandos are the worst PVP class in the game, and they abuse it. I'm not lying when I say I've had at least 3 players stop what they're doing to kill me. I make 'em fight for it, but its inevitable that they'll kill me, because I can do NOTHING about it. Sure I can knock them back, and I can stun them (within 10 meters.. sigh) but that only delays them for a moment. Especially knights and warriors, they'll just leap right back and laugh as they slaughter you. I think the flood of warriors/knights in warzones has really made our situation worse, and more obvious.

Overall I think our damage is okay, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be given a little love. As long as pyro mercs rely on casted abilities to proc railshot, and to refresh CGC, we will always be sub-par to PT. And as long as we are given no means of effective escape and utility, Arsenal will remain with its current problems.

I think, overall, we need a reliable, non-spec reliant snare, and a "jet pack" escape ability.

Just my thoughts and ideas on the subject.
Vamark Skirata 55 Mercenary <Meet Killface>
Sirsuitntie Sorcerer - Jatne Operative - Zaavar Assassin - Alsaire Marauder
The Bastion

SpaniardInfinity
12.23.2012 , 10:19 AM | #20
I usually post over on the Commando mirror forums, but I agree for the most part. There are so many things lacking with the class, specifically DPS, that it amazes me that this has been going on for nearly a year. I can only assume that something in Bioware's metrics has led them to believe the spec has been in balance for the last nine+ months, but I cannot fathom what on earth it could be.

Really, this comes down to the following problem and it was a complaint raised after 1.2 nerfs to the AC: there is a difference between being viable and being competitive. Every class in this game is 100% viable. I've seen every class at end-game and ever class do the content, so clearly they are all capable of doing it. But Commando/Mercenary (specifically DPS) is not competitive. With the exception of the healers (and even that's debated), Commando/Mercenary brings nothing valuable to your team that isn't better accomplished by another AC. That's the root of the problem right there. It's a class of weaknesses without any clear strengths. It's terrible design and surprisingly, the exact opposite problem is existing for Smashers currently (they have too many strengths for so few weaknesses).

Something needs to be done. And at this point, there's isn't even enough of the horse left to beat.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>