Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

Krozis
12.13.2012 , 09:36 AM | #1
...before the Devs DO something?

I've been posting on and off with this subject for months. The history is out there:

-They nerfed us several times without knowing what was 'wrong'.
-They figured out what was 'wrong' and now my damage is nerfed but they didn't undo all the other nerfs!

In the meantime:
- BW buffed other classes, hurting us indirectly
- BW changed the expertise formula lowering Time to Death to the point they had to remove PVP adrenals. This ALSO hurt us immensely being a 'casting class'.

As a result:
- infinite wisdom gave us the crappiest buff tied to a power that's already handicapped: Tracer Missile/heal.
-Incidentally, the rocket punch 'buff' became perhaps the most controversial "BUFF" (IE: nerf) in the game's short history.
- The class is still largely useless in PVP.

Where are we now?
- Several weeks have passed and Dev's have hinted at 'an escape mechanism issue'. This is like saying the Titanic has a leak issue.
- Nerfs are STILL in place that were erroneously placed on us during the misunderstanding of the math behind Heatseeker missile (which by the way is a massive DUD ability now).
- We fight to be the 'equal' of our Powertech brethren, but the reality is we don't do the burst, we don't have even their paltry level of utility. Their version of Pyrotech is still miles ahead of ours. This is not debatable.

Competitively speaking:
- I won't name names, but I have guildies that if they see one Arsenal Merc (noted by cylinder equipped) they leave the Warzone before it starts. Some guildies leave even if the Merc is Pyro. Some guildies leave no matter what spec the Merc is if his health is </= 15K.

- I am not allowed to play my Merc in rateds.

- I personally feel that the real negativity and the 'perceived' negativity towards merc class makes it too difficult for me to play mine without hostility from teammates. (it's just not worth the hassle - from strangers or guildies)

- We have a 50+ page thread begging for changes by the merc community. Non-merc players often chime in with agreement to these threads. We often see 2-3 of these threads going every week.

So then WHY.....

.... aren't you doing anything BW? Do we REALLY have to wait until 1.7+? And that isn't even a guarantee of anything significant. (IE. our last 'buff' was a total disaster.)

Unfortunately I hesitantly admit a LOT of VERY bad PVPers play Mercenary. They are comfortable with the premise of standing on a ledge hitting Tracer 2-3x and Heatseeker once. It's not a difficult mechanic. Admittedly the class does attract a lot of mediocrity. However for a good player to shine this class presents a ridiculous challenge given the current state of the above mentioned conditions.

So then HOW long are you going to let this go on? I am a full subscriber and you've neutered my favorite character. For the time being I reluctantly play my Powertech who has ALL my Warhero gear. However, my Mercenary has ALL my shells! I have never enjoyed the inherent playstyle of my PT compared to my Merc.

As a subscriber in this situation, you can see how I would be reaching a level of frustration that is getting > than my enjoyment out of this game.

I apologize for the wordiness, but I wanted to be specific. This isn't about asking for an 'I win' button. This class is why I play(ed) the game. You have had an exorbitant amount of time to react to this situation and we're still waiting.... How much longer do you think it's reasonable for me (us) to wait Bioware?
̿̿'̿̿\̵͇̿̿\= Formerly from a big guild that is now hundreds of tiny guilds. =/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿
Krozis \ Vintego \ Vint

maestruljedi
12.13.2012 , 10:44 AM | #2
Once you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

Beastmanxx
12.13.2012 , 11:19 AM | #3
I dont know what you are talking about I've seen mercs kick some serious crap out of people who were in pvp guilds and war hero geared. Its about keeping distance between melee and you and for range, keep hitting damage on em and heal yourself if you can, which you use ur knockback and pop a few heals. Mercs are good pvpers, it just takes practice.

IamBorg
12.13.2012 , 11:45 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by maestruljedi View Post
Once you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.
Nope, not true, you can still start scratching the bottom....

IamBorg
12.13.2012 , 11:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Beastmanxx View Post
I dont know what you are talking about I've seen mercs kick some serious crap out of people who were in pvp guilds and war hero geared. Its about keeping distance between melee and you and for range, keep hitting damage on em and heal yourself if you can, which you use ur knockback and pop a few heals. Mercs are good pvpers, it just takes practice.

Yeah, right, if you hav a healer on your back, another class "tanking" your target AND noone else looking at you with a murderous intention in the eyes, THEN YES, you can kick in serious damage.
The OP stated our inefficiency in almost all situations when ANY OTHER class just spot you, recognizing you are THE PREY (they just say: oh look there a FREE KILL turret, let's go !!!) and comes on you. At that point, unless your opponent is heavily undergeared OR he really doesn't know **** about how to play his class, we are just dead meat.
On every 1v1 with same geared enemies and even skilled opponents (of other classes, of course) we have no chances to win, sorry.
On this bases I just retired my merc arsenal from pvp while on full WH and EWH weapons at 90 valor because I could not bear anymore the pain of it (or the refuses of ranked groups to accept a merc arsenal coz it's a waste of a spot in the group itself) and just enjoy playing it in PvE, where it shines (because we can do what we are designed for: immobile turret + use some good situational skills like our heal to save the tank/healer and/or the in fight rez).
Till BW will change something, hopefully.

CommanderSotelo
12.13.2012 , 09:35 PM | #6
I was about to start a thread about this, but you've practically spoken all the words on my mind.

My Arsenal Merc was the first character I ever rolled in this game, and I loved it. It took me a while to get the hang of the game, and by the time I had Tracer Missile it had already been debuffed, nerfed, whichever you wanna call it. Then, as I got a hold of how to REALLY play the class, I sped onwards through to level 47 until I completed class quests. Before I hit 50, I topped every PvP match I played, win or not. Then I actually made it into 50 and boy was I in for a sudden realization just how bad they were managing our class. And now, with the nerf on electro dart and rocket punch, I'm over the edge of frustration, hell, frustrating isn't enough of a word to describe how pissed I get when I get pulled into a 1v1 by some war hero (now elite) pub. Add that they nerfed the PvP adrenals, too, I just cant stand PvP anymore. BioWare has made me hate the class I loved so much when I first rolled. I still haven't unsubbed yet, and I doubt I will, but I prefer the excitement of objective PvP over daily grinding and FP/OPs. Add the new CC system with stun locks, and well, you've got one mad mowhawked merc.

Get a (insert your favorite swear here) clue, BioWare. I don't know how much longer you can actually drag this on.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Iīm the absolute randomest stranger you ever met
I hope BW soon adds more stuff I canīt afford with my playstyle
Hoth Beach Club @ The Harbinger
The Mar'si Legacy

CommanderSotelo
12.13.2012 , 09:35 PM | #7
Please, if you view this forum, PLEASE give it a 5-star rating
Iīm the absolute randomest stranger you ever met
I hope BW soon adds more stuff I canīt afford with my playstyle
Hoth Beach Club @ The Harbinger
The Mar'si Legacy

Slicksteezin
12.14.2012 , 01:18 AM | #8
Yeah dude, i completely agree with this post.

Now that we are post 1.6, it's really just getting flat out ridiculous; no, its beyond that - its insulting to us that have put time into our mercenaries. (regarding PVP)

I am very curious as to what the dev's have to say regarding this (if that ever happens), considering at this point there really is no legitimate excuse as to why they have locked this class in the dungeon for so long. Think back - out of all of the nerf's, 1.2 was when it all started. How long ago was 1.2? Not long after launch.

The mercenary community has more than done their part in making their voice heard in the matter, from the beyond fusterated people that don't do the class any justice for the future, to the people that put in a real effort into whole heartedly trying to show Bioware not only the problem, but a way to fix it. It has gotten so bad that people that do not even play merc chime in to voice how bad this class really needs some love.

All in all, it's unbelievable that this has gone on for so long. I think the lack of initiative this company is showing for not only changes, but a simple response to the community (i mean really? wth) is starting to become flat out disrespectful.

Last time i checked, MMO's take a lot of time to invest in. Bioware tell me, what do you want me to say as a pre-launch subscriber who has primarily played the merc class, regarding why i should continue to put up with your incompetence? Change needs to happen now. NOT 1.7.

Holinyx
12.14.2012 , 08:55 PM | #9
i guess i'm glad i don't pvp. PvE i'm still amazing. even saved the raid with my uberiffic dps in HM TFB.
not really understanding why you are saying the 6k heatseeker missles are nerfed....you think it should do 10k+?
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

Griftter
12.14.2012 , 11:48 PM | #10
I am betting it is going to get worse. Pyrotech PT's are no doubt going to get a nerf and that will probably affect our pyro tree as well.